Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

(PC) Gorgon's Alliance modding

Well, as people can tell from my posts I am currently trying to expand on the Gorgon's Alliance game. I have other projects and making a living keep me from mashing out day in and out a complete mod of the game, I am still working hard. The point of this this thread is to post progress and to recruit help.

To start here are some tricks I have learned using different methods.

1. Using the chareditor you can change the following leaders to elves or dwarves (only ones I've tested); Ilien, Chimeron, Taeghas, Brosenga, Endier, Coeranys, Ghoere, Mur-Kilad, The Five Peaks, and Cariel. Others work with reloading, but those are the most frequent factions that work for me.

2. In the scened95 editor you can do infinite skel recruitment if you have your faction leader equipped with the chalice of the dead + the 1 free action relic (damn I know, I need to get on the other comp to identify it).

3. If you use my Rhoubhe game, taking on the Gorgon is fun until it crashes. So don't if you are trying to conquer the map. Otherwise using it is like a 80's movie fight, make sure to turn up the fx volume to hear the battle.

4. A very simple way to just use scened to make a non-faction a faction is to select a faction that is where the non-faction leader is from (i.e. the wizard/ eyeless one in the fivepeaks). Using the chareditor change the leader the mercenary character (sprite, stats) to the new faction leader (the wizard into the eyeless. Replace the merc (the same way) and add them as a lieutenant that you want in scened. If you only edit one faction leader with charedit, the new sprite usually works. Rename current faction to the faction you want. You can't add more factions unfortunately, the game is at the max from what I can tell.

5. Text Editing - So much.... Argh... Ok! If you are going to do this then you need to know, it is a pain. Pure text editing gives you very little with the files, but you can change aspects of the game. You can change character names, faction names, and other things that you can do just in scened (better with hex). So if you can not use scened, then I guess you will have to do this. Forget what looks like code in a .sav file, it's just rubbish. Look for names and through loading up the game and seeing your leaders, you can get to where you need. Usually try using sav file first, after loading.

You will find something like (without scrolling)
    Kalilah bint Daouta ¨ń ī ˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙ ÷ 2 9 Y Ü ß ņ F

Now that is all crap, which is why you should use a hex editor. If Kalilah is one of your heros then you know you struck gold. ˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙ is always after a character name, not important. So let's just nip this in the bud and say better use a hex editor "m-kay". Too much detail and code otherwise. Just find a hex editor that is somewhat friendly with older versions of doom, wolfenstein or anything dealing with the files you are editing. Just use google.

A good place to start for modding is: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=32766

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...orum=vcgeneral

I recommend using: UFX, GIMP, & DOOM editors. Photoshop for editing placecards and models. As is, I think I might move my BR project over to RTW/M2TW, there are more programs and modders that can help. Any funny actions or placement of anything in the game, pm the .sav file and that may help me to make future breakthroughs. If you are truly interested in modding GA and need help, also pm me.

Now if you know how to hex and are aquanted with the game files, feel free to post your findings. I wish to expand on a great game!
    Last edited by Morgul; 03-30-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Deleted Gorgon

I have gotten rid of the Gorgon in a campaign I am working on, it is very glitchy. I need to get rid of all the Gorgon quests to have a full mod. PM if you are interested in alpha testing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My key issue with the game was the error on skeleton warcard, skeletons should have been inferior to pretty much any other troops (the 2e skeleton was a 1d8 hp thaco 20 ac 10 wimp) and the BR version was simply broken - particularly given the free unit upkeep!

But, off-topic rant aside, it's good to hear of the work and I hope that members enjoy the download, thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    They didn't have range defense and melee defense, just defense, so to give skeletons resistance to arrows they make them invincible in tactical combat, in auto combat they aren't so strong.

Also you couldn't hire gnoll and spider even if you are The Spider.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a pity that Sierra never did the other 2 games in the series, I'd have loved to see what they could make of it - they had the basics down in the game it just needed more.

Oh well, wishful thinking I know, the market wasn't there. It would be nice if they'd put it up on gog.com though.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    My key issue with the game was the error on skeleton warcard, skeletons should have been inferior to pretty much any other troops (the 2e skeleton was a 1d8 hp thaco 20 ac 10 wimp) and the BR version was simply broken - particularly given the free unit upkeep!
    Or to mention the infinite skeleton recruitment glitch. I love using them as cannon fodder when cheating, line after line, yummy. You're welcome too, thanks for keeping up the site for fans and having stuff for GA.

GOG won't get GA for so many reasons... Sierra On-Line is defunct by Activision, the parent company of the company that took over Sierra. The developers Synergistic Software are now My Pattern Designer and have nothing to do with that side of their business anymore. Not to mention it has been 17 years and things are still tied-up.

Sierra didn't do well with D&D and mishandled their contracts with LucasFilms too. Long story short, the game is on it's own (Sierra sold in 08). Which is why I have to trudge through code. The game will not change it's original platform, so it is only going to get harder to even play on newer comps.

Downloads
    Uploads

Chared working for all characters

Morgul,

Long ago I seem to remember chared.exe allowing you to edit all the characters in the game. The one I have currently only lets me edit the original "playable" realm scions. Do you know how to enable editing any characters (even the recruitable LT's?)

Thanks

Dotman

Mount and Blade Warband

I bet a really cool BR mod could be made for mount and blade warband.

Another glitch... if you rule holdings, and use up just under all your RP but have a few holdings left that can be ruled up. You can start the process, and then before it finishes add all the other rolls, and once the cost passes your total RP, it will do all the rule ups, but cost you nothing. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by jddotman View Post
    Morgul,

Long ago I seem to remember chared.exe allowing you to edit all the characters in the game. The one I have currently only lets me edit the original "playable" realm scions. Do you know how to enable editing any characters (even the recruitable LT's?)

Thanks

Dotman
    Hmm.. I have every version of GA and have never seen the Mieres characters ever be usable. Sierra put out an unfinished product, same as the Giantdowns glitch I have tried over and over to expand. As far as the recruits you can edit anything but how they look even with charedit. Use scened95 to recruit them or you might not get them in your campaign (outside of non-landed).

Quote Originally Posted by jumin View Post
    I bet a really cool BR mod could be made for mount and blade warband.
    I'll check those out. BUTTT! Go out and mod or help get a mod going. I've been trying to do this on my own and progress sucks, most people now of days have no clue about GA in the modding community. Still, if the game is easier than Wc3 (uber easy), then send me a link to the game. As is my Wc3 games will only be for this site and free. Expect a basic game within the next two weeks. It will be set in the Giantdowns, not sure about the exact timeline, but probably around 1400 HC.

Let me know what timelines you guys want, I have the next month off. Dammit forgot my old login again, this is Morgul btw.
    Last edited by MorgulLord; 06-30-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Thread Information