2nd Edition / 3.0/3.5/4.0

I note there are discussion forums for 3.0+ but there are no discussion forums specifically for 2nd edition? Is there any particular reason why?

This everyone who play birthright today use the BRCS version of the game? I know back in the day the second edition rules that was keen. I have a lot of great memoriesof using that system. Does anyone know if there is a hosted version of the second edition rulebook anywhere? I looked on the wizards of the Coast website and I did not see it.

When is the last time anyone ran a second edition game? Were the pros and cons of second versus 3.0+ editions.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As I see it, those forums are more for questions and comments about the projects of converting Birthright to those editions, that's why they are separated from the Royal Library, which is the forum for generic Birthright questions.

Edit: there isn't a hosted version of the 2e rules anywhere. WotC does not sell the PDF, so your only chance is to get the original game.

I am curious, other a lot of people in this community who do not own the second edition birthright material? I ask because the entire original game was based upon the second edition system.

The way I understand the wizards of the Coast's policy on Birthright is that we're not allowed to copy Word for Word material from the second edition system but we are fully allowed to paraphrase with exacting detail information and rules pertaining to the second edition system. The kicker is that we have to use our own terminology or words versus quoting verbatim the actual rules.

Am I correct or has there been a policy change?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ran a 2nd edition campaign not so long ago (see my signature). I used 2nd ed rules mostly because I din't play with them for 12 years, and I wanted to test them again. I also didn't want to bother with conversion and such.

The Campaign was a complete success, but honestly not thanks to ruleset. The rules are easy, but sometimes a little weird or completely unplayable (archery in melee, i'm looking at you).

The success of the campaign was mostly due to the great setting, and of course players + DM.

If I run another Birthright campaign (and I definitely plan to) I think I'll use the conversion from this site, or a little conversion I'm doing myself using d20 Modern ruleset (!).

2nd edition games

Quote Originally Posted by Muaadeeb View Post
    I note there are discussion forums for 3.0+ but there are no discussion forums specifically for 2nd edition? Is there any particular reason why?

This everyone who play birthright today use the BRCS version of the game? I know back in the day the second edition rules that was keen. I have a lot of great memoriesof using that system. Does anyone know if there is a hosted version of the second edition rulebook anywhere? I looked on the wizards of the Coast website and I did not see it.

When is the last time anyone ran a second edition game? Were the pros and cons of second versus 3.0+ editions.
    I only run 2nd edition games of Birthright. I am most comfortable with 2nd edition than any other really. I have tried 3rd but it just doesn't appeal to me. I also only play with stuff produced by TSR for the most part. To be honest though, Birthright isn't for everyone in the few game groups I have tried. Most of them are put off by power politics. That or it was because my brother was usually four or five steps ahead of every other player in his plotting.

The last time I tried to run a game was a couple of years ago with some 3rd edition players.

I wonder if anyone has tried second edition birthright with the player creation and melee rules from 3.5 or Pathfinder.

Effectively all Regent/domain activities are handled versus the second edition publications.

All personal or character actions having with 3.5 or Pathfinder. Has anyone ever gone down this road before?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not tried myself, but it could definitely work. In the end, the whole Domain "mini-game", is quite detached from the ADnD ruleset. Same for the Battle Rules.

In those few cases where you have to make a NWP check, you can easily substitute for a skill check.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Specific forums have been added by Arjan from time to time to deal with new areas that people were particularly interested in discussing.

I expect that Arjan added 3e to deal with the conversion (at the time required for us to remain an official fansite) and similarly the 4e site. As however the main site was 2e originally there was never a need to make a forum for it in the same manner.

Personally I'd have liked a forum for the computer game, mods for computer games, and computer aids like spreadsheets, birmail, etc as it would make finding threads slightly easier.

In practice some of the forums are barely used, while the wiki has taken over the need for some of the others.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder if anyone has tried second edition birthright with the player creation and melee rules from 3.5 or Pathfinder.

Effectively all Regent/domain activities are handled versus the second edition publications.

All personal or character actions having with 3.5 or Pathfinder. Has anyone ever gone down this road before?

Yes. This is my style of play. My gaming group and I play in the Birthright setting pretty extensively. Characterization and combat are typically handled in the latest edition of D&D; we made the transition to 3rd and 4th very quickly after both came out in 2000 and 2008. Thus far, we've had two Birthright campaigns in 4th. Both were adventuring games however, with minimal domain level play (and run over Skype since the group has scattered hither and yon). Conversion from 2E to 3E was never a big deal --- it basically evolved from an ad hoc system, to the latest conversion manual, to some of the rules from the BRCS. Conversion to 4E was a little more complicated.

In all cases, I continue to use the original domain level rules plus some house rules, rather than those from the BRCS. Also, I use the court actions from the BRCS, which were one of that document's best innovations IMO.

Back in the days when I ran PBEMs, I used the BRCS almost exclusively as it provided a solid baseline for those who came to the game after it was no longer for sale (although I kept some stuff from the original that I thought worked better). If I ever run another PBEM, then it won't use such detailed character rules at all... I must admit to sometimes becoming frustrated in PBEMs by having to build a complete D&D character full of skills and feats I'll never use simply because of the style of play.

Thread Information