Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

New Pbem idea, interested?

I am planning on running a new pbem in the very near future, but wish to know the level of interest in playing such a campaign. For awhile i had considered running another Brithright setting game, with the usual twists. However i had been toying with creating a new setting to make it alot more interesting.

The idea for the setting would be a much smaller scale game. Not in terms of players, but in terms of realms. The players would vie for success in a single port city. Instead of running small realsm, they would run small businesses, indivudal temples, inns, taverns or even ships. The players would then simply try to eek out an existence in this now budding port city. I have toyed alot with the idea of furthering the uniqueness to making the base setting for the game relative to Spelljammer. I had been a long time player of that setting, and found it one of the more fantastic ones around. And i think a recently settled city on some remote asteroid would be a wonderful setting to start letting loose the dogs of war. Players would try to do their best to out compete rivals, trade for better prices or even pirate their way to the top. Churches would strive to gain more followers and increase the expansion of their faiths. Wizards would delve into the mysteries of the new port and the surrounding area's. Local strong arm operations would keep the peace, or break it.

This is something i think alot of players would have fun as. Especially since it would allow many players to get more involved with their regents, and allow more roleplaying and realm ruling on a personal level. If interested, i will gladly offer more on here and am always wiling to hear opinions and answer questions. THanks for reading and i hope you find this idea intersting. swordhelm@gmail.com for any questions or comments if you don't want to ask them here
    Last edited by Swordhelm; 10-23-2005 at 06:53 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Blooded?

I have never played Spelljammer but good luck on your project. Are you planning to include a Birthright-like blooded aspect?

I am surprised that no-one has suggested a sci-fi angle to that, like abilities arising from the mutation of genes. If your parents had a lot of mutation abilities due to their mutated genes, then you are likely to share their genes, and likewise have a strong mutation strength. I am thinking this up of the top of my head, so I don't know how the mutation strength could be transferred to others, nor how the "regent" concept would work. Perhaps the regents would have a special link to the source of the mutation. But if you don't have the right genes, you don't have the mutations. Just like blooded and unblooded.

And yes, I realise that mutation is not an original thing to sci-fi, but if it works and keeps things simple..... use it. As long as you have a fun campaign as a result.

Sorontar
    Sorontar
    Information Communication ILLUMINATION!!

answer to blooded

Well to be honest i am probably going to push away fro mthe blooded aspect of birthright. While characters in the setting will probably be set apart from regular ones, divine blood aspects are something directly related to the birthright setting, and for the msot part, unnecesary in mine. Character's Regenecy and power will instead be based almost entirely upon their expierence and dvelopment. A Rogue who runs a shady underground business in the Slum district will have access to certain advantages that a Bureocrat in the Noble district would not, and vice versa. Add into that the levels of the varied characters and previous adventures/actions, and you'll get new regenecy points. Players who play it safe, while guaranteed probably to live longer, won't have access to many boons that characters willing to take risks will. So instead of bloodline strength, you'd have prestige/notoreity strength.

Mutation might be fun, though i'm holding off for the moment on anything too radical. As it is, the spelljammer setting allowed for numerous races that were often little more then boogie men on grounded settings, and if this takes off as a grounded setting due to lack of interest in spelljammer, then i will have plenty of options to keep the world new and unique in light of creatures and races to interact with. Though i love that idea for mutants, i will hold off making any gurantees on them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That would be fun. I've considered doing a BR campaign set in a Drow city, but I just haven't had the time to put it together yet...

Awesome, well if your interested, email me and we can start discussing a character idea. The same goes for anyone else who might be interested. swordhelm@gmail.com

Would love to work some character idea's out with prospective players. All idea's are welcome, though no guarnatee's if i'll let it slide(no half dragons/demons/agnels etc). Teiflings maybe, but we'll see, so ask away, so far have lots of views and not many posts, so hopefully ppl are just a bit shy bout writng

Swordhelm,

That sounds like an interesting combination of Birthright and Spelljammer, two campaign settings I have enjoyed running campaigns for (the little I have that is ). Depending upon how much commitment will be required, I might be interested in joining your pbem. I have been considering joining one for awhile, as my current schedule (graduate school and a family) doesn't really allow for me to join a more traditional gaming group.

Downloads
    Uploads

Drow Birthright

i actually developed a campaign that got shelved when my last Pc crashed. It was set in Menzoberranzan after the fall of House Do'Urden. ah those were the days.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread

Manty

no prob

I don't mind ppl bringing up new idea's on here. I'm glad other ppl have experimented with unique settings. I am wondering though why so few ppl seem interested in testing this in an online campaign? Not just this game mind you, but most BR campaigns that aren't in the books seem to fail rather fast(Heartlans was another one). I was hoping to find many of the players who i used to game with alot in older pbems intersetd, but so far not so much. If anyone has suggestions on how to reach more of the avid online gaming community for BR, please let me know

Thanks again for everyone reading so far, hopefully i'll upgrade on my current player list and be able to start the campaign soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is definitely a nice idea. By all means go through it.

I guess that interest in BR has declined during the last years. Not as many pbems as once where.
    Gods never die but they are always born

Downloads
    Uploads

Decline in PBeMs

I would assume that the decline in the number of PBeMs you see is likely because of the ageing of the "core" base of people who have been with BR since it came out (folks like myself.) Once those kids start showing up, less people have the time they need to run a good PBeM. While it's always good to see new blood joining the game, I would imagine that (due to the non-published and relatively obscure nature of BR) those that are taking a new interest in the game are fewer than those who are drifting away from it.

Thread Information