Hybrid View

How often do your players level/get items?

How often do your players level/get items/relics?

The mechanism is there but to my knowledge it is VERY rare for players to level, get magical tiems from adventures,or even get relics that affect domain play.

It seems most campaigns neglect this aspect.

Thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, in my last campaign, I expiramented with allowing my PC's to roll totally heroic stats. (I did 5d6 drop 2) I didn't realize how unbalancing, and it was mostly my fault for not adjusting the CR's but the party could tear through and survive a lot. Regularly they would go toe-to-toe with almost equally matched npc's in huge slaughterfests and a couple of them would hit deaths door each session but the xp they raked in caused for a level gain about every session or two, and we would usually play 6 hours at a time. Most of their magic items they got from looting NPC's as that seemed to be over half of what they fought, since the NPC's were equipped using the rules for starting characters of above 1st level (I forget if it is in the PHB or the DMG) they got wealthy really quickly. (how many of yourself do you need to kill to go up a level, adventurers always have more gear than "monsters") I found out this really didn't work very well, mostly my fault for being off from D&D for a while then jumping into DM'ing again. I found that most of the really fun plot hooks, only lower level characters without powerful magic items want to do. Things like A "Serial Killer stalks Proudglaive" turn into "Let the constabulary deal with it" or "Use Divination spells problem solved" Generally from what I've found it really depends on how you pace the environment. It seems that in more pseudo-realistic settings or ones that carry high potential for mortality. (Like in RL battlefields are dangerous for everyone on them no matter how experienced they are) Lower levels and Lower amounts of magic maintain that flavor "easier" Where as High level and High magic seem to fit easier with more fantastic settings. The lack of willingness of clerics in birthright to raise the dead is an example of this. It is easier at lower levels to handle this because the issue of raising the dead doesn't even come up.

However, to stem the tide of this tangent I am getting on, With a setting like Birthright, a lot more pressure comes to land on the DM with higher levels and higher magic item access. Suddenly 3 units of knights invading a province doesn't pack the same punch vrs meteorswarm and traveling realms away only takes a moment and a spell slot. This gives a lot of work to the DM to keep the Birthright flavor and not penalize or handicap the players for doing what players are supposed to do: strive to become better, more powerful characters. DM's on here have come up with all sorts of ways and rules to try and balance this aspect.

Now to more answer your question: What I've been doing in my current campaign and how its been working: Magic items are about 4x harder to come by/costly, etc. On the other side of the coin, "stupid" magic items that are more one use or filler or "vendor trash" don't happen. All magic items are purposeful, I've named them, and secretly tailored them to be very useful to the players and hyped them. As with XP, I've been giving out about standard, but I've watched it really carefully. I'd say maybe it all averages out to -1CR to what the DMG says and the campaign is progressing at a comfortable pace. If anything the PC's complain the most about the XP but more than the amount I think it was the fact that I was keeping track of it for them and that probably made it seem like I wasn't giving out XP for things when I really was, once I quit doing that they seemed a lot happier with XP as well.

hope this helps
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Downloads
    Uploads
    BR is supposed to be a low magic item setting. That is magic items are supposed to be rarer, but more powerful when found.

Personnally I don't like artifacts in general. They have a way of overpowering things drastically and in a setting like BR where a simple +1 longsword is supposed to be a family heirloom it makes sense for them to be even rarer.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since my game is "Regent" based with no adventuring levelling up is down through training as a character action.

Manty

Downloads
    Uploads
    We have few large scale magical items in our adventure. My 12th level (AD&D2) druid has IIRC a +2 battle axe (enchanted by the Seelie Court), a +3 ring of protection (from an adventure's boss badgirl in SW), potion of inorganic-to-organic (from adv's boss badmage), +3 quarterstaff (from the badgirl again), a wand of illumination (not many charges left, can't remember where I got it), a wand of plant growth (a mage's lab in ancient ruins). Most of the magical items have come from the head-honchos in adventures, rather than their underlings, or we have been explicitly seeking them out using high level contacts (eg. seelie court, regents). My druid is getting some magical armour made for someone, but that is required a lot of inter-regent relations, especially between the church and a regent mage. And it won't be cheap at all and may have political consequences.

Some items we found in the SW did not work or crumbled when taken to Cerilia, e.g. lantern of darkness.

Sorontar
    Sorontar
    Information Communication ILLUMINATION!!

Thread Information