Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Completed NPC writeups for comment

Attached are 4 NPC writeups that have been completed for the Atlas project. If you have any constructive comments or corrections, then please reply in this thread.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Aeric Boeruine

Class and level is missing for Aeric Boeruine. Based on his HD it looks as if he's Noble 2/Fighter 10/Scion 1.
    Last edited by asoe; 10-06-2005 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Missing title

Downloads
    Uploads

Manslayer

I would think that Rov more than any other 2nd edition wizard should be converted to a sorcerer. It would make sense that his magical powers come from force of will rather than arcan study. thats my thoughts any way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Avan, Boeruine and Tael are are helplessly underequiped.
    I understand they are dukes and don't need to be killing machines himself, because of guards (1st level warriors anyway, Raesene Andu?)
    But why they don't have any regent usable equipement, Cloak of Charisma, Bag of Holding, Feather Token: Bird, Circlet of Persuasion, Figurines of Wondrous Power Silver Raven, they even don't have any potion. They are so poor?
    How can I respect a "powerful" ruler and celebrity NPC when he has an equipement like my 4th level fighter (shield+1, armor+1)?
    I feel syndrome of 3e FRCS Drizzt'do'Urden - target of jokes, pity & houserule upgrades of 99% fans.
    Last edited by Thomas_Percy; 10-07-2005 at 10:38 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I understand, magic item creation in Birthright is far more expensive and time consuming than in other settings. I'm not too sure if a magician can create magic items, and there aren't that many wizards/sorcerers around. I think it seems quite reasonable that even high level (9+) only have what you deem a 4th level fighter's equipment. Regents in general should IMO only possess one or two minor magic items and compared to that, the listed regents are very powerful indeed, not only in terms of being a strong character but also in terms of having some powerful items at hand.
    Then again, I'm fairly new to this setting, and might be wrong in my assumptions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey guys.

I am the one who wrote up the conversions for Aeric, Gavin and Darien.

They are all equipped with the gear that their NPC descriptions in the relevant source material had them equipped with. Magical items in Birthright are not as prevalent as they are in settings like the Forgotten Realms. There are just too few people with the power to create them.

Thanks,
    Jamie
    The Forge Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by asoe
    From what I understand, magic item creation in Birthright is far more expensive and time consuming than in other settings. I'm not too sure if a magician can create magic items, and there aren't that many wizards/sorcerers around. I think it seems quite reasonable that even high level (9+) only have what you deem a 4th level fighter's equipment. Regents in general should IMO only possess one or two minor magic items and compared to that, the listed regents are very powerful indeed, not only in terms of being a strong character but also in terms of having some powerful items at hand.
    Then again, I'm fairly new to this setting, and might be wrong in my assumptions.
    You're not wrong at all, asoe. The time and resources required to manufacture magical items in Cerilia make even a +1 longsword unique and historied, at least to the family that keeps it as an heirloom. Birthright is explicitly a low-magic campaign world.

Thomas_Percy: many of the items you list, such as feather token: bird and cloak of charisma, are not only well beyond the meager magicks of Cerilia but not really suited to Birthright. The few powerful casters with Craft skills would make items to serve a specific purpose (e.g. countering the powers of a particular awnshegh), not baubles for sale to the wealthy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by asoe
    magic item creation in Birthright is far more expensive and time consuming than in other settings.
    Where can I find this rules?

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Percy
    Pg. 152 onwards in the BRCS covers BR as a low magic campaign.

Also if you are unhappy with the current magical items (or stats) of any of the NPCs, then please post alternatives. The current listings only cover the known magical items listed in the original material and therefore to be included in this conversion.
    Last edited by Raesene Andu; 10-07-2005 at 10:09 PM.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Percy
    BRCS poll on the subject:

http://www.birthright.net/showthread.php?t=2654

BRCS chap 8 covers magic items in BR (pg 152+ in the BRCS-playtest) (see variant rule which will become the default rule in the revision based on the above poll)

2nd ed references:

Book of Magecraft pg 65 “Because true wizards are so rare in Cerilia, players and DMs should add 15-25% to XP and gp values of items listed in other products (such as the DMG and ENCYCLOPEDIA MAGICA volumes) when using them in a BIRTHRIGHT campaign.”

Book of Priestcraft pg 116+

Pg 126 gives a list of items that are suitable for use in Cerilia from the Tome of Magic (others are not recommended).

Book of Regency pg 99+

From pg 112:

"Not much magic exists in the BIRTHRIGHT world compared to some other game settings. However, what magic does exist can be powerful. A sword +1 or ring of protection +1 is a big deal in Cerilia, because they are so rare. However, every magic item needs a history and a story."

Duane Eggert

Thread Information