Downloads
    Uploads

Question Blood, Regeancy, Playtest vrs. Ch2 "sanctioned"

I have some questions between the Playtest version I downloaded, and the Chapter Two update that I have.

Regency points, in the playtest copy that I have, it says that you can get a maximum of 2x bloodlinescore in RP per season, it takes 4x bloodlinescore in RP to raise your bloodlinescore, and the most that you can store is 5x bloodlinescore. also, the modifiers to the bloodlinescore go up at the same rate as any ability score (i.e. 16-17=+3, 18-19=+4, 20-21=+5 etc.).

Now in this Chapter 2 update I have (which might be an older version there are some type-o's in it.) I see that the maximum regeancy per season is = to bloodline score, the maximum reserve is 2x the bloodline score, and (the confusing part that is either me not understanding or a typo in the version I have) to raise your bloodline score there are references to spending current bloodlinescore +1 in RP and to spending bloodlinescore X2 in RP, both say "as per the standard method".

Now at first glance I was assuming that the rule change was basically halving the RP received and making you have to have bloodline scores higher than 20 to really get any bonus from them, but now I see that when generating your score in Ch2 update you double it after rolling, thus RP collect in theory would be roughly on par with the playtest version. So that leaves me with these final questions.

1) To raise your Bld score, is it current Bld + 1, or is it 2x Bld in RP?
    2) Behind the curtain, what matter of balance or play smoothness prompted these mechanics changes. I know that in second edition bloodline scores were roughly twice as large as the playtest scores, but that couldn't be the only reason for the redesign. Could someone in the know give me the scoop?
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Downloads
    Uploads
    First off don't refer back to the playtest version of Chap 2 it will only serve to confuse you in the long run.

The revised/sanctioned Chap 2 is the only one to use.

Please give the reference points where the text is confusing so that I will be able to make any necessary corrections to it.

The reason the mechanic was changed (e.g., double the initial ability score) was to make things more in line with the 2nd ed material and to serve as clearer change from an equivalent ability score. This puts scion's blood scores back in line with the NPCs in the 2nd ed material - which made more people feel comfortable.

You can not increase your blood score every 4th level like other abilities - there are other means of increasing it.

To increase the blood score it RP must be maintained at present score +1 (i.e., target score) for 2 consecutive seasons. {This is one of the reasons that the reserve is equal to 2x blood score, to allow for this} It was also real close to the way it was handled in 2nd ed.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads

Ch2 sanctioned

Thanks for you reply Irdeggman,

Ok, first the Typo that I saw. last sentence on page 10 reads.
    "Scions of very power scions may gain nothing from slaying scions of very weak bloodlines."
    I'm assuming it is supposed to say "Scions of very powerful bloodlines." I'm not trying to be picky, I realize this is a massive undertaking and I am thankful to you and the other developers. The information and style is superb and definitely carries the BR feel. It is just that after noticing this it made me wonder if what I was having a problem understanding was a typo or if it was just me misunderstanding it.

What Im really confused about is this:

on page 11, last paragraph of the section "Bloodtheft" it reads as follows:
    "A scion that commits bloodtheft is not subject to any maximum limit for absorbing RP (normally twice the receiving scion's bloodline score). Furthermore, this regency is immediately used to raise the scion's bloodline score at the standard cost (one more than the current bloodline score)."
    under "becoming blooded through Usurpation", though, it reads as follows:
    "Newly created scions are not subject to a maximum regency collection – they absorb all available regency in their share of the burst. None of this regency is stored; it is immediately used to raise the new scion's bloodline score at the standard cost (twice the current bloodline score) up to a maximum of one less than the victim."
    So I am wondering if this is a misprint or if there is a mechanics difference between bloodtheft and becoming blooded through usurpation. If there are different mechanics, then when are they used?

It would seem to me, and it could be wrong, this is just my understanding, that, except for investiture, there are the following situations to gain Bld score:

1. RP is kept above X for two seasons.
    2. Blooded character is slain via massive damage by other blooded character(s)
    3. Blooded character is slain via massive damage by non-blooded character(s)
    4. Blooded character is slain via Tighmaevril/heart peircing by other blooded character(s)
    5. Blooded character is slain via Tighmaevril/heart peircing by non-blooded character(s)
    So, in all these situations, is the RP required Bld + 1, or 2x Bld?
    Also, in situation 1, I understand that if you keep RP above Bld+1 for two seasons it is automatically used to raise your score, but I was wondering if you could "choose" to spend the RP to raise it at the moment you aquired Bld+1 in RP from rulership, or if you had to wait the requisite two seasons for it to automatically happen?
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, first the Typo that I saw. last sentence on page 10 reads

Good catch you are correct in your interpretation. I’ll add this to my working copy.

Try this thread for the issue of usurpation and see if that handles the question you had on usurpation and the “conflicts” there – I think it does, but I could be wrong.

http://www.birthright.net/showthread.php?t=2748

It would seem to me, and it could be wrong, this is just my understanding, that, except for investiture, there are the following situations to gain Bld score:

1. RP is kept above X for two seasons.

Correct.

