Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Magician spells

Makes sense!

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdaorin
    What was the purpose of giving Magicians Decipher Script and Use Magic Device?
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Conceptually - especially in terms of arcane abilities - they were similar to bards, who had those skills, as did rogues.
    Indeed, i always found magicians to be part wizard, part rogue (in the 2nd ed sense). In 2nd ed they even had access to the rogue proficiency group.

Use Magic Device and Decipher Script make sense to me since they both involve the esoteric. Magicians are primarily a magic-casting class, so i think those skills fit.

But another good addition i think is Sleight of Hand (or Pick Pockets, depending on what version we're discussing). Some magicians can serve leaders as diviners, but they can also play the role of charlatan or entertainer: using illusions and non-magical tricks on naive targets for whatever gain. As part of the role of deceiver, sleight of hand fits perfectly. (After all, any good Vegas magician today, say Penn & Teller, is a master of the sleight of hand. )

-FIzz

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
    But another good addition i think is Sleight of Hand (or Pick Pockets, depending on what version we're discussing). Some magicians can serve leaders as diviners, but they can also play the role of charlatan or entertainer: using illusions and non-magical tricks on naive targets for whatever gain. As part of the role of deceiver, sleight of hand fits perfectly. (After all, any good Vegas magician today, say Penn & Teller, is a master of the sleight of hand. )
    -FIzz
    The 3.5 BRCS Magician has both Sleight of Hand and Perform as class skills for that exact reason.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    The 3.5 BRCS Magician has both Sleight of Hand and Perform as class skills for that exact reason.
    Ah interesting. I think i have only ever looked at the 3E BRCS, which does not have sleight of hand (no pick pockets either) for magicians. Good to know it's fixed in the newest version.

-Fizz

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
    Ah interesting. I think i have only ever looked at the 3E BRCS, which does not have sleight of hand (no pick pockets either) for magicians. Good to know it's fixed in the newest version.

-Fizz
    The wiki provides really easy access via the home page table of contents to any part of the 3.5 BRCS. Quite handy!

Downloads
    Uploads
    A magician is also more likely to use "tools" - as in magical items, or items that can do magic - to increase their capabilities but given the low magic level of Cerilia, these are most likely to be rare or hand-made, so not high level and not mass-produced. This requires some level of understanding of magical writings and artifacts. Magicians may be con artists (in a sense) but they are also more accessible than the normal True Mage, so people may see them as experts, even though they are limited in what they can do.

Sorontar

Thread Information