Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Holding Regency - Any Reason for Class Restriction?

Hi all

After a long time away from D&D, D&D 5e has bought me back and I am looking at running a Birthright game (as BR was always my favorite setting). This question isn't really 5e specific but given it is for a potential 5e game, I thought I would post it here.

In the BR 2e rules, certain classes get Regency from certain holdings. In considering those classes which didn't exist previously however, it occurred to me to wonder whether it is in fact necessary, particularly with how easy multi-classing is in D&D 5e?

Is there any reason why you can't let any class gain Regency from any holding? There is an effective limit to controlling too many holdings being the maintenance cost so at some point you need to do a cost benefit analysis on whether it is worth, say, a Fighter Regent, controlling Sources or Temples.

Sure those holdings bring in Regency, and Temples bring in cash, but the Fighter can't use them to cast Realm Spells (unless they have Ritual Casting? In which case, they are limited to spells of 1/2 their level - in BR terms, they have a caster level of 1/2 their character level) or have multi-classed into Wizard/Priest) but they add up in maintenance costs (EDIT: Also, they are still limited in how much Regency they can accumulate by bloodline strength).

Will it break anything if I let this occur?
    Last edited by zcthu3; 01-01-2015 at 12:02 AM.

Thread Information