Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks nice. Good luck with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, this looks impressive as all get out. I've been poking around with game engines lately for a project (or two... or six...) of my own, and Unity looks like the way to go to me as well. For straight up storytelling there's probably simpler systems (Renpy) but for a game you need more versatility.

Thanks for the links. I'm going to go through that stuff and try to get up to speed. Maybe I can contribute, though I can't make any predictions right now.

I'm still keeping an eye out for this. Still very interested in helping.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JakobLiar View Post
    I'm still keeping an eye out for this. Still very interested in helping.
    Sure, any help and input is welcome.
    Atavism is about to release a new update which includes Auction house, enchanting/modding, armor sets and a whole bunch more.
    So everything is ready to go (engine wise) "just" needs it implementation

At the moment while waiting for the new release i am exploring the world creation, ie the landmass, waters, foliage etc. as well as trying out to get a nice looking art-style.

My problem is that i want to do everything TOO perfect from the start, while it is probably better to prototype first with placeholders.
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My other half is working on a game of their own and had to choose between Unity and Unreal. They found that Unity looked great but Unreal was easier to work with and had cheaper entity libraries, so they have gone for a more cartoon environment. Currently only working on the world. Waiting for our kid to get training and become a better game programmer than me. Might take a couple of years.

Sorontar, who is being serious about this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
    My other half is working on a game of their own and had to choose between Unity and Unreal. They found that Unity looked great but Unreal was easier to work with and had cheaper entity libraries, so they have gone for a more cartoon environment. Currently only working on the world. Waiting for our kid to get training and become a better game programmer than me. Might take a couple of years.

Sorontar, who is being serious about this.
    Funny, those are the exact same reasons why i choose Unity.
    While unreal has the blueprints you do need to know c++ if you need to program something. (which has a steeper learning curve)

Since i already "know" php, java, python and other similar scripting, C# was a more straight forward choice.

the assets/libraries are quite the same for both engines. most of the developers publish their assets on both stores.

That being said, since i wanted to make a MMO i needed a server side solution to handle everything like dmg control, player positions, guilds, building system etc.. I looked into quite some different solutions.
    while unreal has a better network solution then unity i bumped into atavism www.atavismonline.com
    That ready out of the box solution really fits my needs and is super scalable to 16 servers per world.
    Their goal is to make a game ready framework where you just add your own stuff and it works out of the box.
    So with this solution you can think more on creating the world instead of programming all the features first.
    So for indy game devs and big dreamers like me its an amazing tool.
    IT was bought last years by dragonsan studios and they are developing it like crazy. Its becoming a very mature solutions very fast.

So that leaves us to do only the fun stuff

Downloads
    Uploads
    Funny, those are the exact same reasons why i choose Unity.
    While unreal has the blueprints you do need to know c++ if you need to program something. (which has a steeper learning curve)
    Talked to my other half and I found was confused with why they chose Unreal. The major thing was that the programming development interface was easier to work with than that for Unity. Unreal also had more realistic entities than Unity, though at this stage they are not being used. The main objective is to make a horse-based game so they had to be able to get a suitable horse blueprint as well and they found one that works in both Unreal and Unity.

I am comfortable with all sorts of programming languages but haven't had to develop any (serious) games. However, my kid is about to start a two year course on game development on Unity so we are hoping they will learn the best way to approach that aspect.

I am glad you found atavism and that it seems to meet your needs. I have been a fussy computer scientist and tend to write a lot of things myself because libraries don't always meet my needs.

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
    I am comfortable with all sorts of programming languages but haven't had to develop any (serious) games. However, my kid is about to start a two year course on game development on Unity so we are hoping they will learn the best way to approach that aspect.

I am glad you found atavism and that it seems to meet your needs. I have been a fussy computer scientist and tend to write a lot of things myself because libraries don't always meet my needs.
    Atavism is great out of the box, but certainly need some extra programming to fully fulfill the needs or ideas.
    Right now for example the guild system is very basic. And for birthright that is one of the core ingredients. So that one definitely needs to get programmed and extended as well as other things like a deity system.

so if you are up for a challenge and want to help out, all help is welcome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im fairly useless when it comes to game creation. However, if you need help with story writing, I'd be happy to help.

Thread Information