Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orogs

If I remember that pic in the boxed set, I always thought that the antlers were part of the helmet. I seem to remember another pic might be from the Sword and Crown that showed orogs and they didn't have antlers, just a robust physique and tusks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's how I viewed it too - a helmet.
    Duane Eggert

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, i found the picture. Horns look like they're on the helmet to me.

http://users.lmi.net/~fizz/orog.jpg

-Fizz

Downloads
    Uploads

Orogs

At 07:35 PM 12/14/2005, Fizz wrote:

>OK, i found the picture. Horns look like they`re on the helmet to me.

I`m sure you`re right, but I like the idea of them having antlers (or
    at least horns) now, so I might just go with that....

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Orogs

In a message dated 12/14/05 4:47:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
    brnetboard@BIRTHRIGHT.NET writes:

<< Doyle wrote:
    <snip> Also, from what I could tell it had what looked to be a spangenhelm
    with maybe an arabian/asian flair and antlers. . . Where would an entirely
    subterranian race get stag antlers? The picture I remember from the past had them
    too. Underdark Stag? or is there a story behind this that someone would
    know? >>

Maybe that is the special helm worn by the elite top-of-the-world orog
    raiders, the ones who volunteer to leave their homes to patrol the Overworld? An
    orog fighter must quest to receive his antlers, much as a human knight wants to
    win his spurs.

Lee.

Downloads
    Uploads

Antlers as a sign of rank

If you were to take the antlers as a sign of rank....
    1) Run-of-the-mill orog - antlers cutdown to stub
    2) Basic warrior - antlers cutdown to a stub or slightly poking out.
    3) Senior warrior - one or two limbs of the antlers are allowed
    4) Junior "Nobility" - one or two limbs
    5) Medium "Nobility" - a small set of full antlers
    6) Top "Nobility" - full set of antlers

So the higher the rank, the more impressive the antlers. Otherwise, you are socially forced to trim them according to your station. The adornment with metal tips etc works in the same way.

I believe that medieval rules for crowns and coronets worked in a similar way (may be just for English heraldry). Your rank was indicated by the type of crown or coronet that is above your heraldic arms. And Scottish tartan colours (pre-clan tartans) and feathers in the cap are similarly restricted by your clan rank.

The point is that those of high rank don't need to get through tight spaces and have already proved that they are great warriors, so large antlers aren't an issue. They can cope with it.

Of course, you could just make them part of a cap :^)

Sorontar.
    Sorontar
    Information Communication ILLUMINATION!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some suggestions to the orog, to whomever is updating it to v.3.5

1. Since it has 3 HD it needs another feat. Give it Weapon Focus (battleaxe).
    2. Give it usefull skills. Orog cavalry (such as there is) will have Ride, but the rest will not. Only commanders need the Warcraft skill.
    3. Give it better darkvision (90 or even 120). Make orogs be blinded for 1 round by bright light, and dazzled thereafter.

B
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some suggestions to the orog, to whomever is updating it to v.3.5

1. Since it has 3 HD it needs another feat. Give it Weapon Focus (battleaxe).
    2. Give it usefull skills. Orog cavalry (such as there is) will have Ride, but the rest will not. Only commanders need the Warcraft skill.
    3. Give it better darkvision (90 or even 120). Make orogs be blinded for 1 round by bright light, and dazzled thereafter.
    Weapon Focus is good, but I'd leave the choice of weapon either open, or provide a variable list like: Battle Axe, Longspear, or Heavy Crossbow. I believe this is reflective of the 3 main unit types from the 2e warcards [Orog (heavy) Infantry, Pikemen, and Crossbowmen]. Someone please correct em if I'm wrong, it's been a long time since I've looked at them. Anyways, showing some diversity in weapon preference helps to exemplify the tactical nature of orogs: there's different tools (and fighters) for different jobs, best used in mixed groups - so a typical orog patrol might be a mix of 1st rank axemen, 2nd rank pikemen, and 3rd rank crossbowmen or archers.

If Orogs are to retain their racial bonus to Warcraft checks, then it makes sense to me that the typical orog warrior would have a few ranks in it. Perhaps what this signifies is that the orog race isn't so fixated on hereditary positions as humans are, but are more meritocratous in nature - i.e., it is skill, talent, and achievement that lead to promotion as officers and leaders, rather than one's luck of birth.

Several ranks of warcraft also signifies that every orog warrior is trained with a basic understanding of tactics and strategy, which reinforces their depiction as canny fighters who tend to think before they act.

Some other suggestions for basic Orog skills: Listen (essential underground, where LOS is often limited by twisting tunnels), Move Silently and Hide (key skills for ambushers), Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Profession (Miner), Profession (Soldier), and Wilderness Survival, plus Ride for cavalry troopers.

What IS the preferred weapon for orog cavalry, anyways? Do they use spears or lances for charge effect, or just standard melee weapons?

Bjorn, I like your ideas, especially concerning bright light effects. I agree, 120' darkvision coupled with continuous daylight impairment makes perfect sense.

Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    Following this line of thought - IMC I have done away with racial hit dice for humanoid races.

Orogs have (mostly) warrior levels instead, with the average orog soldier being a 3rd lvl warrior. From there I've made several variations to the orog - standard infantry with WF (battleaxe or longsword) and Power Attack, archers with PB Shot and WF (bow) etc. I've also made several orog veterans/NCO-equivalents with 4-7 levels of Warrior.

Works wonderfully.

B
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Thread Information