Downloads
    Uploads

Chapter 6 - Armies (unit armor)

In Chapter 6, bottom of page 3 and top of page 4, is a section on unit armor. It reads:

Unit armor

The quality of armor and training in its use is a major factor in the mobility and survivability of a unit. Armor provides a defensive bonus, at the cost of mobility and the freedom to effectively wield missile weapons. A unit whose modified missile rating (due to armor) is below +0 loses the ability to make a ranged attack. All units must have one of the following armor ratings:

None: The unit is not provided with armor. Unit modifier: defense 10, muster cost +0 GB.

Light (Lt): The unit is equipped with light armor, such as leather armor. Unit modifier: defense 12, +0.5 GB muster cost.

Medium (Md): The unit is equipped with medium armor, such as chain mail. Unit modifier: defense 14, -2 missile, -1 move, +0.5 GB muster cost.

Heavy (Hv): The unit is equipped with heavy armor, such as half-plate. Unit modifier: defense 16, -4 missile, -2 move, +1.5 GB muster cost. Special: Heavy cavalry units gain an additional +2 attack bonus when charging.

I think I understand the reasoning behind this, but I must argue a point.

None and light armor - just fine, no problems.

Medium armor reduces missile rating? Chainmail, scale mail, hide and breastplate should have no effect on shooting a missile weapon. If you are thinking these are restrictive armors and thus can't manipulate a weapon as easily, I disagree. Each of these has a max dex of +2 or greater. Slowing down a unit, yes - they are heavier. Costing more - yes, absolutely. In fact, I'd say make med armor cost +1 GB base instead of .5 GB to complete the progression of .5, 1 and 1.5.

Heavy armor certainly reduces missile rating - those are big, bulky, full body armors.

I suggest med armor has no effect on missile, and heavy armor has a -2 missile. I like the speed reductions as they are. Make med armor cost +1 GB.

Any comments?

I think Medium armor might include shields though. And shields certainly effect missile efficeincy.

Consider medium armor is what most infantry forces use, and most infantry forces in 2nd edition BR had shields. However, most light armored forces only had bucklers at best usually(always exceptions to this rule). That my take on it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Shields

Hmm. That makes sense.

But anyone with a shield can't fire a missile weapon anyway, so shouldn't be a -2, but a 'none' missile rating in that case. But definitely point well made.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Perhaps its a penalty rather than a "none" because it is assumed that the shields carried by medium armor troops could be slung to allow ranged attacks (if somewhat awkwardly)?

Otherwise I generally agree with your thoughts on this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BrennanHawkwood
    Perhaps its a penalty rather than a "none" because it is assumed that the shields carried by medium armor troops could be slung to allow ranged attacks (if somewhat awkwardly)?
    That's how I interpret it, a penalty vice incapable. Pretty easy to justify when one considers the ranges involved.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads

costs

Well, it seems shields are the purpose, and the penalties stay. But what about the costs? Shouldn't medium armor cost more than light?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    Well, it seems shields are the purpose, and the penalties stay. But what about the costs? Shouldn't medium armor cost more than light?
    Seems reasonable to me. But I'll turn it over to my staff. I've got a staff now - a few people actually volunteered to help with this project - it may get done now. Happy happy joy joy .
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information