Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tragic heroes, tragic villains

Most of the awnsheghlien I got attached to are tragedies, first and foremost.

The Spider and Rhuobhe basically became corrupted while fighting against those weird otter-eared people from across the sea who understood sharing the forests of Anuire as "gimme"

The Banshegh is an accident of birth and strictly speaking is barely even aware of what she is, or at least deeply in denial. She exemplifies the cursedness of it a lot deeper than most.

It's an interesting contrast to the top shelf human awnsheghlien being people who had everything and still needed to grasp more.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Romes View Post
    I´m a bit late to answer to your post, but I just read that the Spider can´t be reasoned with and I disagree here. The Spider once was a brilliant goblin warlord named Tal-Quazar and part of that is still in him (just like part of Raesene is still within the Gorgon) despite the Spider and Azrais blood taking more and more of his original mind from him.

The novel "The Spider´s Test" in which the founder of Endier, Richard Endier "negotiates" with the Spider in person to be allowed to settle Endier (a province former part of the Spiderfell, which is claimed by Diemed too) showed that.
    It depends on when. In Blood Enemies he is described as the least sane creature in Anuire (or was it Cerilia?). Further the interview was given 200 years ago, "before its mind was lost". In current time, it sounds as though there is simply no talking to him at all- he just acts on whims.

In The Spider's Test which occurs hundreds of years ago, the beast is portrayed as quite fickle. He could be reasoned with only on short timescales. (And of course Richard uses his madness against the Spider in the end.)

-Fizz
    Last edited by Fizz; 06-13-2021 at 06:45 PM.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My favourite awnshegh varies, but lately i've quite liked The Magian. He's so mysterious, both in origin and intent, and his genius and nature just make him exceptionally dangerous.

On the opposite end, the Boar is just fun. You might able to stop it for a time, but you can never kill it. Heh.

-Fizz

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FhieleLlyrandor View Post
    Indeed, they are some of the most interesting. Among that lot, i particularly like The Manticore. A noble person brought down by the evil bloodline, an yet he continues to fight against and reclaim his nation.

-Fizz

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FhieleLlyrandor View Post

The Spider and Rhuobhe basically became corrupted while fighting against those weird otter-eared people from across the sea who understood sharing the forests of Anuire as "gimme"

The Banshegh is an accident of birth and strictly speaking is barely even aware of what she is, or at least deeply in denial. She exemplifies the cursedness of it a lot deeper than most.

It's an interesting contrast to the top shelf human awnsheghlien being people who had everything and still needed to grasp more.
    The spider is much more interesting/usable if he can be reasoned with at least some of the time, and much less dangerous/more more vulnerable to misdirection if he has major periods of the wrath of the awnsheghlien. The Siren, Harpy and Manticore also make for good tragedies as well I note.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    The spider is much more interesting/usable if he can be reasoned with at least some of the time, and much less dangerous/more more vulnerable to misdirection if he has major periods of the wrath of the awnsheghlien. The Siren, Harpy and Manticore also make for good tragedies as well I note.
    The Siren is my fave for Rjurik, by far, so yeah she definitely counts, she tries so hard too (I don't remember the backstory for the Manticore and I forget of the more beastly ones were actually people before being cursed)

Also Tal'quazar becoming lucid again is something that should rightly terrify most princes of the heartlands.

Thread Information