Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Thanks to my father for supporting my interest in Dungeons and Dragons, I was able to purchase the PHB. I'm currently reading over it and find it interesting that each one of the Gods are able to have Paladins. I've always thought that it should be possible, but since the old age versions they had to be LG (except in one edition where they could be LG/LE/CG/CE).

Also, love the Wild Magic Sorcerers because I could easily see it as something from the Shadow World (whether its Fey or not), something from the blood of the Gods running through them (especially if its Azrai), or even some hereditary bit of 'radiation' from the event at Mt. Deismarr (the explosion).

Bards would also be cool to play, considering that there is already listed two Bardic Colleges (which would be interesting to see two separate stories for events).

I also love how they did Barbarians with the Unarmored Defense.

I do realize that some of the races won't be playable (or will be highly restricted) such as the Dragonborn and Drow for many of the games, but I will also wait until there are more races listed.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The druid class is sacred to Erik, pretty much exclusively, though I suppose you could make a case for Kriesha as well.

I suppose that Kartathok would be War and Trickery and Moradin maybe War and Life.

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelandrin View Post
    The druid class is sacred to Erik, pretty much exclusively, though I suppose you could make a case for Kriesha as well.
    I suppose that Kartathok would be War and Trickery and Moradin maybe War and Life.
    Druids will always be a problem with any conversion because of how 2nd Ed handled priests via specialty priests. In 2nd ed Birthright, there were no clerics, but everyone was a specialty priest. A priest of Haelyn felt very different from a priest of Eloele, etc.

Now however, we have the problem that the priest of any faith must be a cleric, except for Erik whose priests are druids. So the priest of every faith is nigh-identical (save for a few tweaks), whereas the priests of Erik are vastly different. It gives almost a special status to the faith that i've always felt was out of balance (ironic isn't it?) somehow.

-Fizz

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would probably consider the Druid like something very different from a Cleric in Birthright.

A cleric gets his power from a god (like Erik) while a druid takes his power from Nature itself, from the world, from the mebhaighl. Probably a druid respects Erik's faith, in the same way as he respects Nesirie, goddess of the seas, but does not "venerate" him.

In that sense, I'd even let elves be druids. And I would have Druids use Sources instead of Temples.

Downloads
    Uploads
    New Subrace: Cerilian Dwarf

Dense Body. You have resistance against bludgeoning damage.
    Non-magical. You have advantage on saving throws agains spells, but you cannot choose choose following classes / archetypes:
    Fighter (Eldritch Knight), Rogue (Arcane Trickster), Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard.

PS: didn't give an additional ability increase, since the two above traits seem powerful enough.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is what I was thinking for the humans of Cerilia:

ANUIREAN
    Bonus Ability: +1 to Wisdom and one other of your choice
    Bonus Skill (choose one): Deception, History, Insight, Persuasion
    Bonus Feat (choose one): Inspiring Leader, Mounted Combatant, War Caster

BRECHT
    Bonus Ability: +1 to Dexterity and one other of your choice
    Bonus Skill (choose one): Acrobatics, Athletics, one type of artisan tools, navigator's tools
    Bonus Feat (choose one): Defensive Duellist, Dual Wielder, Linguist

KHINASI
    Bonus Ability: +1 to Intelligence and one other of your choice
    Bonus Skill (choose one): Animal Handling, Arcana, Insight, Persuasion
    Bonus Feat (choose one): Elemental Adept, Keen Mind, War Caster

RJURIK
    Bonus Ability: +1 to Constitution and one other of your choice
    Bonus Skill (choose one): Nature, Perception, Stealth, Survival
    Bonus Feat (choose one): Alert, Observant, Resilient

VOS
    Bonus Ability: +1 to Strength and one other of your choice
    Bonus Skill (choose one): Animal Handling, Intimidation, Perception, Survival
    Bonus Feat (choose one): Durable, Mage Slayer, Savage Attacker
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 08-30-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Improved formatting

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelandrin View Post
    This is what I was thinking for the humans of Cerilia:

In addition to the listed ability boost, you may choose one other ability to gain a +1 boost, as well proficiency in one of the listed skills and one of the listed feats.
    I suppose you mean the "optional" traits for humans, where they get +1 to two abilities?

Or would you add this to the +1 to ALL ability scores?

EDIT: the improved formatting clarified it for me...

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Delazar View Post
    A cleric gets his power from a god (like Erik) while a druid takes his power from Nature itself, from the world, from the mebhaighl. Probably a druid respects Erik's faith, in the same way as he respects Nesirie, goddess of the seas, but does not "venerate" him. In that sense, I'd even let elves be druids. And I would have Druids use Sources instead of Temples.
    Well, in 2nd Ed it was quite clear that druids were the sole priests of Erik, implying that druid abilities were only available through him. That is- druid powers did not come from mebhaighl. Officially.

That said, we have more flexibility in the conversion. And what you say does have some logic to it. But can you envision a cleric of Erik? Hmmmm. It may depend on how flexible 5E clerics are, (which i've not read yet).

-Fizz

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless you are going to separate mages from mebhaighl, linking druids to it instead of a god may be confusing - although one could argue that such an approach would both strengthen the churches of Erik (drawing strength from both populous and unpopulated lands) allowing more sub-division of the faith of Erik, and perhaps something similar in Vosgaard.

Re: Karamhul and Halflings not being mages, that was a 2e limitation which makes no sense in BR - both races are more magical than humans, allowing them to be mages would possibly marginally reduce cross-race holdings since wizards could no longer petition the karamhul to draw power from Karamhul lands, but equally it could do the opposite - the Karamhul could use sources like their guilds to extend their reach beyond their borders.

Hmm, after 4e I'm a bit reluctant to buy another D&D set, but it sounds like an improvement from everything that people are saying.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    Re: Karamhul and Halflings not being mages, that was a 2e limitation which makes no sense in BR - both races are more magical than humans,
    That depends on what you mean by "making sense". Iirc, in the original Birthright book, dwarves are described as being completely non-magical, so it's not just a 2nd Ed thing, but the very nature of dwarves in the setting.

So i'd say a dwarf can be a wizard only if they are blooded. Now could a dwarf be a magician? Ergh... based on the description of "entirely non-magical", i'd want to be a purist and say no.

As for halflings, they may come from the Shadow World and have powers related to that, but does that make them "magical" enough to be able to case True Magic without being blooded? I'm not sure. But they could be a magician without issue.

One of the things i like about Birthright is that magic is not normal, so hefty requirements for magic are a must.

Hmm, after 4e I'm a bit reluctant to buy another D&D set, but it sounds like an improvement from everything that people are saying.
    Yes, what they did in 4E has been largely undone. I like to describe it as half-way between 2nd ed and 3E. There may be a few 4E things remaining (warlock), but i think those are easily ignored if desired.

-Fizz

Thread Information