General Question and first post!

Hello everyone,

I hope you folks can help me. I've been running a AD&D 2E Birthright game for some time now and one of my players recently posed a question that in all the years I've been DM'ing this game has never came up.

What happens if a magician gets a bloodline?

My first thought would be to just make him a wizard at the same level, etc.

I'm curious to hear what you all think.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is up to him. His PC would have a better feel for the flow of magic/Mebhaighl. He would now have other spells available to him. However, if he wishes to remain focused on his skills as a magician, let him. Otherwise, yes, I would let him convert to a mage of the same level, but must inherit all the spells that he has already learnt (and thus, they will count towards his quotas as a mage).

This normally comes up when people are discussing the history of Rogr Aglondier, as he was a magician who became a mage. However, he is also an NPC, so he can be an exception to any rules. The following is
    what is said on the wiki:
    First two levels of Rogr Aglondier are considered to have been in Magician class because he was unblooded. Hit points and skill points for the first two levels have been calculated using the Magician class. On becoming Blooded, Rogr has lost all Magician class features and received Wizard class features from the first two levels, except the Scribe Scroll feat. Players playing Rogr Aglondier should select spells from their first two levels from the list of Magician spells, but they should avoid spells that Wizards cannot cast as Rogr was not in position to learn them from his late master.
    Sorontar
    Last edited by Sorontar; 01-27-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well first off, welcome to the boards.

As for the magician gaining a bloodline, I've always thought they would stay an magician. Just with a bloodline. They could then multi-class into a wizard (or if you wanted to be kind have them slowly trade in levels of one for the other <like 1 per domain turn>). I do recall seeing more than one NPC who was a magician with a bloodline. (Mostly in Khinasi lands I think)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wasn't Rogr Aglondier (in 2ed edition) only a second level wizard? To me that showed that he had to start over completely.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Retillin View Post
    Wasn't Rogr Aglondier (in 2ed edition) only a second level wizard? To me that showed that he had to start over completely.
    IIRC in PS of Ilien he was a 4th level wizard (2nd edition rules).
    ...Michael Roele's spirit will cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war...

Ahh, Aglondier. That's right. I had forgotten about him. It's been a very long time since I read anything concerning him, as my campaign of the last five years has been focused around the Great Bay with the occasional jaunt into The Shadow World or other parts of Cerilia.

Since he's the only PC who doesn't have a bloodline after recent events, I guess I'll come up with a scheme to get him a bloodline and he and I can work out the details. Knowing him, he'll probably stay as an Illusionist since he's very creative with his spell usage.

Thanks for the advice and thank you Retillin for your welcome. By the way, we're neighbors of sorts. I'm way over on the Lake Huron shoreline. Nice to see someone from Michigan on here.

Thread Information