Old Birthright addon info I found in my email

Not sure how old this is or exactly where I got it from, but I have had it in my email as a draft for some time now. I posted similar info ages ago and its on the wiki somewhere. But thought I would post or re-post this in case it has not been seen by some people. Hope its useful to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbane
    This information is intended primarily for use in a birthright game, but could be useful for non-birthright players, as well... It is not quite complete.

Province Assets

Not all provinces are created equal. Some provinces are simply more valuable than others, due to the naturally occurring phenomena there, the provinces' relation to the planes of the multiverse, the abilities of the common folk, or the world-shaping events that have taken place there.. These phenomena are called province assets, and are described below.

Asset Types
    There are several types of assets:

Construction: These assets represent any of the various constructions that regents can build within a province, and are among the simplest assets to add to a province. The construction necessary to gain the asset is listed among the prerequisites. Examples of this type of asset include Access to Space and Bound Demon.
    Event: These assets rely on the occurrence of a particular event, usually one that has a huge impact on not only the province in which they occur, but on the entire world. Examples of this type of Asset include Divine Well and Magical Cataclysm.
    Magical: These assets are often a side effect of a Divine or Magical Cataclysm, or the result of the most powerful Realm Spells. Examples of this type of asset include Dead Magic Zones and Demiplane.
    Natural: These assets are probably the most difficult to engineer, and are usually either there, or not, with little or no opportunity for the realm regent to add or remove them. Natural assets are things that occur naturally. Examples of this type of asset include Active Volcano and Untamed Wilderness.
    Planar: These assets result from or are related to the interaction of the myriad planes of existence. Examples of this type of asset include Elemental Conduit and Strong Planar Boundaries.
    Population: These assets are a direct result of the population that lives in the province. Some provinces are known for their stalwart homesteaders, willing to tough out any sort of conditions, while others are renowned for their master craftsmen. Examples of this type of asset include Entrepreneurial Spirit and Master Craftsmen.

Access to Space [Construction]
    Prerequisite: Spaceport Construction, Adjacent to any Auran or Space terrain type
    Benefit: The Maximum Province Level is increased by 4.

Active Volcano [Natural]
    Prerequisite: Adjacent to any Terran terrain type.
    Benefit: Finally, the Maximum Source Level of the Province is increased by 2.

Adverse Terrain [Population]
    Prerequisite: Special. Each race has one or more terrains for which it is ideally suited. See the table.
    Benefit: The Maximum Province Level of the Province is decreased by 4.

Astral Site [Planar]
    Prerequisite: Province is on Astral Plane or has Weak Planar Boundaries.
    Benefit: Maximum Province Level is reduced by 3 and Maximum Source Level is increased by 4.

Bound Demon [Construction]
    Prerequisite: Binding Circle Construction
    Benefit: The Maximum Source Level of the Province is increased by 3.

Bridge [Construction]
    Prerequisite: Major River, Bridge Construction
    Benefit: Bridges allow commercial and military travel over major waterways.

Coastal [Natural]
    Prerequisite: Any non-Aquatic terrain type, Adjacent to any Aquatic terrain type.
    Benefit: Guild-holdings within the province may have seagoing trade routes. Regents in the province may build seaports. Finally, the Maximum Province Level increases by 3.

Compatible Habitation [Population]
    Prerequisite: Special. Each race has one or more terrains in which it can best take advantage of the natural features, presenting little or no disruption to the natural flow of Mebhaighl. See the table.
    Benefit: The Maximum Source Level is reduced by only one half of the current Province Level.

Corpus Deus [Event]
    Prerequisite: Death of deity within province.
    Benefit: The Maximum Province Level is increased by 2.

Dead Magic Zones [Magical]
    Prerequisite: ?
    Benefit: Finally, the Maximum Source Level of the Province is decreased by 4.

Death Curse [Event]
    Prerequisite: Death of powerful magical entity or deity within province.
    Benefit: The Maximum Level of the Province is reduced by 3 and the Maximum Source Level of the Province is reduced by 2.

Demiplane [Magical]

Devout Following [Population]
    Benefit: Temple holdings within the province generate an addition 1/3 GB per level during the income collection phase of each domain turn (this means that Temple Holdings generate a full 1 GB per level in income).

Divine Well [Event]
    Prerequisite: Death of a deity within the province.
    Benefit: Finally, the Maximum Source Level of the Province is increased by 5.

Dragon Bones [Event]
    Prerequisite: The death of a powerful magical entity within the province.

Elemental Conduit [Planar]
    Prerequisite: Special
    Benefit: Finally, the Maximum Source Level of the Province is increased by 3.

Entrepreneurial Spirit [Population]
    Prerequisite: Population comprised predominantly of Humans or Halflings.
    Benefit: Guild Holdings within the province generate an addition 1/3 GB per level during the income collection phase of each domain turn (this means that Guild Holdings generate a full 1 GB per level in income).

Ethereal Site [Planar]
    Prerequisite: Province is on Ethereal Plane or has Weak Planar Boundaries.
    Benefit: Maximum Province Level is reduced by 2 and Maximum Source Level is increased by 3.

