Conventional (mmo)games have class based+talent character progression
I have been tossing with the idea to throw that all over board and let the player character just have a skill based advancing system.

my thoughts behind this is when you start a character, you start a character from zero. Based on the choices you make when talking to people, the quests you do, the discoveries you make you will learn things as you go and develop your character.
if you have a sole spell caster in mind you might want to stick around doing certain NPC's and do their (dirty) work first.
but if you'd like a more diverse character you can explore more and learn other abilities and things to become an arcane spell fighter for or something.

What i want to prevent is that this game is going to be to easy and too obvious. like go to that area and bring me 10 of something, and ill mark on the map where that is.
I am thinking of actually removing things like big yellow question marks from quest givers, so you actually need to talk to people to see if they might have a quest, perhaps they need some convincing as well to give you some quests.

anyway, i am open to all kinds of comments and ideas.
let me know