Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adventure Action

Where can a table/chart be found that you use to roll for how successful an adventure is? If a character or Lt. go on an adventure, how do you determine how successful of an adventure it was? I could have sworn I saw a chart/table at one time but now I cannot find it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you asking about 2e or 3.x?

The PDF file for 3.0 pg 100 has an Event Resolution table for success of "Domain Events", not character actions. It mentions Character Actions, but does not give any determination for success. The goal of the Adventure action seems geared toward resolving with an actual DM adventure given to the specific player for role playing. Success determined the old fashioned way.:-)

2e (don't have the book to hand to look up the page number) has gold bar/RP counts as well as a roll on a d20 to determine the success or failure (typically 12 or better unmodified by RP/GB application).

Does that help?
    d'estre bons et leaulx amis et vrais ensemble et de servir l'un 'autre envers et contre tous

Downloads
    Uploads
    What we probably want for the action is a table for low-medium-high-extreme risk type adventures, and a series of outcomes. The benefits being xp, gold, province morale/action bonus, etc and the risks being loss of equipment, fatalities, some major incident, etc. I'll have a think about sketching something and ask for feedback.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, I've had a stab at something (attached).

Inevitably there isn't much detail as the adventure purpose will vary hugely. I figured that it would be better to set an 'adventure level' as the target - meaning an adventure appropriate for a NPC of their level, etc to go on with a reasonable chance of success, with the corollary that a low level PC going on a high level adventure will struggle and vice versa.

The resources (be they gold, Regency, Magic items) necessary to modify the success chance were left vague as they depend heavily on the adventure level - sufficient gold/etc to modify the chance of success on a plane-trip or similar epic adventure dwarf those needed to clear out the local goblin raiding party. Tables could be made for each adventure level but it would be a fair amount of effort.

The outcome are tilted towards positive outcomes as the adventure has an inherent cost of an action, so a 'normal' outcome is positive.

Thoughts?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks pretty reasonable for a fast resolution system

Downloads
    Uploads
    sufficient gold/etc to modify the chance of success on a plane-trip or similar epic adventure dwarf those needed to clear out the local goblin raiding party.
    With enough gold you can avoid flying on Air Harpy and can instead choose the Luft Hansa from Rohrmarch, and travel using modern mechanical devices.

Oh, you meant different types of plane-trips.

Sorontar

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Now, this looks interesting. Thanks, Andrew!

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I tried to think of what I use adventure actions for - basically as a PBeM tool I'd want a looey to level up, assist in an action - I should probably have put in a 'get something neat' column.

I'm wondering if the steps are right though, I'd expect to be able to compensate for a level gap by chucking in resources - although the fumble result would probably be harsher, but I'm not really sure what sort of level of resources is appropriate - or if it would always be a 'wing it' sort of deal.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Andrew - as always some useful stuff. I've been playing around with something along these lines and will see if your ideas and mine can be combined.
    Call me Bob.
    My website: NRGGames.org
    My game design blog: Bob's Worlds

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd remove helping out the action with military units and RP, mostly because those are realm assets and if those can solve the problem, you don't need to go adventuring!

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Thread Information