Exceptionally Fertile Site [Natural]
    Benefit: The Maximum Province Level is increased by 3.

Favorable Terrain [Population]
    Prerequisite: Special. Each race has one or more terrains for which it is ideally suited. See the table.
    Benefit: The Maximum Province Level of the Province is increased by +2.

Faezress Infused [Natural]
    Prerequisite: Any Terran terrain type.
    Benefit: The entirety of the province is infused with the strange radiation known as Faezress. Teleportation spells cannot enter the province, and any teleportation spell that has a destination within a Faezress Infused province simply fails. Divination spells that have their destination, or whose target is within a Faezress Infused area have a 20% chance of failing. Finally, the Maximum Source Level of the Province is increase by 4.

Ferry [Construction]
    Prerequisite: Major River, Ferry Construction
    Benefit: Ferries allow travelers and troops to cross major waterways, but at a slower rate than they can cross bridges.

Fortification [Construction]
    Prerequisite: Fortification (province) Construction
    Benefit: ?

Gemstones [Natural]
    Prerequisite:
    Benefit:

Harmonious Habitation [Population]
    Prerequisite: Special. Each race has one or more terrains in which it can best take advantage of the natural features, presenting little or no disruption to the natural flow of Mebhaighl. See the table.
    Benefit: The Maximum Source Level is NOT reduced by the current Province Level.

Highway [Construction]
    Prerequisite: Highway Construction
    Benefit: Highways increase the speed of travel within the province.

Honest Living [Population]
    Prerequisite:
    Benefit: Law holdings within the province generate an addition 1/3 GB per level during the income collection phase of each domain turn (this means that Law Holdings generate 2/3 GB per level in income).

Ideal Terrain [Population]
    Benefit: The Maximum Province Level of the Province is increased by +4.

Inner Planar Site [Planar]
    Prerequisite: Site is on inner plane or has Weak Planar Boundaries
    Benefit: The Maximum Province Level is decreased by 1 and the Maximum Source Level is increased by 4.

Magical or Divine Cataclysm [Event]
    Prerequisite: Magical or Divine cataclysm within province.
    Benefit: Finally, the Maximum Source Level of the Province is decreased by 3.

Major River [Natural]
    Benefit: The Maximum Province Level is increased by 2.

Master Craftsmen [Population]
    Prerequisite: Population comprised predominantly of Dwarves or Gnomes.
    Benefit: Trade Routes starting or ending within the province generate an additional GB per season.

Military Cataclysm [Event]
    Prerequisite: Devastating military conflict in province.
    Benefit: Finally, the Maximum Source Level of the Province is decreased by 1.

Mines [Construction]
    Prerequisite: Gemstones or Precious Metals, Mine Construction
    Benefit: Trade routes beginning or ending in this province generate fifty percent more revenue each season.
    Special: You may have this asset more than once, each time it applies to a different natural asset that it has as a prerequisite.

Mobile Province [Construction]
    Prerequisite: Province Helm Construction; Asteroid, Cloud, or Construction terrain type.
    Benefit: The entire province, including all of its holdings and some (or all) of its natural assets, may move. The speed at or method by which the domain may move are determined by its means of locomotion, and are not covered here.

Natural Spring [Natural]
    Prerequisite: Non Aquatic Terrain Type.
    Benefit: Finally, the Maximum Source Level of the Province is increased by 1.

Outer Planar Site [Planar]
    Prerequisite: Site is on outer plane or has Weak Planar Boundaries
    Benefit: The Maximum Province Level is increased by 3 and the Maximum Source Level is increased by 4.

Palace [Construction]
    Prerequisite: Palace Construction
    Benefit: For each level a palace has, it adds 1 to the regent's effective court level, as long as he spends at least as many GB on his court.

Particularly Infertile Site [Natural]
    Prerequisite:
    Benefit: The Maximum Province Level is decreased by 2.

Portal [Construction]
    Prerequisite: Portal Construction
    Benefit: The province that the portal is destined for is considered adjacent (1 province away) for the purposes of traveling to that province (note that the return trip must be taken separately. A portal double the value of any trade route destined for the same target province as the portal, if they are maintained by a Guild of level four or greater.

Precious Metals [Natural]
    Prerequisite:
    Benefit:

Seaport [Construction]
    Prerequisite: Adjacent to any Aquatic terrain type, Seaport Construction.
    Benefit: The province can conduct trade by sea.

Shadow Site [Planar]
    Prerequisite: Province is on Shadow Plane or has Weak Planar Boundaries.
    Benefit: Maximum Province Level is reduced by 2 and Maximum Source Level is increased by 3.

Shipyard [Construction]
    Prerequisite: Seaport or Spaceport Construction, Shipyard Construction
    Benefit: Sea and/or Space going vessels can be built within the province.

Strong Planar Boundaries [Planar]
    Prerequisite: Maximum Source Level of ?

Undead [Population]
    Benefit: The Maximum Province Level is increased by 4 and the Maximum Source level of the Province is decreased by 2.

