Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Osoerde

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes it fed several other adventures.

Dwarven Steel (from Legends of the Hero Kings) {Heroes proved themselves worthy to be "tested"}

I used Blood Hungry with one of the "triad"
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Was it Ever "Raenech" in any printing? I thought I remember stumbling across a debate on that on the Forums here in the past. I mean I guess thats not as horrible as Siele Ghoried of the Spider River Traders having a gender change.

It would seem that William would need all the allies he could get supporting him because of his few law holdings that he has doesn't produce enough income or RP for him to do much of anything. If he has to maintain a court (does he? I'm a little foggy on the rule) then he's definately on a tight budget. On the other side of the coin, Jaison has to have someone who wants him to stay in power because he's got Ghoere, Aerenwe, Coeranys(sp), and a leutenant who aren't happy with him or are eyeing his duchy. So usually how to you guys each back these two reagents?

Also a fun thought, does anyone know how the MOC gets along with the CSH? It would seem they draw on entirely different aspects and might even clash as much as the OIT and the IHH. Does it sound like a fun plot idea to have the MOC in my campaign make some moves on the CSH and erode William's support base even farther?
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ausrick
    Was it Ever "Raenech" in any printing? I thought I remember stumbling across a debate on that on the Forums here in the past. I mean I guess thats not as horrible as Siele Ghoried of the Spider River Traders having a gender change.
    Nope. There was only 1 printing of the 2nd ed rulebook.

IIRC the debate came about becasue people that that it was a "typo" originally.

IMO Jaison's support comes from guilders (except the dwarves), the SW and Vos temple.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    My group has been adventuring in Osoerde recently as well, and what interested me is the level 1 church of Vosgaard in the capital. I was wondering if anyone had any more information or opinions on that, such as where it came from, how established is it, and when it got there. How does it play into the whole power struggle, if at all?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that Jaison has started to look elsewhere as the IHH has begun preaching against him...

I saw the IHH as initially accepting due to family loyalty (very strong in those days) and then coming to see Jaison's growing blood thirstiness, etc.

Jaison presumably started out by slandering the former ruler and William - but when people started to see his true colours he's had to move towards brutality to keep order, and the more he tightens his fist the more the IHH complains...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sanctioned by Raenech himself? That would be truly dastardly! How many people in Osoerde know about this, do you think?

Also, what do you mean by family loyalty - the IHH isn't related to Raenech in any way, unless there's a facet of the relationship there that I'm not aware of.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I mis-read the family names ages ago like a few others. It seemed like a good way to explain the state faith not going ballistic over the impalings and crucifixions...

And similarly it explained why Jaison doesn't crush the IHH - he knows that ultimately the IHH won't push for his overthrow even if they have to oppose some of his plans... At least he did in the beginning.

I see the Belinik faith as growing in both Osoerde and Ghoere, a more brutal alternative to Haelyn that is less likely to complain about the 'strong' ruler or the importance of law and tradition.

I wondered about a spontaneous bloodline shift for Jaison? I haven't seen the possibility mentioned anywhere, but can't see why it couldn't happen for a deeply corrupt scion over time. Azrai was often subtle in his corruption and intermarriage might leave tiny seeds lying dormant, awaiting for a scion to embrace their 'true' heritage.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that the doctrines of Cuiraécen could be twisted and distorted from noble battle in pursuit of freedom from tyranny to just embracing wanton violence. As these knights embrace similar, but darker values of Belinik, they can unknowingly be recruited by the One True Church of Vosgaard.

As such, they don't know they have left the faith of the Stormlord, as only the clerics of the temple know the truth. Once they have traveled far enough down the path they might be shown the truth of who they now serve.

So I would say that knowledge of the existance of a Beninik worshiping sect in Anuire is secret. Other knights of Cuiraécen would simply say there are some heretical knights out there (but a CG church isn't normally a powerful force of orthodoxy to begin with) but little more is done.

Here is a bit I wrote a while ago on how Haelyn and others would communicate this kind of thing to their followers.

