Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the BR setting for a lot of reasons, many Andrew pointed out. I liked the “completeness of the setting”. It had personalities, domains, holidays, etc. That made it easy to drop players into the setting without having to do a lot of “World Building”. It had a real feel to it, with just enough magic to restore a sense of wonder in regard to magic wielders and magical events as well as breathing some new life into clichéd old monsters.

The political dynamics made it interesting to see how ruling players would interact and how their actions would filter down to non-regent PCs. The laws of unintended consequences.

Mixed levels of play: macro events to micro-events.

The opportunity to advance years within the world when the DM has no adventure or ideas, but may have a story arc that is a few years in the “future”, or slow it to a crawl. While many campaigns I’ve read about have pushed dynasties through several generations. I’ve only advanced the game three decades. There’s been plenty of action and domain building going on in that time. “By setting out the domains, they become more visible in-game and by extension the history becomes more visible giving the game depth fairly easily.” AT

The war-gamming aspect has always been key. The one thing I’ve found that I don’t like is the tendency for some players to think on Birthright like a game of RISK. One has to strike a balance between story and conquest.

I like the idea of bloodlines. Like the Ersheg and the Awnsheg. The medieval idea that a person’s outward physical manifestations reflects that of inner good or evil is appealing.
    The only drawback to the bloodlines, if only blooded people can rule, is continents like Djapar, where no regents seem to be blooded and that any blooded people are viewed as aberrations or heretics for believing the old gods dead. (makes for interesting politics.)

The game world lends itself very easily to the more mature gamer. Dungeon crawls can be fun, but now that gamer demands reasons for events that transpire.

The Shadow World. A dark reflection of the daylight world. It’s allowed for some interesting story lines to be introduced. PC agents working to strengthen the barrier between the worlds while dark agents try to weaken the veil.

I’ve not been a fan of halflings since the early days of AD&D, specifically the fact that they were all fat hairy thieves or “Kender”. However, the way they are presented in Birthright has actually had me allowed me to let go of my bias and introduce some halfling heroes and villains.
    d'estre bons et leaulx amis et vrais ensemble et de servir l'un 'autre envers et contre tous

Both the "technical" aspects of the setting it's self and it's "feel" are vastly appealing to both old and new players of AD&D in it's various incarnations.
    Personally I am a self-confessed "Power Gamer" at times (thankfully it's only a phase I go through every now and again...) and the concept of having the power of a God running through my veins without it unbalancing the game it truly exciting. Aside from this (benign) reason, the tales and stories that have emerged from the Birthright setting truly enchant and amuse. I mean who could forget Mother?

Thread Information