Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Still playing...

I felt the need to announce that I've gotten off the bench and gotten back into the game. One week from today, I will be running a Birthright game again.

The rules will be Pathfinder, the campaign will be based on the Kingmaker Adventure Path from Paizo. I've made modifications to move it into our favorite setting, and some more changes to make it a Vos realm. The title of the AP is pretty accurate, but the game is about exploring and settling an untamed country, rather than the politics and intrigue of a normal BR game. I will be having my players based in Rovninodensk, heading west into the Mistmoor to take that over in the name of the Tsar.

Still playing... [9#28230]

Very cool! Keep us posted!

I am now moving onto week 4 of a campaign we jumped into, dusting off all the 2nd edition books…and it`s a blast. The characters are…the Overthane of Baruk-Azhik, the head of the Royal Guild of Baruk-Azhik, a Wizard who is acting as the Human (unpopular) Court Wizard in Baruk-Azhik, a "Sheriff" (blooded, not a regent) Ranger and Royal Huntsman (of Orogs) to Baruk-Azhik on the surface, the Hierophant of the LPA and a traveling bard.

The new Overthane thinks that the laws of the Dwarves can be defended best with a new relationship to the scattering of Human`s in some of his territories on the surface: and maybe a new notion of nation will emerge fighting Orogs, Ruobhe influence on the Sielwolde, the Chimaera, neighbors in Civil War in Brecht and the Gorgon…or maybe they will all die at the bottom of their current dungeon delve!

Skirmish rules are proving really good and fluid for rapid, story driven combat (I have marauding Gnolls in Bran`s Retreat, and having the character bodyguards fight it out fast and clean is working). I made an XLS engine to make combat results FAST.

On Nov 24, 2012, at 1:18 PM, Lee <brnetboard@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.
    > You can view the entire thread at:
    > http://www.birthright.net/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=28230
    >
    > Lee wrote:
    > I felt the need to announce that I`ve gotten off the bench and gotten back into the game. One week from today, I will be running a Birthright game again.
    >
    >
    >
    > The rules will be Pathfinder, the campaign will be based on the Kingmaker Adventure Path from Paizo. I`ve made modifications to move it into our favorite setting, and some more changes to make it a Vos realm. The title of the AP is pretty accurate, but the game is about exploring and settling an untamed country, rather than the politics and intrigue of a normal BR game. I will be having my players based in Rovninodensk, heading west into the Mistmoor to take that over in the name of the Tsar.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Sounds exciting! Keep us posted.

Downloads
    Uploads

oops, haven't been posting here

A short update, then. The game has been monthly, but we had to skip one session since December. In terms of the AP, they've finished book 1.

The party, all Vos, has defeated a major vassal of Danika Vorac and now have formal permission from the Tsar of Rovninodensk to settle and claim one province of the Mistmoor. (Map scales are way screwy between the two games, the players haven't caught on to my conversion factor there.) They've met some of the nearby nobles/vassals in Rovninodensk, and will meet some more in-game soon.

We've got a ranger, a rogue specialized in diplomatic things, an inquisitor for Belinik, a barbarian, an oracle for Karesha (I'm allowing a winter-wolf puppy as an animal companion), and a cavalier (varsk rider, of course). All but the ranger have bloodlines, but only the cavalier and the rogue have expressed any interest in ruling or influencing the ruler.

Side note: After the bursts of blood power from defeating 1 Azrai scion and 1 awnshegh, I think only 1 of the 5 player bloodlines is not Azrai by now.

The rogue's player gave me excellent background that I could weave into the hidden plot of the AP, the cavalier, oracle, and ranger gave me good backgrounds that I could use to benefit them in game, the other two I'm still waiting for something to pop up.

Downloads
    Uploads

A new realm!

This month's game saw one of the characters step up to become the new Baroness of ... well, they haven't picked a name yet. It's the diplomatic rogue, whose background included being from one of the more powerful vassal families in Rovninodensk. (I'm starting another thread relevant to that.)

