Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sidhelien

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I first read the Birthright game book I was glad to see the Sidhelien as an angry lot who keep themselves apart from other races.
    I disliked the idea of Grey, wood, sylvan, high, etc... wanting to live in human cities and swear fealty to humans.
    I felt the Sidhelien were a very proud race steeped in history and tradition (they are after all, immortal).

Unfortunately I do not own the PSB for Tuarhievel, do they give much in the way of sidhelien society and customs?

I would hope that Sidhelien wizards have created some healing type spells as there are no priests in their society.
    Sidhelien must also have excellent herbalists. Excellent craftsman for that matter!!
    "Chaos is beautiful"
    Arioch

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, looking at the book now. If I remember the PS of Tuarhievel was widly regarded as a pretty poor effort by most people when it first came out. I haven't really looked at it since I bought it.

According to the PS Fhileraene has given himself up to the Gorgon (??) and has invested a human with his bloodline and that the Goron's ex Tara the black princess is now aiding the elves.

There is some good information, including a lot on history, some culture etc and an explaination of the province of Sideath which is claimed by the Gorgon, but controlled by an elven lich who opened a portal to the SW and killed every creature living within the province during the last war against the Gorgon.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lord Arioch,in what game world have you seen where elves bow down to the whims of humans???In every published world I have ever seen some elves are friendly with some humans,while others distrust all humans.I have yet to see a society of elves that want to be ruled by humans.

All that aside,I take it then that you like the fact that elves became just as bloodthirsty and savage as elves always claim humans to be then aye???
    "Victory has a thousand fathers,defeat is an orphan."

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Sidhelien topic is a hot one. I've had arguments with one of the members of this website (friendly arguement mind you;)).
    Yes, Dragonlance has the Elves living apart. Yes, most elvish realms on Greyhawk are the same. There are realms on greyhawk where the elves are ruled over by human realms. Call it alliances, agreements, whatever, they seem to have to answer to human rulers. Perhaps I should read the books more in detail then, eh.
    As for bloodthirsty. Its a matter of point of view. I see the Sidhelien outlook similar to that of the aboriginals throughout the world. In order to survive they had to be ruthless. There are stories of the Inuit. When one amongst them would hunt and would consistantly come home with nothing they thought he was bad luck and have him leave the community. This being in the arctic, a desolate climate to be alone.
    The battles between the Cree and the Blackfoot. It wasn't because they were bloodthirsty, it was a matter of keeping your enemies out of your hunting territory so you would have the resources to feed your own people.
    The Sidhelien lands have constantly dwindled. Their resources and population have dropped in the face of human expansion. Are they going to hold a resentment? Absolutely. Aboriginals in Canada still have a certain level of resentment.
    Of course the issues are more complex than that and I hate to turn this into a political debate.
    I do want to know if the information out there for the Sidhelien covers healing practices (with no clerics they need some form of healing), their homes (which I see as magically build into the sides of trees) and the use of animals (which I see as them using dogs for tracking and war, wildlife for scouting, magic to assist them in moving through the forest).
    All are important aspects of Sidhelien life.
    "Chaos is beautiful"
    Arioch

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do not take offense to your words Arioch.But I do beleive you are overly simplifying elven-human relations.

As to the sidhelein.....There is a fine line between being tenacious and being ruthless.To kill a logger as he cuts down a great old oak is one thing,to find his home and murder his wife and child is another.Now humans did the same thing mind you.The point is to kill a soldier whenever he is found,and to kill him every time he shows up is fighting a war.To kill his family is murder.

One must be wary of trying to justify acts.Slavery was practiced by nearly all ancient cultures,but was the brutality the Romans showed their slaves any more evil than the rather gentle life of a Norse thrall??No,slavery is evil.Remember,genocide of the Nations here in America was not frowned upon.120 years ago,under Queen Victoria ,the British would regurlarly oppress members of her colonies,and was considered an act of civilization.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did admit that I oversimplified things (last line, second last paragraph).
    I heard a saying, "One views the world through their language". I believe that to be true. I also believe that one also views the world through their culture as well. Our Western culture values life and freedom, other cultures do not. If you were a part of a culture that existed for thousands of years with various traditions and values would you be able to make the same Western judgments you are making now? Once again its a matter of perspective.

Swordwraith, do you have the player's guide to Tuarhievel?
    "Chaos is beautiful"
    Arioch

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes I beleive I do.....Haven't looked at it in a while though....

You do make a very valid point about perspectives.What one culture sees as acceptable would be abhorent to another.But here is a really philosophical question,does it make it moral?The traditions in Japan said that you must be absolutely loyal to your superiors,even to KILL yourself on their whim.Yet Musashi,considered by many to be the greatest samurai who has ever lived,was by Japanese traditions an outlaw.Most of the samurai the Japanese look to as paragons of Bushido,were in fact outcasts and defied those above them who abuse the power they wield.

Just thought that was interesting when I read about that.....:)

Downloads
    Uploads
    So Heros' were made out of those that stepped outside the box eh...interesting.

Japan eh, you don't happen to play Sengoku?
    "Chaos is beautiful"
    Arioch

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never even heard of it.What is it,other than a game about feudal Japan??

For the most part I know little about Eastern cultures,due to lack of interest.But it is interesting that no matter what culture you come from,some of the same principals bleed through.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's exactly what sengoku is. Set in the sengoku jidai period (1600's). I love the history aspect.

http://Sengoku.com
    "Chaos is beautiful"
    Arioch

Thread Information