Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blood Abilities

Quote Originally Posted by arpig2 View Post
    The only "useless" power or ability is one possessed by the character of a useless player. If you can't see how to make use of a power then you should stick to online "role-playing".
    LOL. There's nothing wrong with online roleplaying. Given the complexity of the Birthright Campaign system, I've found that PBeMs are really the best way to play -- as tabletop games aren't usually too conducive to all of the Excel spreadsheets you have to use to track things.

That being said, everyone has their favorite blood abilities. I like ones like long life, character reading, bloodmark, enhanced sense (vorynn), and blood history -- which, from a game mechanics perspective, are probably less useful but which add an interesting flavor. There are others which are probably more "useful" -- like animal affinity with dolphins. But, I just don't like playing Birthright characters from the 1960s Flipper TV series.
    Last edited by Nicholas Harrison; 06-01-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's nothing wrong with online roleplaying. Given the complexity of the Birthright Campaign system, I've found that PBeMs are really the best way to play
    I meant the so-called role playing video games like WoW, not PBEM Birthright.
    Call me Bob.
    My website: NRGGames.org
    My game design blog: Bob's Worlds

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by arpig2 View Post
    I meant the so-called role playing video games like WoW, not PBEM Birthright.
    I would use "roll-playing" for many of those in honour of former players I knew whose descriptions of characters involved what dice they rolled.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know the type.
    I once tried running a game where the players didn't know what the +s of their magic items were, but it got to be a real headache for me to keep track of them all
    Call me Bob.
    My website: NRGGames.org
    My game design blog: Bob's Worlds

Blood abilities should be balanced or else will be like Marvel, and always depends on DM's setting...cant have Masela and live in Five Peaks...
    p.s. how can i destroy W.I.T.??

I think Masela needs the most work. Compared to the other bloodlines, hers has no abilities that really even compare to the others; I'm not sure why the only bloodline that comes from a good aligned power just seems so lackluster. I've added a few and tweaked hers so that the Count of Ilien in my game has something to look forward to besides talking to dolphins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltagrim Bane View Post
    p.s. how can i destroy W.I.T.??
    Destroy WIT? With great difficulty, it's a major haelynite temple in a haelynite nation with direct support from a major noble. I'd suggest the most likely method would be by encouraging a great captain event to cause it to schism to cut it down to a manageable size.

I'd suggest multiple intrigues to take advantage of difficulties, an alliance of lesser faiths to drain it of support and strength, and then support for various factions to "lead the church back to the true worship of Haelyn in its time of trial"

If you can prejudice the local nobles against the WIT with some matters of justice all the better - anything that causes the church to pick between good politics and good theology is a good tool as the church either offends the nobles or its internal cohesion whichever way it goes.

Other methods might involve encouraging it to launch a crusade that will rob it of supporters and lose it prestige if it fails (although could do the opposite if the crusade comes off).

Long term however, unless playing a rival faith, I'd attack one of the great churches like that from the inside, pick a pliable mid ranking person with charisma, become their friend and help them attain power in the church. If playing a rival non-haelynic faith it might be possible to do a similar insider attack based off the 'haelyn as head of the panetheon approach' but it would be very tough.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    Destroy WIT? With great difficulty
    What he said.

OIT, CJS, MOC and PSN working together could take it down. Maybe.

Added to the difficulty is that its ruler has a great bloodline and is swimming in regency. Really, an alliance of MOC and CJS is all you'd need, but you have to assume Avanil is backing WIT, and that's a lot of law support to overcome.
    I like PBEM's.

I was in a part of alliance(MOC) with CJS and we manage to hit hard W|T with contests till that arrogant Avan spoke...a nice idea from Andrew to come closer with some WIT's hierarchy members so to be easier an schism or provocate OIT and WIT (possible) reunion.
    Also a question: can MOC's priests married or other (relegion) priests?? when you start to follow God's way and becoming a priest or grandmaster or w/e you mustn't get marry or having other body pleasures
    Ty guys and have a nice day!

Downloads
    Uploads
    PS Talinie notes that the rulership is inherited, as a theocracy one presumes that all the regents were also priests, so I suspect that there is no firm rule against marriage in the Haelynite clergy.

The christian ban was brought in for inheritance reasons from recollection, bloodline inheritance would likely have overwhelmed any such issues in Cerilia after Deismaar.

I would note that I see no reason why a pantheonic approach cannot be taken to any temple, to me the "name" temple is merely the political power, any number of sub-churches likely form part of the main temple holding, some may focus on other gods, and many would follow a number of gods, each with their own role in ceremonies etc.

That approach works in realm terms (all you need is the money and power for the holding, the rest is at once irrelevant for mechanics and the real fun stuff role-play wise) and offers a handy reason for how holdings can change hands so easily for such little expense (you don't have to build a new church and attract followers, you just need to convince the clerics in the temple to listen to you not their former grouping and tithe their donations accordingly).

The approach also allows a much greater variety of matters of justice, great captain, etc events and in your case, more marriage opportunities, you could have some clergy celibate, and others not.

Thread Information