Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elephants

Downloads
    Uploads
    Benjamin writes:

>> Isn`t there a camel in the watercolor background of the CotS text?

>

> If there is, I don`t see it anywhere. I just did a quick look

> through without success. But it was quick...

I`ll take a look when I get home tonight. I could just be having an opium

flashback from my study abroad trip to Egypt a few years back....

Gary

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Having been attached to Aduria until the very recent past (from an evolutionary POV) Cerilia likely has a similar kind of flora and fauna as that continent. The climate is, of course, different and the bridge between the areas is pretty slim, but if there are elephants in Aduria they would probably also exist in Cerilia "naturally" (or as naturally as such things can be in a fantasy setting.)
    Then why didn't human already exist in Cerilia? It travel between the two continents was easy enough to allow elephants to walk across to Cerilia, then surely humans would have followed. But humans didn't arrive in Cerilia until they were forced out of Aduria. Given how far the human race spread across the earth in ancient times before such things as ocean going vessels and airplanes, then there must have been something blocking their way.

I`d agree... but it`d hardly be the most glaring design oversight in the original texts.... There`s also not really a whole heck of a lot of exploration of the desert regions of the setting (we have more info on tundra) so it could easily be something that slipped through the cracks.
    There aren't any true desert regions in Cerilia. The Khinasi lands are more arid plains rather than desert.

Isn`t there a camel in the watercolor background of the CotS text?
    I can't see one. There are several horse, a barrow full of pumpkins, a skeletal horse, a Dhoura, but no camel that I can see.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm using Al-Qadim accessories at Brt, so elephants and camels are common at my campaign.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Raesene Andu@May 27 2005, 10:20 PM
    I`d agree... but it`d hardly be the most glaring design oversight in the original texts....* There`s also not really a whole heck of a lot of exploration of the desert regions of the setting (we have more info on tundra) so it could easily be something that slipped through the cracks.
    There aren't any true desert regions in Cerilia. The Khinasi lands are more arid plains rather than desert.

Ian, you beat me to it.

For those who want to know where this is from check the lost files of Rich Baker in the pinned sections above. He talks about climate and deserts in Khinasi specifically.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Cesari@May 28 2005, 12:13 AM
    Cannons would freak out elephants (especially firing from their backs!). Panicking elephants are real bad for everyone involved
    Cast Deafness on the elephants first to keep the noise from being a problem. You've gotta have elephant cannon shock troops. It'd be just like that cartoon Dino Riders! Best Game Ever. :D
    Cast Deafness to get around cannons firing! Ever stood beside one when it's gone off? The vibration and (especially for the early cannon), the smell should be enough for panic.
    I don't recall if historically elephants were ever used with cannon (given their extreemly esnsitive ears), but they make great archery platforms, easily negating cavalry, the traditional foil for archer units.
    On cavalry - given the rarity of black powder in most BR campaigns, the best use of cannon (and here preferably the light, 2 person transportable ones) would be to fire them just as the cavalry charge is about to hit. From memory the noise and smell was enough to panic any animal (horse, or elephant) not used to it - and given the rarity, very few animal units should be used to it.

In answer to the original question, I do use both elephants and camel in my campaign, but both are rare and only really available in central Khinasi. The elephants are not used in combat units, but are more a curiosity (or problem) to be encountered in an adventure action).

Regards,
    Doyle

Thread Information