2. Blooded character is slain via massive damage by other blooded character(s)

Actually it doesn’t have to be massive damage just damage that spills the blood.

From the BRCS

However, because the scions divine essence is contained in his blood, this usurpation can only occur if a scion dies in a violent manner and his blood is literally spilt. If a blooded character dies non-violently, by poison, or a spell that doesn’t result in the spilling of blood, then the divine essence of their bloodline passes with them, either to their heir or to into the land itself if they had not designated a heir. However, if a scion’s blood is spilt as a result of his death in hand-to-hand combat then the divine essence of his or her birthright is released in a burst of immediate power.

3. Blooded character is slain via massive damage by non-blooded character(s)

Same as above, but has special rules for acquiring a bloodline – it is not automatic.

4. Blooded character is slain via Tighmaevril/heart peircing by other blooded character(s)

Actually this is only a special application of the rule that applies whenever a scion is slain (basically there is no limit to the amount of RP transferred and all of it goes towards increasing the bloodline score).

5. Blooded character is slain via Tighmaevril/heart peircing by non-blooded character(s)

Actually this is handled the same as normally killing a scion violently. In order to gain a benefit from using a weapon made of tighmaevril the wielder must already be a scion.

So, in all these situations, is the RP required Bld + 1, or 2x Bld?

To raise the bld score it is always Present blood score +1 (or the “target”) score.

Also, in situation 1, I understand that if you keep RP above Bld+1 for two seasons it is automatically used to raise your score, but I was wondering if you could "choose" to spend the RP to raise it at the moment you aquired Bld+1 in RP from rulership, or if you had to wait the requisite two seasons for it to automatically happen?

No you cannot. The only way to raise it via wise rulership is for the automatic method to occur and the target score must be maintained for 2 consecutive seasons. Pretty close to the 2nd ed rules except that in 2nd ed it required an action to raise it vice it being an automatic thing.

Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads

always Current Bld +1

Thanks Irdeggman,

That link did in fact answer my question. Your working copy from 8/16/05 has not made it to the released copy as of 11/8/2005. (Not an attack, I know how being busy effects time tables and schedules and you don't want to release a new copy for just one or two errata. Date of release copy as of this post says 2/19/2005, and these dates are mm/dd/yyyy btw for the rest of the world). Thanks again Irdeggman for your help.

quote from linked post, the exact answer of my question:
    Got it – its under “becoming blooded through usurpation”. The example is incorrect also. The numbers don’t add up correctly (used the previous bloodline score vice the target one for calculations).

Corrected text should be:

Becoming blooded through usurpation

Non-blooded creatures exposed to divine energies released during usurpation may spontaneously become blooded. This occurred on a massive scale at Deismaar and transformed its heroes into the first scions. If a non-blooded character absorbs RP from a source whose derivation agrees with their basic nature, they may become blooded.

The non-blooded character must make a character level check (d20 + character level) against a DC of 20 (15 if the derivation is Azrai). If successful, the character becomes blooded and gains a bloodline ability score of 5 or one half of the bloodline strength of the victim whichever is lower, with the bloodline strength and derivation of the victim. Newly created scions are not subject to a maximum regency collection – they absorb all available regency in their share of the burst. None of this regency is stored; it is immediately used to raise the new scion's bloodline score at the standard cost (one plus the current bloodline score) up to a maximum of one less than the victim. This process is repeated until all RP are spent (the remainder are discarded).

For example, a scion of Anduiras (major, 16) is slain by a blow through the heart by a non-blooded character. A burst of divine energy with an intensity of 80 RP is released and absorbed in its entirety by the slayer. The non-blooded slayer makes a character level check against DC 20. If the check fails, the 80 RP are forever gone (the RP are not absorbed by the non-blooded character, but instead pass through him and into the land with no permanent effect to character). If the check succeeds, the slayer becomes a scion with a bloodline of Anduiras (major, 12). The bloodline score was calculated as follows. The scion gains a starting score of 5. The absorbed regency increases this total by +5; from 5 to 6 (11 RP spent, 69 remaining), from 6 to 7 (18 RP spent, 62 remaining), from 7 to 8 (26 RP spent, 54 remaining), from 8 to 9 (35 RP spent, 45 remaining), from 9 to 10 (45 RP spent, 35 remaining), from 10 to 11 (56 RP spent, 24 remaining, from 11 to 12 (68 RP spent, 12 remaining). The remaining 12 RP are discarded, and the newly created scion starts with a regency reserve of 0 RP. The newly created scion also has a major bloodline and is eligible to gain a single level of the Anduiras scion class.

I'll put it into my "working" copy.
    So in summary, Bloodline score + 1 is the mechanic in all instances, and my bad, when I said massive damage I didn't mean the D20 rule of taking enough damage to force a fortitude save or die outright but instead I meant "Negative 10 HP through violent means/blood being spilt". Thanks again.
    Last edited by ausrick; 11-09-2005 at 06:14 PM.
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Thread Information