Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Resurrecting Birthright

Hi everyone,

I've been playing this game since it came out, in 1995 and only stopped two years ago because our GM didn't have time anymore.

I've played a dozen different RPG but Birthright has always been my favourite. I also designed an application a few years ago to help the GM manage his campaigns (the link must still be somewhere on this forum ).

A couple of weeks ago, I decided, along with some friends and colleagues, that it would be nice to buy the license for the Birthright Campaign Setting from WotC and to resurrect the game buy publishing new supplements and creating a web application that would allow people to play online.

We have a strong team (11 people) of web developpers, illustrators and professional RPG authors ready to give it a try and considering the recent revival of RPGs, we believe it could be a success.

Early this week, I tried to contact WotC by sending them a nice presentation, along with our proposal. Unfortunately, the only way to contact WotC seems to be through their Customer Service online form and you can imagine that the guy who received my message doesn't have the power to negotiate such things.

I can tell from his answer that he didn't even bother reading the presentation, as he said they could not give us the permission to use the license because they only allow the use of the OGL (Open Game License) or stuff that is on the DM's Guild page. He didn't understand that we are not asking the permission to use the license, we are asking if they would be willing the sell us the license

So anyway, my question for you is: would you have any suggestion on how to contact the right people directly, without going through the 1st line support. Has any of you already been in contact with someone with a managerial position at WotC and maybe could share the info?

I am still trying to convince the Customer Service to forward my message to the right people but in the meantime, any help to get our message through would be appreciated.

I will keep you posted.

Love is the Law,
    Blaede

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaede View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've been playing this game since it came out, in 1995 and only stopped two years ago because our GM didn't have time anymore.

I've played a dozen different RPG but Birthright has always been my favourite. I also designed an application a few years ago to help the GM manage his campaigns (the link must still be somewhere on this forum ).

A couple of weeks ago, I decided, along with some friends and colleagues, that it would be nice to buy the license for the Birthright Campaign Setting from WotC and to resurrect the game buy publishing new supplements and creating a web application that would allow people to play online.

We have a strong team (11 people) of web developpers, illustrators and professional RPG authors ready to give it a try and considering the recent revival of RPGs, we believe it could be a success.

Early this week, I tried to contact WotC by sending them a nice presentation, along with our proposal. Unfortunately, the only way to contact WotC seems to be through their Customer Service online form and you can imagine that the guy who received my message doesn't have the power to negotiate such things.

I can tell from his answer that he didn't even bother reading the presentation, as he said they could not give us the permission to use the license because they only allow the use of the OGL (Open Game License) or stuff that is on the DM's Guild page. He didn't understand that we are not asking the permission to use the license, we are asking if they would be willing the sell us the license

So anyway, my question for you is: would you have any suggestion on how to contact the right people directly, without going through the 1st line support. Has any of you already been in contact with someone with a managerial position at WotC and maybe could share the info?

I am still trying to convince the Customer Service to forward my message to the right people but in the meantime, any help to get our message through would be appreciated.

I will keep you posted.

Love is the Law,
    Blaede
    Blaede i can help you with a few things. A couple of years ago i was in contact with their lawyers and Rich Baker as well to talk about the same goal.
    Send me a msg/email and we can talk some more in depth.
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Done

Downloads
    Uploads
    sound nice. Keep in touch

I just received what seems to be WotC final answer.

Hello again, Nicolas. I’m sorry if my response was less clear than I intended. I’ll give you a little more insight into the answer I provided. I am the customer-facing voice of the Permissions team. I have spoken with the D&D team, and while they appreciate your interest in the Birthright campaign setting, Wizards is not interested in selling the rights to any of our D&D worlds. As the fifth edition Dungeon Master's Guide mentions, all our worlds are part of a greater multiverse, including the world of Aebrynis (of Birthright fame). While we may occasionally work with partners to create updated versions of our stories and campaign settings, like we did with Tracy and Laura Hickman on Curse of Strahd, we do still intend to own our worlds.

While we cannot speak specifically about any plans for the Birthright campaign setting, or a 5e reworking of realm management rules or resources, until such resources are created, fans are welcome to use 5E rules alongside their original Birthright sourcebooks. The realm management aspect of Birthright is pretty modular in itself. If you want to create and distribute a realm management tool, I recommend that it not use our IP. If you’re unsure about what counts as our IP, we recommend you seek advice from your own legal counsel.

Thank you again for your interest, and for your love of Birthright!
    At least I tried...

Thanks Arjan for the contacts, seems I won't need them after all.
    Cheers,
    Blaede

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaede View Post
    I just received what seems to be WotC final answer.

At least I tried...

Thanks Arjan for the contacts, seems I won't need them after all.
    Cheers,
    Blaede
    maybe the "Patron" way is to avoid all IP violations.
    You publish the tool foor free on sites like BRnet as being fan made.
    But people can support you on Patron.

I was actually considering this for BRnet, so that we could hire writers/artists to actually continue developing BRnet
    Last edited by Arjan; 04-08-2018 at 05:55 PM.
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At least WOTC have remembers BR now, they forgot us when they did their big 'all the settings' compendium a while back.

Patreon might be one approach, I can see it working for a 'Princess Ark' type exploration of a setting, but for 1-off projects I'm less certain, you would wind up struggling to get enough people together at any one time I fear, and those who came later would have no clear way to contribute.

It might be possible to do a chapter at a time via Patreon, that would spread the load, but the trouble is the iterative nature of any new edition.

Plus to do it properly you would need a realm management tool to handle all the book-keeping, and that would not be easy, particularly if you allowed a few rules variants to be used with it.
    Last edited by AndrewTall; 04-13-2018 at 09:37 PM.

Hi guys!

Since WotC doesn't want to play ball, we decided to create a new RPG altogether.
    The game will offer 3 original settings: Fantasy, Modern and SF and will contain its own original game system but will also be compatible with other open game systems like D20, Pathfinder...

And of course, it will also offer a domain management system, heavily inspired by Birthright, with the blessing of Richard Baker (the creator of Birthright) who kindly agreed to write the preface.

Last but not least, a web application will be available as a book keeper for the GM to support him in managing his campaign and give the possibility to the players to play online.

In order to fund this bold project, a Kickstarter will be launched this summer. A preview page will already be created next month and of course I will link it here as soon as it's up!

Cheers,
    Blaede

Sweet. Good luck with that, Blaede. I can't wait to see an active RPG system using the Domain system (I think Conan is going to /try/ to do something like that, but their Mass Combat rules were quite disappointing to me).

Like I bet a good amount of people would say, if you need help writing any details or fantasy/SF work let me know. I've written a couple tidbits for a couple 3rd Party PDFs, though nothing big. I'd love to help advance the cause, even if its only through Kickstarter.

Thank you Jakob,

The preview page on Kickstarter is coming very soon (hopefully next week).
    I'll post a link here asap of course

Thread Information