Downloads
    Uploads

Kickstarter and OOTS

Apologies for a non-BR post, but hopefully it is of some interest. For fans of the Order of the Stick, or just those interested in the power of D&D geekdom, take a look at:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-reprint-drive

To say that Rich Burlew, the author of the webcomic has smashed his own expectations of how much money he could raise to fund reprints would be to grossly under-state matters. I have clients with substantial industrial / commercial businesses who would be envious of how much he's raised.

I hadn't heard of kickstarter before looking it up over this, if some-day we are allowed to re-print any of the BR books, kickstarter could be a way of fund-raising we should consider.
    Last edited by AndrewTall; 02-19-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Kickstarter and OOTS [9#27514]

At 02:03 PM 2/19/2012, AndrewTall wrote:

>I hadn`t heard of kickstarter before looking it up over this, if
    >some-day we are allowed to re-print any of the BR books, kickstarter
    >could be a way of fund-raising to avoid risk of printing losses.

That is an awful interesting possibility.... Granted, I don`t think
    an effort to republish BR would have the same appeal, but neither
    does it need quite as much success. I can`t help but wonder if that
    kickstarter system might be a way of not only re-releasing the 2e BR
    materials, but of getting updates into print. Very interesting.

Gary

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a backer of the OotS reprint, and I follow Kickstarter projects quite often as it's used a lot by indie game studios. Lately, I have seen quite a few RPG companies moving their new books to Kickstarter, which is a great idea: they can put a book up to see if they gather interest, Quickstarter works as a pre-order system, but they do not have to commit to the book as real pre-orders,...

Basically they can manage to avoid writing/printing/shipping/storing anything that makes them lose money, which is great for their long term success There are quite a lot of boardgame projects too on Kickstarter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never understood why they didn't make their out of print items available for order and print them according to each order. I mean if they are losing money, they can rely on all the old content they have. Each new edition would likely gather new customers. I myself would like multiple copies of items even if I have a lot on pdf. I lost a few good books and magazines to a flood this last spring and the prices people are trying to sell them at online are ridiculous. Whatever starts this I'd like to support it, however I think the corporate WotC will simply hoard their material and let it rot on the OOP copyright stand.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Print on Demand it's quite a different subject Kickstarter it's usually used to fund new projects, so you can even avoid the expenses of writers, artists, layout,... if you see the product doesn't gather enough fan support for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow. $1,254,120 - that's a lot of reprints of OOTS.

Well, if WOTC ever indicates willingness, a low-risk printing solution of some sort should be possible if we have enough fans.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For reprints something like Lulu or something like RPGnow PoD would work pretty well, I think the main problem are the terrible scans of the old 2e books. And remaking them in a good PDF would be pretty expensive

Thread Information