Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I still check in a few times a month. Growing family and other obligations keep me limited, but I still have a special interest in the community, setting, and game.

How much time, effort, and money is required to keep this thing alive?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    I still check in a few times a month. Growing family and other obligations keep me limited, but I still have a special interest in the community, setting, and game.

How much time, effort, and money is required to keep this thing alive?
    The time and effort can be endless, as far as the money not too much. we are on a shared server with athas.org and so far i didnt have a complain about sharing the costs.
    Sindre is still paying for the domain.

So that leaves us to the software being used.
    we started out with wikipedias software mediawiki, but at one point we created a bridge between vbulleting and mediawiki (VbWiki)
    eventually we merged the two into vbulletin using a vbulletin mod call vaultwiki
    https://www.vaultwiki.org/features/

Not sure we have the latest version.

Anyway, an option is, like nick proposed to "roll-back" to MediaWiki.
    Thats gonna be an immense amount of work considering the work that has been put in converting it to vaultwiki in the first place.
    but yes, i am afraid it will be a page to page copy job.

The good thing about doing that, we can sort out certain things as well to clear things up. (clean/enhance brwiki)
    And we know the mediawiki software will be kept in development for wikipedia.
    So that could be a safe/wise move to keep BRnet alive.

The forum software could still run, but it will loose the once so admired vaultwiki integration..
    there are still a few plugins that connect vbulletin with mediawiki
    https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Exten...rs_Integration

so yes, that could work.
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    as a matter of fact the old mediawiki install is still up and running. (kept it there for reference when copying it)
    http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Main_Page
    might need a little update

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjan View Post
    as a matter of fact the old mediawiki install is still up and running. (kept it there for reference when copying it)
    http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Main_Page
    might need a little update
    Last content edits to that version of BrWiki were 30 September 2011. Not sure how much we have added to BrWiki (or changed to those pages) since then. I know a lot of the manual changes were fixing 'special' characters like quotation marks, and adding or removing blank lines due to the WYSIWYG nature of the new software. Manually it was a lot of work. Automating conversions like that is a lot better. Believe me, as a data scientist, this is what I try to do with data regularly (but still have to do some grunt work manually unfortunately).

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been using the site more in the last few months than I have for years due to a new game I'm running in Muden.

I'm to the point where I'm looking at running a West Marches style game in Cerilia beginning this summer, so I can easily see a point where I'm referencing information here much more often.

I can see the need for some kind of platform update/shift to clean things up but I'm quite thankful that it's just here!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
    Last content edits to that version of BrWiki were 30 September 2011. Not sure how much we have added to BrWiki (or changed to those pages) since then. I know a lot of the manual changes were fixing 'special' characters like quotation marks, and adding or removing blank lines due to the WYSIWYG nature of the new software. Manually it was a lot of work. Automating conversions like that is a lot better. Believe me, as a data scientist, this is what I try to do with data regularly (but still have to do some grunt work manually unfortunately).

Sorontar
    true, most of the edits after the conversion from mediawiki were because of the incompatibility of some of the mediawiki addons we were using like variable and dynamic pagelist.

I am not saying it wont be a lot of work, but it might be a good idea for the continuity of the website. mediawiki (i assume) wont have an end of life anytime soon.

I used to have a lot of rainy sundays in holland, but here in Lima i have waaaay less

Downloads
    Uploads
    I check in most days, but have much less time generally due to RL changes. I have a lot of fond memories of the site though so am happy to help where I can and with the costs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjan View Post
    true, most of the edits after the conversion from mediawiki were because of the incompatibility of some of the mediawiki addons we were using like variable and dynamic pagelist.
    BUT BUT BUT Halspaka and The Siren's Relam!!! lol
    --Give me ambiguity or give me something else!--

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgreyden View Post
    BUT BUT BUT Halspaka and The Siren's Relam!!! lol
    Exactly, a "few" pages were created afterwards as well hehe

Downloads
    Uploads
    For the VBulletin i buy the last version, for vaultwiki i buy a licence forever for xenforo (the license for vbulletin expire some years before), i buy xenforo too.

My first idea was to migrate vBulletin in the next version but vBulletin declined (lot of people want leave it for some reason, one of them is the bad code). i saw Xenforo (created by some developper from vbulletin who want do more better than vBulletin).

So my second idea is to migrate to xenforo. i succeed it with some hack i need do but succeed. I begin to do migrate all template but i see a problem when i try to migrate the wiki...i search a good way to did it, but everytime i lost some data or the wiki have no link to the forum.

These, they take me lot of time. Now, i think the best way, it's not this.

Thread Information