Downloads
    Uploads

(ADD&D 2e) Domain Actions: Training

I was considering house ruling the Training action as follows. Feedback is welcome!

Training (Character)
    Success: Special
    Base Cost: at least 1 GB per Domain Turn (3 Actions)

A character can spend an action honing his skills.

Add a Hit Point: A character can exercise and train to add 1 hp to his score. He cannot exceed the number he would reach with maximum rolls for his class, level, and Constitution bonus. This action required 3 Actions (1 full domain turn). At the end of this period, roll a Constitution check. If you succeed, you may increase your hit points by one.

Learn a Proficiency: A character can study with a mentor, and learn a weapon or non-weapon proficiency. This action requires 12 actions (4 full domain turns) for each slot.

NWP: At the end of this period, roll an Ability check related to the proficiency you’re trying to learn. If you succeed, you learn that proficiency.
    Some non-weapon proficiencies do not have a related Ability score (for example, blind-fighting). In this case, just roll an Intelligence check.

Example: Learning a language will require one year (1 slot), read and write will require one year for a Wizard (1 slot), but 2 years for a Warrior (2 slots).

WP: At the end of this period, roll a d20, minus the penalty you normally receive for not being proficient with a weapon. If the result is equal or higher than your THAC0, you learn that weapon.

Example: Garth is a level 5 fighter (THAC0 16), and tries to learn to use a glaive. He rolls a 16, modified by -2, for a total of 14. He has failed, and will need another year of study.

Self-improvement: A character can try to raise one of his Ability scores. This action requires 24 Actions (8 full domain turns). At the end of this period, roll 3d6. If the result is higher than your current score, that score increases by one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I often thought at 1 HP was a bit low, or that it should perhaps be 2hp for a thief, 3 hp for a cleric and 4 hp for a fighter (not to exceed the max possible for class and level).

In terms of periods, is it one month to do the action, with the benefit then following in due course, or does "1 year" mean that you need to spend 12 consecutive actions?

Given the relatively low utility of the power compared to other domain actions, and on the presumption it would be open to both regents and commoners, I'd consider reducing the time costs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    More than one hp per action seems pretty generous. I'm already allowing my players to roll twice and choose the best when they roll hit points, so I don't think I'd like to raise the amount of hp they get with this action.

In order to get the benefit, you indeed need to spend the mentioned amount of actions, but they don't need to be consecutive.

In past campaigns, I had a few players that were not really interested in ruling a domain, but they felt they didn't really have a lot to do while the other PCs where doing their domain actions.

So I'm "stretching" the training times to give them something to keep them occupied, and getting a sense they're "going" somewhere.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't recall much discussion of what non-ruler's can get up to during months when the rulers are playing ruler.

How about:

1. Simplified adventures - this has an issue of level advancement for non-rulers compared to rulers.

2. Gain of favours - they get someone who owes them a favour that can be called in to aid in an action or adventure, you might make a table or some such to say how useful the favour is, and whether it can be assigned to a person/group up-front or during play.

3. Gain wealth - issue, rulers have piles of cash - but a minor magic item could be fun.

4. Aid an action - perhaps they can assist a ruler (PC or otherwise) in an action providing an action bonus for the ruler based on the non-ruler PC's skill, the PC gets some benefit (wealth, favour, information, etc) in return.

5. If the PC is a scion, they could gain Regency in return for some act of heroism, showing leadership, etc giving the PC the ability to significantly aid a ruler in the future (by spending the PC's regency) or for the PC to someday set-up their own domain.

6. Gain a follower / henchman - issue: compared to a ruler no PC will ever have a significant following, but, a PC of any significant level and skill is likely to gain a following and there is some merit to being, say, the head of an order of mages, a reputation as a travelling holy person, knight, or captain of a mercenary group. Of course all these encourage rulers to seek to gain fealty from the PC but that gives them some access to the game of thrones that isn't directly via a PC ruler.

Any other ideas?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Similar to some of what Andrew has suggested, I have seen characters:

* Work - to afford to adventure again
    * Train - to actually spend the time to get the NWP once they go up a level
    * Gather information - to plan for the next mission, follow up leads or help the regent
    * Network - to help maintain and increase their public image or that of the regent

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Delazar View Post
    More than one hp per action seems pretty generous. I'm already allowing my players to roll twice and choose the best when they roll hit points, so I don't think I'd like to raise the amount of hp they get with this action.

In order to get the benefit, you indeed need to spend the mentioned amount of actions, but they don't need to be consecutive.

In past campaigns, I had a few players that were not really interested in ruling a domain, but they felt they didn't really have a lot to do while the other PCs where doing their domain actions.

So I'm "stretching" the training times to give them something to keep them occupied, and getting a sense they're "going" somewhere.
    I have found over the years that adjusting the rules to placate bad play is almost always a mistake. If the players are not interested in ruling a domain, they shouldn't be playing a birthright campaign.
    Call me Bob.
    My website: NRGGames.org
    My game design blog: Bob's Worlds

Thread Information