Hybrid View

Veteran status for units.

Veteran (+): The unit has advanced training or extensive combat experience. Unit modifier: +4 melee, +4 missile (if any), +1 hit, +2 move, +4 morale, +2 GB muster cost.

For example a infantry unit has +4 melee.Does that mean it gets +8 melee in total if upgradedot veteran status?

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, you wouldn't see an increase to +8, since the listings for the Veteran bonuses aren't incremental, they are bonuses from the base troop type.

If you wanted to know just how much of an increase Veteran gives over Standard, you need to subtract the Standard stats from it, so you would get +2 Melee, +2 Missile (if any), +1 Hit, +1 Move, +2 Morale and +1GB muster cost.

This is because when the tables were initially made, the Green ratings were made the baseline for calculations, not Standard.
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    What are the stats for elite units?
    It says in chapter 6 that elite units can take 2 special trainings, but elite is not defined in terms of bonuses, only green, standard and veteran are listed

Downloads
    Uploads
    What are the stats for elite units?
    It says in chapter 6 that elite units can take 2 special trainings, but elite is not defined in terms of bonuses, only green, standard and veteran are listed
    That should read "veteran units may take up to 2 special training options." In the BRCS, "elite" units is a loose term talking about veteran and better units. Anuirean Elite Infantry, for example, are just veteran heavy infantry (4 GB). Anuiean Knights are also considered elite, and they're veteran heavy cavalry (6 GB).

In the original war cards from 2e, there were better units of knights, which might convert to Knights of Haelyn (knights, tough) and Knights of Cuiraecen (knights, +melee). An elite version of those might be (knights, tough, +melee or +defense) for 8 GB muster. Not cheap...

In Bjorn's (Green Knight) PbeM there are elite, crack, and guard levels of unit experience above veteran.

In my campaign, I have elite (+6 attack, +3 hits, +6 morale, +2 move over green unit stats - +4 GB muster value) and crack (+8 attack/morale, +2 defense, +4 hits, +2 move over green; +8 GB muster value) troops...but this is in a very advanced version of Anuire (epic PCs).

For most games, Green, Regular, and Veteran is good enough...though I strongly recommend making veteran training cost 1 more GB than in the BRCS(+3 GB instead of +2 to base muster cost).

Then I'd make Elite +6 GB, and Crack +10 GB muster.

I've wondered what a campaign would be like if only green or regular troops could be mustered with the Muster Troops court action. Training those troops (with a character action and Lead check, plus appropriate facilities, as per the BRCS) could raise them to veteran status, as well as grant them special training options. The difference is that it would take time and effort. Veteran armies couldn't be mustered quite so rapidly, but would have to be forged over time. This would create some deeper attachment and pride for military regents over the armies they've crafted, and particular units they've honed to elite status. Good flavor, I think.

It would also be a great reason for landed regents to get a solid military lieutenant with some good Lead and Warcraft skills.

Thread Information