I'd like to begin by giving a nod to the Rjurik as I see them to be the softer Norse/Scots combination with the druids and focus on nature. I differ in that I don't think they have the elements of the Mythic Vikings. This is grossly oversimplifying them, but I know the issue would come up.

There are some play on words that I think contribute to my focus on the Vos. That is the Scandinavian Rus = Vos and Asgaard = Vosgaard. I am attempting to go with a bordering region that touches. Taking the Volga river and using its first letter to replace a few things you get a lot of Vos stuff. There isn't a major semblance that I have, and I am sure there isn't one. As I said its just a play on words. Also I am sure there are a lot more plays that can be made.

The major historical reference I am going to dissect the Vikings. Viking itself is a V word that describes the Vos, though a more distorted impression of that group of people. Therefore I am thinking the Vos are a much more fantastical culture. The elements of the Viking that I would like to attribute to the Vos are in the list below. This isn't a comprehensive list, more of a start so it is not limited to the following.

Viking:
Berserker: I think this explains itself.

Ragnarok (Doom of the Gods): This would explain most of their culture as they see the destruction of all things as imminent even the gods. A very Belinik outlook.

Fimbulvetr (winter of winters): This justifies their Heartless Wastes as a home as the end is near. A very Kriesha outlook.

Valhalla: warrior culture.

God of War (Thor absent thunder): Although to some this would reflect Cuiraecen, to others the son of Haelyn and Nesirie is their attempt at usurping Belenik. Obviously a different outlook on the gods here. But it is hinted at that the gods are not as pure as the previous pantheon. That is to say they all absorbed parts of all the old gods, even Azrai. Therefore with this outlook it isn't so difficult to muster a comprehension that Cuiraecen and Belenik are at odds with being the god of war.

Mercenaries/Raiders/Pirates: typical things to go a viking.

Fatalism: They accept death in their everyday life. To them the world is harsh and is always a battle of survival. Death isn't as ugly to them as the softer civilized folk of the rest of Cerilia.

Some elements of the Picts although this isn't really an easy group to define historically.

Pict:

Skin Tattoos: Tattoo Magic

Magical race: Vos Magical Aptitude with Vorynn before the flight of the shadow.

Neolithic: savage compared to our standards.

Headhunters: Headhunters, eat the hearts of their enemies, torture, and barbarity.

Other possible ideas I have are not quite good fits. I've read some suggestions from the Huns, Mongols, Visigoths, and other likely candidates to use for historical references.

Fantastical fits are Conan's nihilistic outlook, his fierceness, and an Arthurian kind of kinship, which I believe fits perfectly for the Vos. I refer to a more neolithic version of the myth of Arthur, not the post Roman vision.

The Picts of Hyborea seem to also have some elements of Vos-like culture, but they are not a complete fit either. I even jokingly posted the Vos as Klingons on my current pbem with the skull looking shaved and their warlike culture.

Why this topic and why now? I am playing an under utilized Vos character in Anuire and have been thinking about this alot. I am wondering if anyone has ideas they've come up with that they'd like to share to maybe help me out with my creative process.