Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Osoerde

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall
    I mis-read the family names ages ago like a few others. It seemed like a good way to explain the state faith not going ballistic over the impalings and crucifixions...

I see the Belinik faith as growing in both Osoerde and Ghoere, a more brutal alternative to Haelyn that is less likely to complain about the 'strong' ruler or the importance of law and tradition.
    Ah, you're thinking of the CSH, run by Wincae Raehech. The IHH is run by Hubaere Armiendin. I really like your idea about the alternative to Haelyn; it does seem like Belinik is who Raenech worships (it would explain his penchant for impaling and crucifying peasants, after all!). It would also explain his overthrow of the previous king; might makes right. His lieutenant would also definitely be a follower, the text states that he wants to kill Moergan AND Raenech so he can rule. It's like someone transplanted Vosgaard politics and placed it in Moriel. Maybe the original priests of Belinik are the ones that invested Raenech.

Following what you said further, under Raenech's rule, this is the new 'official' faith of the nobles. Freedom from 'ethics' and 'noble war' to get down to what really matters: power. Perhaps not everyone knows about it yet, but followers are slowly being converted from another faith like mentioned above. The truth is going to be revealed after its too late and the church is firmly rooted. This could even be the start of a new holy war; I like it a lot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whups. Yes CSH not IHH...

Interesting point on Kriesha. Although she may come later as the nobles learn to enjoy the use of power more...

But is it truly cruelty if that is all a peasant understands? Surely to leave the poor fools ignorant of their place in the world, lost in a mist of uncertainty without clear direction from their betters that would be the true cruelty?

I agree that most people nominally following Haelyn / Cuiraecen may not understand why their more pragmatic view of the world and clear approach to problem solving (kill/maim/slay rather than talk/talk/talk) is deemed so wrong by the priests of Haelyn/C - they can pretty the place up after they've fixed it after all...

It is also quite possible that most people relate to the named deities via various saints, etc and not directly. In which case the fact that they are following Belinik may be completely concealed from them - they are following the precepts of St. Anselm, Hammer of the Basarji, rather than some more 'traditional' saint. The fact that priests of Haelyn and Cuiraecen in the CSH don't venerate Anselm is simply politics

Thread Information