Downloads
    Uploads

Vassal Game Engine

Is anyone familiar with the Vassal game maker engine? http://www.vassalengine.org/index.php

As far as I can tell, you're supposed to be able to do quite a bit to build out and mimic board games, war games, card games, etc. And it can be done with or without automation, and allows for turn based PBEM games by saving log files.

Has anyone delved into this system? Would it be a good candidate for automating Birthright, using a playable game map?

I'm not sure how many "sides" it can support (simultaneous players), and how difficult it would be to set up the map, markers, province/holding data, actions, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm using it for a few PBEM wargames. I have no idea how to make a map or module, or that automation was even an option. Sorry I can't help at all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I'm using it for a few PBEM wargames. I have no idea how to make a map or module, or that automation was even an option. Sorry I can't help at all.
    How are you using it? Did you find a module that had been made already? I didn't see any for BR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I've been using premade modules.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Is anyone familiar with the Vassal game maker engine? http://www.vassalengine.org/index.php

As far as I can tell, you're supposed to be able to do quite a bit to build out and mimic board games, war games, card games, etc. And it can be done with or without automation, and allows for turn based PBEM games by saving log files.

Has anyone delved into this system? Would it be a good candidate for automating Birthright, using a playable game map?

I'm not sure how many "sides" it can support (simultaneous players), and how difficult it would be to set up the map, markers, province/holding data, actions, etc.
    I'm quite familiar with Vassal. I maintain the Star Wars: Armada miniatures game module.

What you are describing is indeed possible in Vassal.

At the most basic level you could take a hi-res map, then scale it down to a size Vassal can handle. Then you'd need to add all sorts of counters, trackers and reference sheets, plus the battle map.

Then you'd have a module with all the basic functionality you needed.

It is possible to automate many features, such as income generation, but that's a bit more involved.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Knight View Post
    I'm quite familiar with Vassal. I maintain the Star Wars: Armada miniatures game module.

What you are describing is indeed possible in Vassal.

At the most basic level you could take a hi-res map, then scale it down to a size Vassal can handle. Then you'd need to add all sorts of counters, trackers and reference sheets, plus the battle map.

Then you'd have a module with all the basic functionality you needed.

It is possible to automate many features, such as income generation, but that's a bit more involved.
    Awesome, Green Knight! I've actually wanted to play Star Wars Armada with people remotely -- are you the main person responsible for it?

Regarding Birthright, do you think it would be particularly difficult to set up an interactive game map, for instance just to support a PBEM/PBP game? Up to a couple dozen people on the map?

Or at least have it work for the GM to maintain info on?

I can see how many players might run into problems with permissions -- who controls what and can do what. And turn order, if it doesn't wait until end of turn for adjustments.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Awesome, Green Knight! I've actually wanted to play Star Wars Armada with people remotely -- are you the main person responsible for it?

Regarding Birthright, do you think it would be particularly difficult to set up an interactive game map, for instance just to support a PBEM/PBP game? Up to a couple dozen people on the map?

Or at least have it work for the GM to maintain info on?

I can see how many players might run into problems with permissions -- who controls what and can do what. And turn order, if it doesn't wait until end of turn for adjustments.
    I am indeed the main (and only) dev for the Armada module (same username on FFG forums/Vassal). Although I must add that I've taken a break from Armada. Not permanent, but I needed to do something else. Currently my involvement in the module only extends to writing custom java classes.

If you wanted to make Vassal BR, you'd have to decide upon some stuff in the design phase:

How much stuff do you want to track ON THE MAP?

Just the provinces and their borders, plus presumably military units?
    Or do you want to be able to display province levels?
    Holding levels?
    Fortifications?
    Ownership of assets?
    Etc.

How do you want to do battles? The BR-standard battle map & cards? Some other system?

You also need to decide upon scope. Just Anuire & borderlands, all of Cerilia, some other place?

I do not think making a Vassal BR module would be difficult as such. But it would be time-consuming to great graphics for everything, import it into the module, and tie it all together.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Thread Information