Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey, I have a question for all of your imaginations and input.

I'm trying to get my mind around the differences between Brechtur and Anuire from a military standpoint. I think I remember from the box set equipment lists that the Brecht don't have horses, but I also think I remember seeing somewhere that they have cavalry units? I know that Anuire is known for their pikemen, longbowman, and knights, and that evidently Brechtur has none of those three? I also remember that I believe Brechtur has heavy armor, but nothing heavier than half-plate while anuire has full-plate?

Assuming these things, I am wondering what a conflict between these two cultures would look like on the battlefield.

What strategies and armament would the Brecht use against Anuire? How would their differing ideologies effect this? What type of units would the Brecht favor? What would a massive battle between the two be like? How would their strategies/strengths/weaknesses effect and interact with each other on and off the field?

Thanks everyone and I look forward to hearing what you all would imagine.

Ausrick
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 11:56 PM 5/31/2005 +0200, ausrick wrote:

>I think I remember from the box set equipment lists that the Brecht don`t

>have horses, but I also think I remember seeing somewhere that they have

>cavalry units?

They have horses as well as units of heavily armored cavalry

(knights.) The Brecht just don`t emphasize them in their culture having

more of an emphasis on seapower.

>I am wondering what a conflict between these two cultures would look like

>on the battlefield. What strategies and armament would the Brecht use

>against Anuire? How would their differing ideologies effect this? What

>type of units would the Brecht favor? What would a massive battle between

>the two be like? How would their strategies/strengths/weaknesses effect

>and interact with each other on and off the field?

Given the Brecht emphasis on seapower a conflict between Anuireans and

Brecht would probably emphasize defensive land tactics by the Brecht while

using their navies to strike at unprotected or otherwise high value coastal

targets in an attempt to win a war of attrition. Anuirean strategy would

be the reverse: attack the ports and choke points of the Brecht naval

strength in order to deny them their naval power.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    As the Brecht are known for their preference for individual combat and hot-headedness vs. the Anuireans' strong discipline, developed strategies, and fairly diverse and complimentary troop types, well...there's a reason the Anuireans conquered the Brechts without too much difficulty. A lot like the Romans against the Celts and other western 'barbarians.' The Brechts might be excellent as duellists and skirmishers, and good at sea, too, but in open field battles Anuireans would tend to mop them up handily most of the time.

However, terrain is a major factor in Brechtur - on land there's very little open terrain in the first place, so light units in mountains, hills, and forests might favor the light Brecht troops...in a realistic setting, that is. A battlesystem may or may not do a good job of portraying this advantage, but historically it could also be something like Scottish Highlanders against the English...on home ground, using hit-and-run guerilla tactics, the Brecht could simply avoid the whole open-field battle altogether, and simply make occupation an unpleasant and unprofitable venture - which seems like a very Brecht sort of strategic reasoning IMO.

Osprey

Thread Information