Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    D&D consistantly rates armies as Low level troops of 1-2 level fighters. [..., instead] consider any veteran troops at least 5th level Fighters.
    One of the things I liked about Heroes of Battle is that it abandons this assumption. Human recruits are Warrior 1, Human soldiers are Fighter 2, Human elite soldiers are Fighter 4, and Human elite cavalry are Fighter 5.

Of course how many of which fill out the regent's units is another question. My own sense is that regular standing units are composed mostly of F2 and W2 and 3, and that elite units have F3, 4, and 5.

Class levels for everyone! Monster's too!
    hurrah!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Knight View Post
    Here is a potential problem; while HEROES certainly have fewer hit points than they used to on higher levels...everyone will have MORE hit points at low levels, minor goons included.
    Just remember about the "Shock" value of AGoT, taking damage equal to half your Con score results in a massive damage save or you're stunned, possibly dying. For weapons its no biggie as armor helps against this, but a fireball can easily bypass this shock value even on a successful saving throw.

If you add your armor bonus to your shock value vs. spells, this could probably help a bit though.

Downloads
    Uploads

So you have spent the last 5-10 years at the service of Lord and Country - going through your arduous training from age 16 onwards - fighting several scirmishes with bandits, goblins, Gnolls, other Lords troops - fist fighting in the bars, getting into those illegal duels over the girls. Not to mention the failed invasion of Tournen and that encounter besieged in a border tower by Rhoubes Lieutenant. Hunting those wild boar to supplement your rations. Constantly pushed through drills and training etc etc.

And you, through all this have managed to get How many XP??? Big fat 0...
    Well, although D20 kicks the levels up like a sugar junkie, generally PC's take on monsters that are an even match or not far short. Soldiers on the other hand generally fight CR1 or 2 opponents at best and prefer to load the odds in their favour - preferably extra-ordinarily so.

If your soldier is typically spending most of his time on guard duty, perhaps subduing the odd drunken peasant, and only actually at war for a few battles in every few years then they are unlikely to get many encounters worthy of experience - him and a dozen mates ploughing a few drunk peasants in a bar doesn't qualify.

If the soldier was routinely engaging in deadly encounters he would swiftly find that while a PC generally has a priest buddy close to hand and a hipful of potions of healing, the common grunt is not so lucky - or as long lived.

From a game balance point I see the issue - but I'd restrict high level characters not just buff everyone.

Admittedly I'm old school where a L1 fighter was titled a veteran...

I'd say L1 is a few good battles 'after basic', L2 is 2-3 years experience, L3 is 5-10 years and progress continues to slow - a grunt will rarely fight anything of CR2 or more and even then will generally do so with superior numbers.

In my view any grunt who hears 'ogre' and shouts 'huzzah!' before charging to glory is unlikely to survive long or do well in the discipline of an army.

Class levels for everyone! Monster's too!
    You mean there are people who don't give monsters class levels to buff them up :confused: But how do their giants get whirlwind attack?

Thread Information