Downloads
    Uploads

(ADD&D 2e) Invulnerability

One of my players is a scion of Basaia, with a great bloodline, and he rolled Invulnerability as one of his powers.

Would he know what the "special" way of killing him is? Actually, would his character even know that he cannot die in a normal way?

Of course it's too late to keep it secret from the player, but it would cool to have the character "die" once, and then wake up like "what the hell just happened?"

Once his enemies realise that he cannot be killed by usual methods, how can they find out how to kill him?

And finally, can you suggest some special ways to die that would fit a scion of Basaia? I was thinking that his body should be encased in ice, and than must be shattered under a night sky without moon. Any other ideas?

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think he would know how he could be killed or that he couldn't be killed. Do all the players know that he has this power? Because if not then you have an opportunity to "kill" him in a future adventure and have him survive.

How would his enemies work out how to kill him? Well maybe have people jump out at him occasionally and toss different powders or mushrooms at him and then run off when he doesn't die. Or have them hire assassins to kill him in different ways through elaborate traps. Make him paranoid that his enemies are out to get him.

As for a good way to kill him? Well the most obvious would be that he can die normally in the shadow world, or on the day of the dead, or in any place where the shadow world leaks into Aebrynis. How to hint it... well maybe he gets wounded in a location like this and it won't heal until he leaves the shadowy area.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I assume that you've been using a custom table for blood powers, because you can't randomly gain Invulnerability without rolling on Blood Abilities II from Blood Enemies, which is only ever by GM choice.

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use the tables in the Book of Regency.

Does it really matter? O_o

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not really, no. I'd forgotten about the expanded tables in BoR.

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of my character's has the ability and did not know it until she died in a very spectacular way(fight with the Chimera). When she awakened, she had a "kill bill" moment where she clawed her way out of a grave. It caused quite a bit of excitement. Suffice it to say, she is now extremely uncomfortable in tight or underground spaces.

It should be unique, but not too easy.

Opposition of Light is Darkness. So, I like the idea that the character might be powerless if they find themselves in the Shadow World.

Heat and Cold. You pointed out ice and lack of moonlight. Perhaps they can only be killed on the night of a new moon on a specific day, month, or cycle of years.
    d'estre bons et leaulx amis et vrais ensemble et de servir l'un 'autre envers et contre tous

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd expect there to be clues of some sort, it isn't fair otherwise.

Raesene's idea of slowed healing sounds good, otherwise a feeling of vulnerability/chill might do.

Other examples might be during an eclipse, while incased with magical darkness, etc.

I'd suggest, btw, that as the bloodline increased the vulnerability might reduce to explain a fairly broad vulnerability now and limited vulnerabilities for the awnies.

Also, invulnerable could occur in several ways - what happens if the PC is eaten, does the consumer metamorphose into the pc over time? What happens during the hybrid period? Perhaps the PC is reborn in the body of an heir (land's choice or other), that could lead to interesting times as the former occupant of the body might still time-share, or have existing fueds/debts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I recommend you have a think about what death and non-death actually means to the characters. If they are invulnerable, can they be poisoned? Have limbs broken? Get scars? Be blinded or lose any other senses? Perhaps if they are reduced to -10 HP, they are comotose and have some permanent effect on their body that really limits their capabilities, perhaps losing ability points as a result. Disallow most spells from undoing the effect. This will encourage the player to avoid taking risks that ruin the game (but still allows for risks that other characters might not be willing to take).

I like the idea of blood abilities initially being a big unknown. My druid had "Long Life" but was young, so it just meant he had a youthful face for a 25 year old. The "Detect Lie" was not known as a blood ability but he was able to judge people well as a result, which aided him in diplomatic roles. I can't remember his third blood ability but I think it was "Resistance", so it was not known but it was observed how he seemed to survive in conditions while other party members suffered. By the time he became Regent of Spiderfell, he had a good idea of what his blood abilities but I did not assume that he had that knowledge at the start.

So I recommend the character doesn't know they are invulnerable until "killed". You don't indicate side-effects to the player until after that happens.

As to how the player can be killed outright, that needs to be kept secret from the player unless they spend a lot of time and money on researching it. After all, soothsayers and old hags can't reveal anything unless they are paid well (and enough of them say the same thing).

Sorontar
    Sorontar
    Information Communication ILLUMINATION!!

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I too prefer the route of the player not knowing what his abilities are. In fact, i've run some where the player didn't even know he was blooded. I have found these allow for some really fun scenarios- "wth just happened?", and enables you to do things to the characters that you might not be otherwise be able to do.

As for Invulnerability, how would anyone learn of the method to kill the character? I mean, you can't know for sure until you try it. But what to try? There is practically an infinite number of permutations of events that have to coincide.

-Fizz

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some awesome ideas regarding characters' lack of knowledge of blood abilities.
    However, blood abilities have a hereditary component as well, which is referenced in a couple places in the rule books, so it is possible, even probable, that some scions would be aware of at least some of their starting abilities.

As for the Invulnerability ability, it does not have to be all that obscure a condition, it can be quite simple along the lines of Highlander, or the stake through the heart of vampires. Things like the phase of the moon, or a specific body part a la Achilles, and so on.
    Or it could be more circumstantial, as in being struck by two blooded opponents simultaneously.
    Call me Bob.
    My website: NRGGames.org
    My game design blog: Bob's Worlds

Thread Information