Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

BRCS domain tracking database

Hey everyone. I am endevouring to build a database that DMs can use to track domain actions, players, etc. and basically make the running of the domain turns easier. Right now I'm in the planning stage so I'll list the "entities" or tables that I thought we would want to keep track of. Just looking for anyone's input on if there is anything else I should add or take away.

REALM
    HOLDING
    PROVINCE
    DOMAIN
    BLOODLINE
    REGENT
    TREASURY
    ARMY
    UNIT
    REGENCY
    INCOME
    EXPENSE
    COURT
    ASSETS
    VASSALAGE

Please let me know what you guys think and I can then get started with designing the entity relationships.
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Downloads
    Uploads
    The table list I came up with I was working through this idea was this:

Note this includes lookups, junctions and some tables intended to support implementation as a web-based application. I worked this up back in february '04 and IIRC I was working off the playtest BRCS.

accessData
    actionData
    alignmentData
    assetTypeData
    bloodlineDerivationData
    bloodlineStrengthData
    characterData
    classData
    classData_regentData
    courtData
    cultureData
    deityData
    diplomaticRelations
    domainData
    experienceData
    gameData
    holdingAssetData
    holdingData
    holdingTypeData
    laylineData
    laylinePathData
    lieutenantData
    militaryStatusData
    militaryUnitsData
    militaryUnits_unitSpecials
    moraleData
    navyData
    playerData
    playerData_gameData
    prebuiltUnits
    prebuiltUnits_unitSpecials
    provinceData
    provincialAssetData
    randomEventHistory
    regionData
    relationLevels
    shipClasses
    shipData
    shipType_region
    terrainData
    tradeRouteData
    tradeRoutePathData
    turnData
    unitSpecialData
    unitTypeData
    unitType_special
    vassalageData

Man I overused the term 'data' Not sure if I would put this together the same way if I were to do it today of course...if you want the actual db its in MS Access 2000. I did the tables, fields and relationships and that is about as far as I got with it beyond a variety of scribbled notes on various ideas of how I was going to build it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since I am showing ya'll my attempt at building a database to hold all this info, I figured I'd snap a screenshot of the database diagram. (It's a pretty sizable image so I will be taking it down eventually...)

Database Diagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's pretty detailed, seems to track almost every aspect of being a regent. Tell me, where did the project ravel apart at? Was it just building the data entry screens, queries, and reports? Or was there some structural issues that needed to be rectified like redundancies, anomalies, dependancies etc.? I would be interested in having a copy of your DB since I was going to build mine in Access 2k as well.
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Downloads
    Uploads
    The unravelling was mostly time based...too many things I wanted to do with my free time and not enough free time to do them all.

I'll email the database to you if you'd like. There isn't any data in it at the moment. The process of getting some basic info in there to work with while building the app is where the lack of time started to be telling.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've emailed the database to you Ausrick. It looks like I was able to get a number of the lookup tables populated, but not much beyond that. IIRC my plan had been to enter the baseline birthright data into a 'game' that would then be used as a template to create additional games within the system based on that baseline setting information without having to re-enter it all every time.

You are planning to build a ms access based desktop app right? I'd love to see what you come up with.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i can provide a dump of a mysql database i created a long time ago.
    With an easy script you should be able to populate the neccessary tables
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the offer Arjan. I'm interested in all the resources I can get. Please tell me more.
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Downloads
    Uploads
    BrennanHawkwood,

yeah, and thanks.

That was pretty much my idea. I've just been running into this massive time consuming roadblock in my tabletop game I'm running where I'm struggling just to find out what different Regents have and where they get it from. In the original RoE book from the box set. a guilder will be listed in 3 different realms for example, and if their assets are from more than one region, like say heartlands and southern coast for instance, tracking that info down can be even harder. I'm looking at all the sheets of looseleaf I've been going through and the sloppy excel spreadsheets I've thrown together and have said this is enough!!!

I'm thinking now though If I'm going to get it out and available any time soon to the populous, I'll have to start basic and make it expandable.

I'm thinking my goal for stage one would be to have a DB where when you enter a Regent, and all his relevant statistics and holdings, assets and liabilities you would then have a nice printable version of his/her domain sheet and know how his/her regency pool and treasury are affected each season. I would want it to be flexible so that different DM's that do things differently can somehow account for that and thus maintain its usefulness.
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Thread Information