Quote Originally Posted by Archduke_of_Diemed
Archduchy(Archduke is the title for one of the 12 founding(original) realms of Anuire. Duke is probably the title given to a realm created after the first 12.
If that were the case, the other original duchies should also merit the title of archduke, which they apparently don't. Besides, it doesn't really make sense to have archdukes unless the title of duke is already well established. I'd say an archduke is either a duke closely related by blood to the Emperor, or the title is a post-Michael Roele invention, made up by the Boeruines to strengthen their claim to the Iron Throne.

More generally on the question of titles: With the disappearance of the central sovereign power - the Emperor - to confirm the ranks of nobility, I think the whole system took on a somewhat different function. For the regents of 551 MR, their ranks of nobility exist mostly as a diplomatic tool.

Basically, there's nothing that prevents any of the Anuirean regents from giving themselves whatever title they want, since at this point in time, they are essentially sovereign monarchs. However, by unilaterally assuming a title of higher rank, they send a very strong message to their peers, especially if it's something that breaks too much with historical precedent.

For instance, if Gavin Tael of Ghoere wanted to change his title from Baron to Duke, there's nothing that directly prevents him from doing so. The Imperial College of Heralds might complain about it, certainly, but there's no Emperor around to put him in his place. What he must consider, however, is the message he sends to his neighbours. Specifically, that would be something like: "I'm not content with my current level of power, and I'm using a very high-profile way of letting you know about it. What are you going to do about it?"

You could say that the basic difference is that while during the Empire a title was an indication of the amount of power a given noble had, in 551 MR it signals how much power he would like to have - and by extension, by using a lower title than his amount of power might otherwise enable/entitle him to, he can try to project an image of conciliation, or at least prevent a bad reputation from getting out of hand. Gavin Tael is probably not going to fool anybody in this manner, but if he did try to claim the title of duke, that might well be the last straw that would drive his neighbours to ally against him. By remaining a baron, he can at least try to prevent that.

A better example would be the regent Thaegas, who remains a count despite actually ruling what is supposed to be a full duchy. This is probably partly related to his vassalage to Avan, but I also it can be seen as a way of communicating his lack of desire for expansion.

Conversely, by claiming a higher title, a regent can present a diplomatic provocation to his peers, which they'll then have to react to one way or the other. If the regent successfully defends his right to use the title, that means a prestige gain for him and possibly a strengthening of his claim to the Iron Throne, if that's what he wants.

Or, using another interpretation, you could say that the only reason the regents of Anuire have to keep using those titles is to maintain the illusion that the Empire still exists, and that there will eventually be a new Emperor on the Iron Throne - one among them, of course. Although the Anuirean realms may be kingdoms in all but name, actually changing a duchy into a kingdom would remove it from the implied still-existing "Imperial framework". Obviously, that could considerably harm that regent's prospects for the Iron throne, but only as long as a sufficient number of people agree that the "Anuirean Empire" is still a meaningful and relevant concept.

Anyway, I'll stop now before this becomes too academic.