Birthright: Dragon Age (5th Edition?)

I had thoughts of using Aduria as a campaign, but realized that it had also been done before in PBeMs, and had decided instead to try and do some research on Dragon Age's theme and attempt to create a PBeM using the Dragon Age theme, but the 5th Edition rules. I do think it will be a very interesting setting and will work out well. I am curious if anyone has used Dragon Age for any of their Birthright games (either PBeM or tabletop) and any suggestions in using it.

So far, I only really see Humans, Dwarves, Elves and Half-Orcs (modified) as PC Races, with possible Dragonborn (intelligent Darkspawn?) and culturally-accepted Gnomes within the Dwarven lands. As for Halflings, I don't have any idea, and Tieflings would probably be from the Tevinter Imperium? Still not past my basics and what little bit I recall from playing Dragon Age: Origins years ago (about to replay it before Dragon Age: Inquisition comes out).

I'm done with the base theme of the nations, and am currently working on the actual races. I think all of them will be present in the game, though a few I have to work out.

In truth, I'm a bit worried about even trying to finish since the Facebook group I've created and have a few members on have seen my posts, but not responded to anything. I'm uncertain if I should finish it or go onto something else. To be honest, its been keeping me focused on something which is really hard to do these days, but if nobody is interested in it I'll just stop and figure something else out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My personal theory on developing a setting or milieu is that you should do whatever you find fun to work on, regardless if anybody is actually interested in playing it. To me it is my hobby, and is a reward in and of itself.

That's why I am working on the Aebrynis maps, at the moment. I am doubtful they will ever really be useful for anybody or anything, but they are fun to do, and when I lose interest in them I'll shelve them and move onto something else until such time as I find myself feeling like working on them again.
    Call me Bob.
    My website: NRGGames.org
    My game design blog: Bob's Worlds

Downloads
    Uploads
    Although, if anybody is actually interested in using them, I can add provinces, cities, realms, etc. to suit whatever you have in mind.
    Call me Bob.
    My website: NRGGames.org
    My game design blog: Bob's Worlds

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by arpig2 View Post
    My personal theory on developing a setting or milieu is that you should do whatever you find fun to work on, regardless if anybody is actually interested in playing it. To me it is my hobby, and is a reward in and of itself.
    I like customising rules, simply because it's interesting and challenging, but obviously, people getting to use them makes it all the better. I've been hacking away at a 3.5/Pathfinder/Kirthfinder conversion of WotC's pre-SAGA Revised Core Rulebook for Star Wars d20, not that any of my friends seem even slightly interested of late.

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Sorry, easily depressed and whenever nobody seems to be interested in me working on a big project I just break down and stop whatever I'm doing. Its been a therapeutic piece of work for me, despite ignoring just about everything else of interest to work on it.

But gotcha, Thelandrin, conversions take a lot of work and I haven't even gotten to the system yet... just all of the main theme stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Basically, do it for yourself because you find it interesting or what-have-you. If someone shows interest or you even get to game with it, all the better.

So, I am working on the races so far. Human, no problem. Elf (including Drow), no problem (only minor for the Drow, but that was explained well I think). Tiefling will be no problem, although I would not recommend playing a Tiefling as they will tend to be targeted by about 60% of the world. Dragonborn are a race that I did have a hard time coming up with and think I did well. Half-Orcs are now Qunari (with the cosmetic option of horns or no horns), though I will be working on a feat to make the horns as possible weapons. Half-Elves will be no problem. My problems are Halflings and Gnomes, as well as one Dragon Age specific Dwarven region: Kal-Sharok.

Rock Gnomes /may/ be explained as being alongside the Dwarves, but Kal-Sharok is specifically looking like it might be Svirfneblin populated or, against my belief of using the race, Duergar. Forest Gnomes, I don't have any idea what to do with them.

As for the Halflings, I am entirely clueless. Since they are in the PHB, I don't feel up to saying no unless there is absolutely no choice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Setting trumps rules, in my opinion. It's pretty much the first rule of the setting, I think.

Someone made a great comment about Halflings being the children of Dwarves and Humans (since the two /can/ mate in Dragon Age).

As to the Kal-Sharok Dwarves, the only comment was that I should use Duergar. I'm a bit worried about using them, since they are a bit powerful.

Thread Information