Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Skills in the Game

I noticed that there are many places throughout the books where a characters ranks in a skill seem to make a difference to outcomes of domain actions and battles. Here is my question with this. Why is it only ranks and not total bonus?

Don't the rulers’ natural abilities count for something?

Shouldn't a magical bonus to warcraft help in battle?

How about synergy bonuses to Lead from Diplomacy?

Is there a reason these aren't included in all the situations in the game? It seems strange to me that they were left out of the equations.

Thanks,
    Jamie
    The Forge Administrator

Downloads
    Uploads
    That was something that was talked about (and voted on I beleive) a while ago. When the ruling a domain chapter is revised the checks will be based on total mods (IIRC +1/5) to checks. This was reflected in the revised Ch 1 to be consistent.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool. That makes much more sense.
    The Forge Administrator

Downloads
    Uploads

Skill bonuses

I have a question about stacking.
    Master Diplomat [General]
    You are a master of diplomacy.
    Regions: Anuire, Brechtür, Khinasi
    Prerequisites: Diplomacy 9 ranks
    Benefits: You gain a +2 bonus to Diplomacy skill checks, and to all Diplomacy-based domain actions. These include Diplomacy, Create Trade Route, Contest Trade Route, and Create, Contest, and Rule Temple Holdings.
    Now let's say I am a rogue 8 with 11 ranks of Diplomacy and a stat modifier of +2, for a total of +13 in Diplomacy skill.

I take Master Diplomat, which makes my Diplomacy skill +15.

I want to contest a trade route. I get a bonus of (15/5) +2 (master diplomat) = +5 to my check.

The Master Diplomat feat seems to provide a double bonus.

First it gives me +2 to Diplomacy skill, which allows me to achieve a +3 bonus to the Contest action.

Then it provides a +2 to the Contest action, making it a total of +5.

That's a big increase! Was this intentional? It also happens for a lot of the other feats that provide both skill and action bonuses.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First of all the prerequisite of 9 ranks to take the feat makes the +2 to the skill check rather a small contributor.

The real intent was to provide the +2 to the domain level checks, the others were added on to make it more of a master level feel.

Basically even though the double contribution on the surface seems a little bit high, after the minimum rank prerequisite is factored in the net benefit at the domain level is the +2 to the checks - so I'd go with the +2 to the skill check (which contributes to the over bonus to the domain action) and then an additional +2 to the domain action check.

Let's see the +2 to the skill check itself only translates into a +2/5 (i.e., less than a +1) to the overall domain level bonus and since everything is rounded down, unless otherwise specified. . .
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads

Doubling up

OK, I just wanted to make sure that the doubling up procedure was intended. I agree that once you get to high enough ranks to warrant the feat, it doesn't really matter much anymore.

Downloads
    Uploads
    so how will the updates to the handling of skills affect the calculation for Chapter 5 key regent skills and regency collection? What will the new rules look like?
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Wait.Just to clarify stat bonuses are considered direct skill bonuses?

As in if i have +4 from cha its considered +4 to diplomacy skill,and hence adds to domain level actions?

Downloads
    Uploads

Stat bonuses

Question: sort of. If you have +4 to Cha, it adds to the ranks of Diplomacy you have. Take the total modifier for diplomacy / 5 (rounded down to whole number). This adds to the domain check as a bonus.

Ex: Rogue 4, 7 ranks diplomacy +3 wis bonus = 10 modifier for diplomacy skill. Diplomacy domain action receives a 10/5 = +2 bonus to success.

The skill listed next to the domain action name is the skill used to provide the bonus to the action. Certain skills (administration!) are used for a lot of the actions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And only if you personally oversee the action.
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information