View Poll Results: What do you want from your Atlas?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guidebook Style

10 27.03%
  • Comprehensive Style

26 70.27%
  • Other (Please post to explain)

1 2.70%

Thread: Atlas Outlook

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Atlas Outlook

Getting back to work on the Atlas of Cerilia I need to nail down one thing before proceeding. Specifically would people prefer the Atlas to be a broad overview of Cerilia, touching briefly on each realm (1-3 pages/realm), or would you prefer a huge document that looks at each realm in detail (6-12 pages/realm).

Option 1 is for a Guidebook Style of the Atlas similar to the original material with each realm needing 1-3 pages. This would look similar to the Forgotten Realm Campaign Setting in terms to detail. Given that a lot of the material would be taken directly from the original books, this would be the quickest method.

Option 2 is for an expanded and comprehensive Atlas, with every realm taking up somewhere between 6-12 pages. This is what is currently being done, but obviously it will take much longer to complete.

Option 3 is for any other ideas on the style of the setting, please post below.

Note: If Option 1 is chosen, then the information created for the current realm descriptions will not be lost, it can be used in a series of Player's Secret type books that look at the realms in detail.
    Last edited by Raesene Andu; 08-20-2005 at 03:02 AM.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Atlas

I voted for the comprehensive version.

The reason is that I believe that working up all new write-ups at 3 pages a piece will take even more time, since so much work has already been done (over 200 pages the last I saw). The last I knew, the Southern Coast was pretty much done save for some incidental things and editing. I don't believe it wise to change our course in mid-stream and start again from scratch. I think that would delay things even further and would be an inefficient usage of time and resources. We've already done so much, why change now? I seriously doubt that shortening the drafts to 3 pages will decrease the amount of time it takes... especially since all the realm write-ups I've ever done have been written in only a few sessions over the course of a couple days (sometimes only one day, if I'm feeling particularly inspired)... and while much more detail can be conveyed in six pages rather than in three, the time differential between the two options is not that great really.

Basically... the short, guidebook option would start us again at square one, as if we had traveled back in time to January of 2003 when we started this project.

With some perserverence, we can finish the Atlas as it stands now and within a reasonable time-frame... I'm ready as ever to write more material for the Atlas now that you're looking to pick it up again.

In conclusion, I don't think the guidebook will save us that much time - it may even take longer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let's not forget that the atlas project has been running for several years now. To attempt for the comprehensive version might delay the release by many more years. Let's get the basics down, and then we can work on a more expanded version.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jew
    Let's not forget that the atlas project has been running for several years now. To attempt for the comprehensive version might delay the release by many more years. Let's get the basics down, and then we can work on a more expanded version.
    Actually, after discussing this exact point with Chris (fearless_leader) we both concluded that it would not take that much longer to do a comprehensive version of the Atlas than a shorter more basic version. The main reason is that about 40% of the realm descriptions for Anuire have already been written up in comprehensive form and to change to a different format would require those descriptions to be rewritten.

As it is, completing either format would require about 30-40 days of solid work by 1 person. At the moment I can spare about 1/2 a day a week, assuming I'm not busy elsewhere on that day, as I work 6 days a week.

The main reason that the Atlas hasn't been completed by now is that only two people have really worked on the project and both of us have RL commitments that prevent us from working on it from time to time.

I totally agree with those saying to do the large version, I would love the expanded information, and on the realms that have already been posted, it has been a wonderful aid.

btw, has anyone taken up charge of Imperial City or Mhoried?, now the reason I ask, is I have nearly everything originally posted for the Imperial City, and I wouldn't mind compiling it and filling in the blanks, but I don't do 3rd ed/d20, so anything that would require those rules I would have to have someone else help me with, so just let me know. That would assume of course that all that past info is acceptable to be used. (I especially love the college of sorcery info that was drawn up on how the tower got destroyed). Also, I am doing a cut and past from The Falcon and the Wolf pdf, of all the information on Mhoried that is in that book, I would be glad to post it here for use in the Atlas project as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok I voted for the Comprehensive Guide but I have one caveat to that. I think that the realms that are not for Player use can have less detail than the ones that are. This is sort of the path the 2nd edition was going on of having the players secrets books done up for all the realms that were player targeted. Plus it also allows for more DM perogative in the DM controlled realms.

However if there are already write ups for the non-player suggested realms we may as well include them.
    The Forge Administrator

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorogood Roele
    btw, has anyone taken up charge of Imperial City or Mhoried?, now the reason I ask, is I have nearly everything originally posted for the Imperial City, and I wouldn't mind compiling it and filling in the blanks, but I don't do 3rd ed/d20, so anything that would require those rules I would have to have someone else help me with, so just let me know. That would assume of course that all that past info is acceptable to be used. (I especially love the college of sorcery info that was drawn up on how the tower got destroyed). Also, I am doing a cut and past from The Falcon and the Wolf pdf, of all the information on Mhoried that is in that book, I would be glad to post it here for use in the Atlas project as well.
    Drafts information for Avanil, Boeruine, Ghoere, and the Imperial City has been completed. However, nothing has been done on Mhoried yet. I am happy with the current drafts for Avanil and Ghoere, but the Imperial City and Boeruine drafts need some more work. If you would like to assist, then please contact me and we can discuss what you can do.

One thing anyone can help out with is the chapter on Organisations (non-landed regents). There are a number of domains there that haven't been completed. I've done all the basic info for them, but they need fleshing out with a description.

Ok I voted for the Comprehensive Guide but I have one caveat to that. I think that the realms that are not for Player use can have less detail than the ones that are. This is sort of the path the 2nd edition was going on of having the players secrets books done up for all the realms that were player targeted. Plus it also allows for more DM perogative in the DM controlled realms.
    In ruins of Empire many of the NPC realms had larger descriptions that the commonly player controlled ones. You could also argue that the NPC realms should have larger description because with the player controlled ones much of the information for that realm is going to be created as a result of the PCs adventuring and ruling that realm.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have spare time again so I will start working on Talinie again.
    MORNINGSTAR

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a thought for consideration. Would releasing the realms individually be out of the question? Here is my reasoning. Most of the time a campaign revolves around only a handful of realms so individual files would be less of a download burden. Additionally we could release realms as they are done instead of waiting until the entire atlas is completed. That would help placate some of the audience that is dying for the atlas NOW to at least get some of the realms soon.

Just a thought. What does everyone else think of that?
    The Forge Administrator

Maybe it is just because I am sleep deprived right now, have been away forever on a wild, weird Forgotten Realms tangent because of the campaign I have been running for my group for the last year . . .

But if its the Atlas of Cerilia and 40% of Anuire is done already, doesn't that mean that most of Cerilia is not done? Of course I could be addled in thinking the rest was meant to be included in the document.

Anyway, all this rambling to say, I voted for other, meaning that Anuire could be examined in detail since it is mostly done, and the other regions can be more cursory coverage.

Thread Information