Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On my list of things to do is write an access database that will keep track of regents and domains using the BRCS rules. Unfortunately my list of things to do is rather large and growing. but as I get it into a working or semi working state I will release it on here.
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ausrick
    On my list of things to do is write an access database that will keep track of regents and domains using the BRCS rules. Unfortunately my list of things to do is rather large and growing. but as I get it into a working or semi working state I will release it on here.
    Sounds familiar...

On a couple of occasions I've even mapped out a DB and something of a web-flow for an app like the one I described, but have never quite managed to shake free the time needed to build it. That and I've no clue how to do anything with maps...

Downloads
    Uploads
    you get it working and i'll run the campaign or at www.callofthehorn.com

Deal?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, if I get this thing working (not so much if as when, which is a good question indeed, please don't hold your breath) I'll give it to everyone. Main reason I'm going to build it is because in the table-top campaign I'm running how much overhead I'm running into trying to run the domain actions. And I'm getting sloppy and making mistakes where income doesn't come out right or there is a temple (2) and a temple (3) in a province (4).

Also, sorry Swordhelm, I had no intention of hijacking your thread.
    Last edited by ausrick; 11-10-2005 at 09:31 PM.
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Hey, its no problem, a new program to help prospective DM's like myself is always good to hear. Now i just have to break out the whips and chains to get you guys on this faster

However, shameless plug, game still has openings, and is upto half my desired quota to start, keep on showing interest

Downloads
    Uploads

The "E" in ERD

Hey,

I just spent some time and put together a list of Entities or "Entity Sets" for the DB. Basically, an Entity is the object/noun that you want to keep track of in a Data Base and is what you are going to turn into tables when you actually build the thing. I'm going to list off what I've come up with so far. They're in no particular order and just the ramblings of a madman. Take a look at them and tell me what you think. If there is anything I've missed/anything you want to add/anything you don't think needs to be in there. I'm not sure how simple/detailed to go.

REALM
    HOLDING
    PROVINCE
    DOMAIN
    BLOODLINE
    REGENT
    TREASURY
    ARMY
    REGENCY
    INCOME
    EXPENSE
    COURT
    ASSETS
    VASSALAGE

I always run into trouble when I'm trying to differentiate between Entities and Attributes, so I hope I didn't list anything here that should be an attribute and not an entity or the other way around. (An example for non-coders, an Attribute describes an Entity, the reason Temple, Law,Guild, and Source were not listed here is because they are attributes of HOLDING, namely holding type.)

Anyways, this is the first brainstorming step so all of your ideas are welcome for what you would want to see. From the feedback I get to this, I will move on the the "R" and determin how all of these entities relate to each other.
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Rugor
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordhelm
    While i understand the time issues, i always liked pbems cause they were more relaxed pace. I didn't have to constantly try to find time to get together with a group of friends, and in a birthright setting, its near impossible to try and run a live game with more then 8 players, no matter how hard they try to work with the schedule. In a pbem you have several weeks to get everything in order, it allows for life to continue and not try to interfere with it. I always liked that, since i didn't want to be spending hours upon hours upon hours doing dispatches and turns on a weekly basis.

As for the setting in spelljammer, its not the setting, its the fact that its not Birthright published material. BR players i've noticed tend to shy away from anything thats new, and you can take examples from all the failed BR campaigns based on unique or different settings. The game i want to run doesn't even take that much reading to catch up. THe key info is all still based upon the city, its up to each individual player if they want to discover and learn more bout the rest of the universe of if they just want to keep it to their district, which is no different then most pbems. So as i said, its mostly because ppl don't want to put in the effort to try something new. If this was based in Aftane or Anuire, and it was sea going ships, no one would question it, even if there was 100 pages of backstory to read and a completely changed world(i am exaggerating mind you, but i think you all get the point).

Sadly, the rate of gaining players for this game is really low, and i had been hoping to aim for a managable amount of players. I think if i try a unique setting again, i will post it as a strategic D&D game instead of birthright, cause i don't think BR is a vibrant system anymore. Which sucks cause it was my favorate system. The base players as one person said are getting older and have less time to play. Thanks for appreciating the concept though, i am still hoping i can get this started, but interest is waning unfortunately :confused:

Thanks for looking in everyone so far. At least the idea is geting out there.

You have it right, the player amount needs to be kept under 10, the players have to be restricted to a certian area and not spread out over vast areas.

The players need to be able to speak freely IC in threads/posts to one another, and have an OOC section as well to resolve issues and clarify points.

To keep interests up, DMs have to be more like referee's and less like task masters and power-fiends. They have to keep NPC play in balance and in in-line with what those NPC's desires and personalities would really be like.

Players choices and decisions shouldn't be blown off, that will get them to quit quicker than anything... I've dealt with that more than once... I'll tell the DM I don't want to attack, or my units stay to defend... and the DM chooses to do his/her own things and ignore my decision because its convienent to what they want to accomplish.

That is probably the Biggest single reason why a PBeM succeeds or fails, the DM has to have the time to proccess turns quickly, and also treat all players fairly... a DM that gets on a power trip, or pushes the game in a direction the majority of players don't want to go... finds himself/herself without a PBeM.

I agree completely with you on almost all points. My biggest thing as a DM is to keep the game flowing and make sure the world keeps turning. BUt not to turn it off its axle, as it were. In the likely event this game doesn't get started, i will probably try a bit further down the road a Birthright campaign setting(Rjurik prefarbly if i can get the books for it). My big thing is alot of major realms are allowed to be played and that hurts the world. When Ghoere allies with Avanil, it changes the precious balance the game once had. Most major nations should represent constants in the world of Birthright, Avanil should be at odds with Boeruine, Ghoere should be at odds with both of them. And players sometimes need to be prodded into RPing the nation they take, Aftane shouldn't talk with Ariya nor should Diemed or Alamie simply allow their rebel states to get off scott free. While war isn't necesary, they shouldn't suddenly come to terms with years of strife and anger.

I also agree that players should be more focused, and again, if i end up doing a birthright campaign, limiting some of the major nations and distant ones(such as Mieres in Anuire or Suriene in Khinasi) will help the game flow a bit more.

However Dm's should not be pushed to rush things. Players need to understand that if a game is going to run smoothly, they have to be paitent. Life catches up to us and most of us have to work and do other things. I also think though that Dm's shouldn't leave silence in their wake. If you have to spend 4 weeks or more on a turn, don't leave the players nothing to do except mull over and worry bout what happens. GIve them tidbits of info on whats going on, open new threads of intrigue. Add rumors to the pages to throw off character thinknig. Just keep them involved until you can return the turns.

Thats my two cents for now anyways. Thanks for posting your comments.

PS, while i don't mind an occasiaonl hijacking of my thread, perhaps the talk of building a database should be started on a new one, since its gettting farther and farther from a pbem and closer and closer to developing game mechanics?

Im fairly certain that spreading players over an area will work.Thats how BR was designed anyway......to allow players to play pretty much all the regions.

Spreading players over an area will lead to the amount of characters that needs NPCing to increase. Which again leads to an increased burden on the GM, which may in the end cause burnout. I believe that one should start out in the small, for instance with one of the coasts. Around 15 domains playable, which means that you can run a game with 15 players and then as a GM you'd mostly have to focus on the NPCs outside of the chosen coast, and only when people interact with them, which isn't as frequent as interacting with regents in your own neighborhood.

Thread Information