Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which edition would you most prefer your Birthright with?

I'm considering working, yet again, on setting up a Birthright PBeM and would very much like to know what edition of Dungeons and Dragons (or possibly Pathfinder) people would mostly prefer to play with. Go with the normal 2nd Edition AD&D, 3rd, 3.5, 4th, 5th, Pathfinder?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I tend to favor the 2nd edition rules as originally written, but as I like D&D 3.5/Pathfinder for most other RP'ing, I'm certainly not opposed to that rule set either. I have a pathological hatred for 4th edition, and as of yet, I haven't touched 5th (despite hearing a number of good things about it).

That's me, in a nutshell.

Now ... how do I get out of this nutshell?
    "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    - George Washington

Quod illo, senito aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I played a lot of 2e and 3e and liked them both, 4e killed me as a RP'er almost completely - I lurk on BR.net and that's all nowadays

Despite the fact that I am currently playing a lot of 5E, I've been taking a huge look at 2E again and trying to remember how it all works.

I know this is probably something easily answered, but I am curious as to how one goes about dividing sections of maps up to become provinces, and how to devise what initial stats (Province Level / Magic (whatever the second one is) ) a province has prior to colonization? I am going to use part of an Adurian map (assuming that Rich Baker doesn't mind me using his map of Aduria).

Downloads
    Uploads
    In theory for all holdings except sources I would follow local racial and political divisions to create provinces, sub-dividing where required to get consistent size (so for example: north spiderfell, south spiderfell and the heart of the fell for the spiderfell).

For sources the key is the natural landscape, swamps, forest, mountains etc should be distinct provinces.

In practice most political and racial borders follow natural boundaries (rivers for example), the only real problem in the two approaches is mountains (each political faction claims 1 side which is fine for landed holders but cripples wizards), swamps (usually only a notional border of course but again it may be split).

Underdark and shadowworld provinces are slightly problematic as there are no 'standard maps'. As a practical solution I used the 'normal world' name and just mapped the provinces to the alternate realms, so Rivenrock deeps, Rivenrock spirit world and Riven rock shadowworld would all be deemed to follow the same boundary as Riven rock to avoid the need to draw multiple maps. If you aren't using those realms then of course it gets a bit easier.

Understood.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On the map question, how have people created maps with color-coded provinces for online Play-By-Post games? I've seen some where you can even highlight, click, or select the actual provinces.

I really wish we could create an interactive map of Cerilia. I can do a little programming and database work, but I've never been able to figure out how to build anything like an interactive map that could be put up on a web page. Let alone something fairly easy to create and edit (to change which provinces are within which realm boundaries, and change stats on the provinces, etc).

I've long felt that PBEMs could get a revival out of a good interactive communal map.

hi

I want to down load the birthright computer game does any one know a link to it or where I can get it from

Downloads
    Uploads
    i prefer the D20 version of birthright, but 2nd (black border) of D&D and may be 5th edition (seems very nice but i don't have time to mastering it)

Thread Information