Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Adventuring in a PBEM

How were adventures handled in any of the PBEM campaigns you have run or played in? What worked and what didn't? What were the problems you encountered? and so on.
    Call me Bob.
    My website: NRGGames.org
    My game design blog: Bob's Worlds

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rjurik Winds: Yahoo IM, and later an online tabletop. Worked remarkably well, I was frankly amazed, kudos to Charles Dupin de-St-Cyr the DM.

RoE: Bjorn did a mix, some on the forum in adventure threads which I found slowed play considerably, I started finding them as frustrating but once I got the hang of it warmed to it. He also did emails which worked well as long as you don't want a blow-by-blow battle.

Otherwise they've been email based in games, one game had them as a single action - you set out "your plan" in the domain order and got a descriptive para and outcome back. Quick but, to me, unsatisfying.

I've heard of, but have no experience of skype / google-chat games, with my internet connection issues perhaps for the best.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, I'm REALLY interested in that online tabletop you mentioned, could you elaborate a little, what it was like, how it worked and so on.

I hadn't thought of that in the context of adventuring, but I had considered something like that for fighting battles, using something like Team Viewer to fight them out.
    Call me Bob.

Special Guest (Donor) DarkApple's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Bob,

This is what I could find on the website of the game:

http://www.rjurikwinds.com/rules.php#groupAdventures

Not sure if Charles is still around to explain his stuff.

Alex

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've found e-mail to be a bit slow in the past.

I've used IRC (assuming that still exists) and that worked ok for a live adventure but it's hard with people across the world in different time zones.

A message board could work, although I've never tried that myself.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    charles bought an online tabletop - I could look him up on facebook if people are really interested.

Basically it had a map or other image on the left, a IM-style column on the right, and dice-rolling capability.

In practice moving people around the map slowed things down a lot as it tried to update, but when it was used just for images it was quite good.

I suspect though that something like google hangouts or another skype-based system would probably do a better job nowadays in terms of the communication, though I don't know if it can handle images - that said if you had it open and also your email the DM could mail images around the group as and when you reached an area.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks all, there is a pic of it on the site Dark Apple found (Thanks for that too).

I'm wondering how you think this idea might work. Basically use my Adventure action to resolve the adventure, but present each person on the adventure with a particular challenge that they have to resolve (via email/IM) and use the results of those challenges to generate further modifiers to the roll to resolve the overall adventure.
    Call me Bob.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by arpig2 View Post
    Thanks all, there is a pic of it on the site Dark Apple found (Thanks for that too).

I'm wondering how you think this idea might work. Basically use my Adventure action to resolve the adventure, but present each person on the adventure with a particular challenge that they have to resolve (via email/IM) and use the results of those challenges to generate further modifiers to the roll to resolve the overall adventure.
    It sounds good. We used to try to synchronise timings for players (which left out the Aussises sadly) for a group IM/online tabletop, but doing a series of 1 on 1's would do well - and avoid the "sorry, I missed that line" issue which can freeze people out.

The adventures were in one respect fairly simple - 4 or 5 scenes only due to time constraints.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Raesene Andu View Post
    I've found e-mail to be a bit slow in the past.

I've used IRC (assuming that still exists) and that worked ok for a live adventure but it's hard with people across the world in different time zones.

A message board could work, although I've never tried that myself.
    Apologies for side-tracking the thread - but it is good to see you back around!

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are very welcome Bob - I keep an eye on your work (this is Alex - Hokusei-do in Zaidan-Tai).

Thread Information