Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I always interpreted that as the edge of the permanent glaciers, not as the coastline.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I dunno...I used to think so too, but then I did some work on an expanded province map including areas beyond Cerilia, and then I started thinking that it looked more like a northern shoreline, covered in ice than the extent of the ice sheet.

Which I personally do not think I like - I'd like for Thaele to be more than just an island.

I just wanted to point it out. There is certainly room for several interpretations.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would think that if it where the edge of an icesheet on top of the sea, it would not be marked so definately on the map. It would fluktuate greatly. Compare arktis in the north, with packing shifting greatly, with Antarktica to the south, wich have firm coastlines, and even the Glaciers ending in the water is (resonably) stable.

But I guess, that as everything else is just about the GM´s opinion in every single game

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In my head (because no PCs have ever travelled far enough north to find out), Thaele features abandoned dwarven strongholds, and might be the ancestral homeland of the dwarves, before they migrated to Cerilia.

Why are they abandoned? Prosaically, glaciation, but it might be more interesting if the answer is undead, furry evil badger trolls, or demons.

I also like the idea of walrus men, there should definitely be walrus men in Thaele.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMcSorley View Post
    I also like the idea of walrus men, there should definitely be walrus men in Thaele.
    Might give you an excuse to clean-up and improve my idea of the Walrus awnie.

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads

Thaele- What we know and what we might guess [9#27442]

There was a race of walrusmen that appeared in the Dragonlance
    setting called Thanoi. I found stats at:

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/thanoi.php

BR features several locations where there is a tribal/clan sized
    group of a particular race. Sahuagin, the Thale, lizardmen, etc. A
    large (200+) enclave of walrusmen might be an interesting inclusion for Thaele.

G

Downloads
    Uploads
    Selkies - or another type of seal-person, are another possibility as Seals are found in cold waters although I struggle to see how you could get a civilisation of them farming. If you are looking at aquatic holdings I always had a thing for the octopi people, I think they were in forgotten realms though.

I wonder though, we don't have anything on the other side of Cerilia, but a cunning plan could be to use the winter ice sheet to invade via the north pole

Badger trolls sound interesting, although wolverine's might be the better member of the weasel family given the chilly weather.

I wonder though, presumably we have northern lights, 24-hour nights in winter and 24-hour days in summer - in a fantasy world you could extrapolate that into an interesting summer/winter spirit world / shadow world kind of thing - in summer the land is fey, in winter undead and demons scour the snows, to allow for the existing colonies you'd either need a defense, a multi-year cycle, or ye olde portal to ancient evils to be broken.

Thread Information