Haelyn is concerned about the True Church of Vosgaard, but does not tell
    any mortals of this. Instead the concern of the Giver of Justice manifest
    themselves in subtle ways. A few exceptionally astute observers notice
    certain things. A well regarded priest of Haelyn in Algael tells a high
    placed friend in the Eastern Temple of Neserie about his personal concerns
    about some of the priests Jaison Raenech has established in Castel Morhaas
    in the city of Moriel. The priest of Haelyn is unaware how his deep
    insights into Haelyn`s wisdom literature put him at one with his diety on
    this matter. Meanwhile a virtuous farmer in Halried has visions of a great
    combat between Belinik and Cuiraécen. Most people think he`s just dreaming
    about the famous literary telling of the famous battle between the two gods
    (in which Belinik gets his scar). Finally, a series of storms and rough
    weather at sea convinces a key priestess of Neserie that the godess is
    concerned about grave matters involving the Lord of Noble War and the
    Stormlord. Something is happening in the celestial sphere. The PC`s put
    together the Algaelian law priests concerns, the visison of the yeoman, and
    the odd weather at sea and conclude that the priests of Belinik in Moriel
    are up to something no good and need to be stopped. Liliene Swordwraith,
    having heard the whole story tells the PC`s that their actions may lead to
    war with Osoerde, but Aerenwe is ready if it comes to that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck
    I think that the doctrines of Cuiraécen could be twisted and distorted from noble battle in pursuit of freedom from tyranny to just embracing wanton violence. As these knights embrace similar, but darker values of Belinik, they can unknowingly be recruited by the One True Church of Vosgaard.
    Good take.

Now this would put those with the "slanted" doctrine of Cuiraecen as enemies of any paladins of Cuiraecen, well at least not on their "favored" list.

The paladins (like the one in my old campaign) would most definitely be in opposition to Jaisen though - they are defenders of the weak and all that and not known for their diplomatic tendencies.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall
    I mis-read the family names ages ago like a few others. It seemed like a good way to explain the state faith not going ballistic over the impalings and crucifixions...

And similarly it explained why Jaison doesn't crush the IHH - he knows that ultimately the IHH won't push for his overthrow even if they have to oppose some of his plans... At least he did in the beginning.

I see the Belinik faith as growing in both Osoerde and Ghoere, a more brutal alternative to Haelyn that is less likely to complain about the 'strong' ruler or the importance of law and tradition.

I wondered about a spontaneous bloodline shift for Jaison? I haven't seen the possibility mentioned anywhere, but can't see why it couldn't happen for a deeply corrupt scion over time. Azrai was often subtle in his corruption and intermarriage might leave tiny seeds lying dormant, awaiting for a scion to embrace their 'true' heritage.
    Ah, you're thinking of the CSH, run by Wincae Raehech. The IHH is run by Hubaere Armiendin. I really like your idea about the alternative to Haelyn; it does seem like Belinik is who Raenech worships (it would explain his penchant for impaling and crucifying peasants, after all!). It would also explain his overthrow of the previous king; might makes right. His lieutenant would also definitely be a follower, the text states that he wants to kill Moergan AND Raenech so he can rule. It's like someone transplanted Vosgaard politics and placed it in Moriel. Maybe the original priests of Belinik are the ones that invested Raenech.

What about Kriesha? The text says she's not openly worshipped outside of Vosgaard, but this isn't exactly open either. The Vos gods seem to be worshipped together; it mentions this in the Vos churches of the Five Peaks as well. Part of her portfolio is 'cruelty', which is definitely fitting of Raenech's treatment of the peasants. Also, she's LE, like Raenech.

Following what you said further, under Raenech's rule, this is the new 'official' faith of the nobles. Freedom from 'ethics' and 'noble war' to get down to what really matters: power. Perhaps not everyone knows about it yet, but followers are slowly being converted from another faith like mentioned above. The truth is going to be revealed after its too late and the church is firmly rooted. This could even be the start of a new holy war; I like it a lot.
    Last edited by Jerrith; 03-31-2007 at 06:17 PM.

Thread Information