Downloads
    Uploads

Question Usurpation questions

OK I have some new questions from the Usurpation section of Chapter 2 - Blood and Regency.

In most of the areas of the document it states that:

"A scion’s bloodline score can be permanently increased by one point by spending a number of RP equal to the character’s target bloodline score, i.e., his current bloodline score plus one."

However in the Usurpation section it states:

"None of this regency is stored; it is immediately used to raise the new scion's bloodline score at the standard cost (twice the current bloodline score) up to a maximum of one less than the victim."

Which method is the intended method? One more than the current score or double the current score? Or is raising it for usurpation by a non-blooded character just a different cost.

Thanks
    The Forge Administrator

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One more than the current score is the correct method.

The section on usurption needs correcting it would seem.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Which part of the section (paragraph) are you reading this from? (So I know what to fix if it needs it).

Under normal usupation (not bloodtheft) a regent can absorb up to twice his bloodline score - which will raise his score by 1 (at the rate of his present score +1 (i.e., the target score)). Take the RP pool and subtract the new score that will leave him with 1 less than the number necessary to raise it again. Hence only 1 raise per occurance - except for bloodtheft where it keeps on going. Note that the max pool can not be raised so any extra (what was in his pool to start with plus the amount gained is lost). So a scion with a 14 score with a pool of 6 absorbs 28 at a burst (he has now reached his max pool of 28, 28 + 6 but the extra 6 are wasted) = raise his score by to 15 and subtract 15 from 28 - which leaves 13. He needs 16 to raise it again.
    Duane Eggert

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, page 11, the last paragraph on the left hand side. (2nd paragraph of the becoming blooded through usurption section). I've included the sentance with the error below.

None of this regency is stored; it is immediately used to raise the new scion's bloodline score at the standard cost (twice the current bloodline score) up to a maximum of one less than the victim.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got it – its under “becoming blooded through usurpation”. The example is incorrect also. The numbers don’t add up correctly (used the previous bloodline score vice the target one for calculations).

Corrected text should be:

Becoming blooded through usurpation

Non-blooded creatures exposed to divine energies released during usurpation may spontaneously become blooded. This occurred on a massive scale at Deismaar and transformed its heroes into the first scions. If a non-blooded character absorbs RP from a source whose derivation agrees with their basic nature, they may become blooded.

The non-blooded character must make a character level check (d20 + character level) against a DC of 20 (15 if the derivation is Azrai). If successful, the character becomes blooded and gains a bloodline ability score of 5 or one half of the bloodline strength of the victim whichever is lower, with the bloodline strength and derivation of the victim. Newly created scions are not subject to a maximum regency collection – they absorb all available regency in their share of the burst. None of this regency is stored; it is immediately used to raise the new scion's bloodline score at the standard cost (one plus the current bloodline score) up to a maximum of one less than the victim. This process is repeated until all RP are spent (the remainder are discarded).

For example, a scion of Anduiras (major, 16) is slain by a blow through the heart by a non-blooded character. A burst of divine energy with an intensity of 80 RP is released and absorbed in its entirety by the slayer. The non-blooded slayer makes a character level check against DC 20. If the check fails, the 80 RP are forever gone (the RP are not absorbed by the non-blooded character, but instead pass through him and into the land with no permanent effect to character). If the check succeeds, the slayer becomes a scion with a bloodline of Anduiras (major, 12). The bloodline score was calculated as follows. The scion gains a starting score of 5. The absorbed regency increases this total by +5; from 5 to 6 (11 RP spent, 69 remaining), from 6 to 7 (18 RP spent, 62 remaining), from 7 to 8 (26 RP spent, 54 remaining), from 8 to 9 (35 RP spent, 45 remaining), from 9 to 10 (45 RP spent, 35 remaining), from 10 to 11 (56 RP spent, 24 remaining, from 11 to 12 (68 RP spent, 12 remaining). The remaining 12 RP are discarded, and the newly created scion starts with a regency reserve of 0 RP. The newly created scion also has a major bloodline and is eligible to gain a single level of the Anduiras scion class.

I'll put it into my "working" copy.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys.

If I spot any more things I will put them up.
    The Forge Administrator

Thread Information