The Paizo messageboards had some useful spreadsheets for kingdom management under their system, and another of the players was willing to step up an run the spreadsheet and make most of the important decisions there. (Even though she's playing the one unblooded character, my wife's going to be running the kingdom... go figure.)

Both of these made me very happy, since the last time I ran a Birthright game (King of the Giantdowns, with about half of these players), no one wanted to rise to the rulership.

Even better, while working through the domain turns (we plotted out 6 monthly turns), she also plotted out which parts of the land they will be exploring next, so I can really detail my encounters and plots for those time periods! As a planning-addicted GM, this made me even more happy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's still active. They're about halfway through Book 2.

Their barony grew a little, now up to 5 hexes going into winter. They've fought off some fey interlopers (the AP has heavy interference from the unseelie at the end, this is only some way-too-early foreshadowing).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like they're having fun

I'm going to have to learn "Pathfinder" real quick

I haven't played in a long time but really want to get back into some "Birthright". I have not experience with "Pathfinder", but would love to hop in on next go round if you don't mind teaching a bit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep. We played again last Saturday. A really, really, big owlbear was blown away in 2 turns by the tricked-out cavalier and the rest of the party.

Amusingly, they turned down a LOT of treasure:
    1) inside the owlbear's lair were the remains of a previous adventuring party, with a magic weapon and armor. The leader of that party was a nobleman that they had met before. The group opted to take his stuff back to his family rather than keep the magic. I need to reward them, in-game, with closer ties from that family.
    2) Also there, was a map, with a big "X" marking "Big magic sword in this barrow here." They decided not to investigate-- digging up graves is a serious problem for these Vos, apparently.

They levelled to 6th. The player of the inquisitor struggled with the rules for that class, so he's switched to an unblooded Rjurik ranger, with the falconer archetype. He really wants to capture a roc and learn to fly on it-- the module does include one of those in the nearby hills. The Baroness (rogue) took a level of scion (Vorynn), to boost her regency.

Since we have only one regent, we'll be fast-forwarding through a lot of the next few seasons. Wintertime in Vosgaard isn't prime adventuring time, anyway, right? I also introduced the element of the Tsar wanting to campaign against Danica Vorac, so he has called on them for some troops. Two of the players volunteered to go along, too, so they will be away during the time fast-forwarded. I should make up something for them to collect.

They did pick up a survivor of another adventuring party, and I gave them enough clues to suspect he's a werewolf, which raises some interesting questions. So far, I haven't placed a 12th+ level cleric around, so curing him is going to be impossible. See #1, above, I think that family ought to introduce them to a proper-level cleric?

Downloads
    Uploads
    This game is still active, mostly. Half my players are on another continent, so we are taking a summer hiatus.

Short Summary: they're up to 8th level, except the barbarian, she was killed by trolls. I would have ruled that Vos don't really go for raising the dead, but the player really wanted to keep this PC, so I let them know about a priest who would do it. Which allowed me to feed into one of the adventure hooks down the road, the legendary warrior Armag, who is supposed to be "twice-born" in the case of imminent sidhe invasion.

The new barony fought a short war with a troll realm to their west (see above, death), defeating the troll-king and scattering his warriors. There was some time spent on mopping up after that, including the wiping out of a gnoll village allied to the trolls. The Baroness married one of the Papanovich brothers, and is about to give birth to an heir next game-month.

The cavalier and barbarian went off on their own during a sweep for bandits, and cleaned out a goblin village. The cavalier is turning out to be a "humans only" kind of guy.

There's a little rivalry bubbling with the barony to the northeast, I have been bending Random Events to build that up. Given the cavalier's tendencies, goading them into attacking a tribe of bugbears for the next game wasn't hard at all. The bugbears will be led by something unseelie from the Shadow World (spirit naga, in game terms).

Thread Information