Downloads
    Uploads

(AD&D 2e) Losing bloodline points = lose blood abilities?

When you lose bloodline points, for example due to failing to respond to a random event, do you also lose blood abilites?

For example, I started with a Bloodline Strenght of 9, and no Blood Abilites. During the game, I reached Bloodline Strength 11, and I got a Minor Ability. Then, due to a failed event, I went back to 10. Do I lose my Minor Ability?

thanks in advance

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never had it happen, but my ruling would be Yes. You lose whatever ability you gained from the increase.
    I also track the abilities generated at start-up according to which level of Bloodline strength they apply to.
    Call me Bob.
    My website: NRGGames.org
    My game design blog: Bob's Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by TSR 3100 Birthright Campaign Setting p. 21
    If a character's bloodline drops to a lower category, he loses abilities.
    According to RAW, then, yes, your character is supposed to lose his abilities. If you don't have the play-by-play of which abilities were gained or improved at which regency levels, then the DM can probably choose for you...

Note that, RAW, an elf or somebody with a really long life span could, theoretically, keep gaining and losing bloodline score so as to customise their blood abilities (increase bloodline, check which ability was gained, reduce bloodline back if the ability was bad).

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep

Just like you gain them when your Bloodline increases, you will lose them when it decreases. Tough luck.

Yeah, I recall when this happened to me. Just gained a power, lost a bloodline point and I also lost my power. Now, it doesn't say that when you gain a point again that you have to gain the same exact power. I had a crappy one initially and then rolled even better the next time. As to how /that/ happens, I guess it is up to the GM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess you could always make it a chance-based issue exactly when you lose the blood ability. Perhaps using

Lost 1 pt = 50% chance of losing a blood ability
    Lost 2 pts = 75% chance
    Lost 3 pts = 90% chance
    Lost 4 pts = 100% chance

If I was a DM, I would not allow the BA gained to change if the points were recovered. I would rule that the body returns to what it has previously proven itself capable of doing. Think of it like Bruce Banner -> Hulk

Sorontar
    Sorontar
    Information Communication ILLUMINATION!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Elasticity could be used as well. -3 to -5 before the BA goes dormant until reawakened with gaining Bld. Str.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course, a sneaky DM could never tell the player that they have lost the ability until they tried to use it. My BR druid wasn't truely aware of its blood abilities (but had suspicions) until he became a regent. Up to then, he was a babyfaced young man (Long Life) who was a good judge of character (Detect Lie) and wasn't bothered by the weather or missing some meals (Resistance).

Sorontar
    Sorontar
    Information Communication ILLUMINATION!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a player going from 50 to 51 points, he rolled for a bloodline power, but he got nothing.

Then he lost bloodline strength, going from 51 to 49. When/if he reaches 51 again, should I have him roll again? Or should he not get any power?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would suggest you look at how well they are "following his bloodline", if they are acting in accordance with the tenets of the god whose blood they inherited, then yes, roll again - particularly for scions of Azrai.

If not, then it might depend on how they get the bloodline point - inheritance, bloodtheft, or conversion of regency into bloodline - and in the first two probably rule that the new power was linked to the origin.

Overall though, I'm a softy as a DM, so I'd look at how the group was balanced, how well they were playing, what fit the story, etc.

Thread Information