Threaded View

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads

Modifiers in Birthright

Another question for the BR sages related again to the computer tool I´m doing to help managing Birthright games.

This time is about modifiers: things that change the value of something. For example, a modifier could be the Maximum Source Level of a Province if the Province is Elven, it´s not modified by the Population level.

My idea was to express that along this way (this is a string of characters):

"Province.SourceLevel = Province.Terrain.SourceLevel"

This would set the Source level always to be the same as the value indicated by the terrain. Another example could be saying that Dwarves have +1 Maximum Population in Mountains.

"Province.MaximumPopulation += 1 IF Province.Terrain.Name = "Mountain"

(the string representation is not important for the question, just an example)

So, I have an idea on how to handle those modifiers, which are pretty simple, and they give flexibility as they allow GMs to define their own Races, Classes, Blood Powers,...

But my problem comes if there are crazier modifiers in Birthright. For example: a Spell that reduces the income of a province by 2 if your temple level is higher than double the temple level of an evil deity. That's super hard to manage as it involves a Province (income), two or more different Temple Holdings, the Alignment of Deities,...

My example was artificial, but thinking about BR rules I can only come with simple modifiers. But maybe there are some obvious crazy ones that I am missing. And that's where I need help, if you can tell me of some of those crazy modifiers I'm missing (either in the official rules, or in Pbem or local games you have played).

I know ideally a tool should allow any type of crazy modifier, but sadly that's nearly impossible to handle (at least for me and my knowledge), so I need to know what is the hardest case I have to manage because that may influence my implementation a lot (if I only have to handle simple cases I can place some restrictions or make some assumptions that don't work if there are harder ones).
    Last edited by Vicente; 11-16-2011 at 02:20 AM.

Thread Information