Downloads
    Uploads

Anuirean last names

High guys it's been like forever since i posted something here but i need your help. I am running new campaign based in Anuire, and i'm doing extesive lists of NPC's i ran out of ideas for last names. The campaign is ongoing and my players love to torment me with questins about full names of NPC's, names of their spouses etc. I used all cannon names and consulted the list of names here on site. Usualy i prefer to keep the names of the provinces for the last names of the count's, usualy but not always. It is much more easy with the Rjuric names or Vos names, because you can use the system of patronims.
    Thanx in advance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For peasants I wouldn't expect surnames aside from Nicknames (Aidan the Smith, Boerric the Strong), Job titles gone hereditary (Loeren Potter, Riegon Cordwainer), the rest I'd expect to be clan names in Scots/Welsh type areas, and patronyms elsewhere.

The only people who I'd expect to have "proper surnames" would be the various ranks of the nobility.

I'd expect that British or French surnames would be fine, so if you click around http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nobility or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...noble_families for example you should get lots of names popping out.

I generally see Mhoried as Scots with Boeruine, Talinie as Scots or Welsh, the south-east as (for no reason I suspect) I see as somewhat French, Diemed as traditional English, and the Heartlands as varying degrees of Mongrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    thanx mate, the game is based in Roesone and most of the nobility is covered with cannon. But there is more NPCs then just counts and highest nobility. But there is practicly no cannon for neighbouring Aerenwe, and given their insular nature, i had no idea wich western european culture to use as role model.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I see Avanil and Diemed is more like Brittany and the Low Countries. Still, you can't go wrong with French names.

I agree with Andrew about "job" based names and place names. Example: Jean Sellier (John Saddler), Chapman, Hawker, Hurd or Hird, Faulkner, Bowyer, Wright are all last names based on the jobs that they might have done.

See: http://www.localhistories.org/surnames.html

There's also "Place names" like Jehan of Bellam.

I believe, according to canon, Roesone was founded by people from Diemed. So, if you go by Either the Traditional English or Burgundian Low Countries, you should be alright.
    d'estre bons et leaulx amis et vrais ensemble et de servir l'un 'autre envers et contre tous

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The problem with using the Low Countries as a model is that the Brecht use the German and Dutch names, whereas Anuireans tend to have a mishmash of British, slightly French and "generic-fantasy-Western" names.

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Downloads
    Uploads
    given Aerenwe's position, actually you could easily justify Khinasi or Adurian names too - sailors get around even in Medieval times and sometimes they settle far from home.

If using a family name, it's possible for the ethnic genotype to be swamped by the local genotype while the name remains exotic so you don't have to worry too much about describing them as looking local.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i read up on scotish, english and welsh names. Bacause my masters on university was about medieval Scotland i'm familiar with most of them. I generaly try to avoid Bible names, although they are quite deeply rooted even in fantasy (John Snow for example). But Welsh names sound to me like the names best used for Sidhe. Some old gaelic names i could use for humans, but some like Cú Chulainn also scream Sidhe. Anyway thanx for advice about Brittany names they should fit perfectly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another good resource is http://s-gabriel.org/names/ - the Academy of St Gabriel.
    Last edited by Sorontar; 09-13-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Thread Information