Underground River [Natural]
    Prerequisite: Any Terran terrain type.
    Benefit: Finally, the Maximum Source Level of the Province is increased by 1.

Unfavorable Terrain [Population]
    Benefit: The Maximum Province Level of the Province is decreased by 2.

Untamed Wilderness [Natural]
    Prerequisite: Province Level of 3 or less.
    Benefit: Finally, the Maximum Source Level of the Province is increased by 3.

Weak Planar Boundaries [Planar]
    Prerequisite: Maximum Source Level of 7 or higher.
    Benefit: Finally, the Maximum Source Level of the Province is increased by 4 and the Maximum Province level is increased by 5.

Wild Magic Zones [Magical]
    Benefit: Finally, the Maximum Source Level of the Province is Decreased by 1.

Holding Assets

Decentralized Holding [Location]
    Prerequisite: Holding Level 3 or less.
    Benefit: This holding has no province to call its home. Rather, it acts in whatever location its mobile construction (usually a sailing or spelljamming vessel, but sometimes another construction) is in, regardless of the other holding levels within that province, or the level of the province itself.

Fortification [Construction]
    Prerequisite: Fortification (holding) Construction

Uncovering Hidden Assets
    By using the Expedition domain action, it is possible to uncover an asset that was previously hidden within the domain. An expedition may discover a hidden volcano, learn of an ancient battle in which a powerful dragon was slain, uncover valuable gemstones, or even learn of the depths of faith of the population. Of course, even a successful expedition won't always yield positive results. Sometimes there is simply nothing special to be learned about a province, and sometimes the results can even be detrimental.

Creating New Assets
    If the province that you find yourself in charge of is not to your liking, there are ways to improve it. The easiest is to build constructions, using the Build domain action to create new Construction type province assets. Other types of assets can be created, as well, but often require more knowledge or effort on the part of the regent and his subjects.

Later
    silver
    "The Light Grows Dim, Darkness seeps in the cracks."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for that.

Had a memory jogged while reading it, some of these can give secondary impacts, for example a bridge over a major river makes it much easier for a ruler controlling both sides to put chains, etc across the river to block the passage of ships.

I've toyed in the past with having a layered map for Cerilia, one layer for the surface, one for the sub-surface (with provinces of L0-3 for goblins, orogs and karamhul), a third layer for the shadowworld (with provinces for undead, lost citizens, various dream spirits, trapped realms like the ravenloft inspired Vos realm, a few remaining halflings, and chaotic realms of fluctuating terrain) and a fourth layer for the spirit world (fae and a few others).

Put a few portals and tunnels in and all sorts of possibilities open up.

The idea of a layered map of the world sounds great. I always envisioned a lower realm area that the subterranean races fought over outside the sight of the surface races. An Underdark realm system would make for an interesting twist for a truly adventurous ruler, if they decided to try to expand that way.
    "The Light Grows Dim, Darkness seeps in the cracks."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a great way to organize the other worlds using a layered map.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Magian View Post
    Sounds like a great way to organize the other worlds using a layered map.
    I bet you could do this without any programming using google maps and just remove the map image each time you finish work to avoid copyright. Or keep the map private until done.
    Legacy of Kings: Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    I 'ceharted' on the layers and did it the easy way, so I had not just "Kal-Saitharak Cerilia" I had "Kal-Saitharak under-dark", "Kal Saitharak shadowworld", and, in theory, "Kal Saitharak spirit world" - the same map, just different realms 'interpreting it'.

Not every province had all 4 layers, I had Shadowworld mirrors for most provinces, spirit world mirrors for sidhe and karamhul realms, and a few others (Aerenwe for example), and underdark mirrors for the Karamhul, Goblin, Orog, etc provinces and a few others.

I then added a few quirks like "this province borders on A B and C" to deal with things like shadowworld provinces that mapped to ocean areas, or where the mirror of a Cerilian province was 'missing' in the Shadowworld and the mirrors of the provinces that surrounded it instead met with no apparent 'hole' as you would expect.

Most of the mirror provinces were fairly sparsely populated, the underdark ones were limited to population 2 unless they had a special feature (I let Karamhul go to 3 from recollection to reflect deliberate making of space, air-pumps, drainage and aqueduct building, etc), while a lot of Shadowworld and Spirit World provinces were empty.

The result was that i didn't have to draw a map, I could just fill out domain tables without worrying about where the borders went.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    The result was that i didn't have to draw a map, I could just fill out domain tables without worrying about where the borders went.
    Sweet - very appealing to me ... what did you do this on?
    Legacy of Kings: Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirviriam View Post
    Sweet - very appealing to me ... what did you do this on?
    I had an excel workbook from Ruins of Empire (Green Knight's game), each page of the spreadsheet was a realm, then there were 4-5 lines for each province.

For the shadow/spiritworld I just copied the page onto a new tab and adjusted the holding levels, terrain, etc as I saw fit. I wound up with a lot of pages but it worked.

For underdark provinces I added 'province name - deeps' as a new province at the bottom of the page.

Bjorn's spreadsheet is somewhat legendary though...

Thread Information