Thread: 3/4 Elves

Downloads
    Uploads
    What type of creature results from the union of elves and half-elves?
    Last I recall, in 2nd edition elvenness was defined by the 'one-drop' rule, meaning an elf with ANY human ancestors was automatically a half-elf. Cerilian elves are of course somewhat different from the generic elves and so might follow different genealogical rules. Which raises another question: as Cerilian elves are immortal and not just very long-lived, do their half-human children age as fast as generic hybrids?

Finally, several realms in Anuire are ruled by half-elves: Brosengae, Endier, Tuornen, Dhoesone. The setting makes a point of emphasizing the distrust between elves and humans (particularly the expansionist Anuireans) and the prejudice half-elves face, but this doesn't seem to be much of an issue for half-breed regents. How much of an obstacle to Kingship should their heritage be? (particularly Dhoesone, some of whose subjects have lost family members to the resurgent Gheallie Sidhe)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the usual answer is GM's choice / as it fits the story line. If half elf blood is watered down further by breeding with humans, then the offspring will be (after a generation or two) human for all intents and purposes. Several generations down the track, a 'genetic throwback' will produce a full half elf. the same should work in reverse. After generations of elf babies, one may be born with more rounded features.

As to how there are so many half-elf regents; as a child, the half elf will have had to struggle aginst prejudice and hatred from all around. Such an atmosphere will create someone who reflects this hatred back to every one or an extremly capable diplomat. - If you are struggling everyday, the struggles of rulership might not seem that much more difficult.
    Doyle

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well many of the regents you mention are in a constant struggle for control of their realms. Flaertes and Dhoesone barely control their own countries, and being 1/2 elven doesn't help matters. Brosengae has the backing of Darien Avan, so while the Duchess's ancestry might be the topic of hushed insults, few people are going to openly mock a vassal of the prince of Avanil. But still, she has a weak power base, so many more people might let prejudice guide their decisions than they otherwise would. Kalien, on the other hand, is ridiculously wealthy and has the economies of several realms tied in with his. People might not like that he has elven blood (and is a foreigner to boot), but all the gold tends to make up for that.

What it boils down to in the end, though is that there is a difference between how people treat a 1/2 elf with power, and how they treat one without. Kalien seized power in a stagnant and weak realm and turned it into an economic juggernaut. He has power, and his abilities demand respect. Tuornen, Brosengae and Dhoesone have little power, but do have heredity (an important concept in Anuire), and while they are weak compared to other regents, they are still regents and have influence and resources as a result. So while people might distrust them and look down on them for their heritage, politics make it a different sort of situation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dhoesone`s 1/2elven ruler has the benefit(?) of also being directly

related to the neighboring elven realm-- her presence on the throne may be seen as

a guarantee that the elves won`t attack them, and will rein in the ghaillie

sidhe. IMC, she also stood for a military alliance with Tuarhievel, against

both the Gorgon and the Rjurik. I`ve postulated that Tuarhievel may be quietly

working to put friendly half-elven rulers on or near the thrones of its

neighbors, in order to have more allies against the Gorgon.

Brosengae`s and Tuornen`s half-elven-ness is more interesting, in that

the nearest elven realm/source of elven blood is the rather hostile Rhuobhe.

Were their parents adventuresome elves from elsewhere?

Lee.

Lee.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Flaertes's mother was from Tuarhevial I believe. Don't have the player's secrets in front of me right now, though. Braedonnal helps the tuor attitude towards 1/2 elves a bit though since he's been there for so long and REALLY hates Rhoubhe. Gives the people an elf they can actually cheer for.

I can see Tuarhevial trying to set up friendly rulers nearby, but if that's the plan they've been doing pretty badly thus far. Dhoesone is almost a liability, really. They don't really have to worry about the border, true, but they end up supporting Dhoesone militarily, and Dhoesone is too unstable to really offer anything back. Plus Dhoesone now has influence in Tuarhevial. While tthe 1/2 elf relative that's Baroness now is friendly, her decendants (most likely from a human father, politics being what they are), could be very strained.

On the original topic of half-elves in general, I've always liked the idea of bumping up their lifespan a bit. Half elves in normal D&D don't really live all that much longer than humans, and in Cerilia elves are immortal instead of just really long lived. I'd have Half elves live to about 200 or so, instead of the (I think) 120-150 they're at now. Don't have the book riht now, though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a somewhat variable attitude toward half-elven longevity: if they lieve most of the time in fairly rural, mebhaighal-friendly areas, they end up with lifespans similar to PHB elves. If they live in source 0 urban areas, they have only human lifespans. Among the elven kingdoms, they're as immortal as full-blooded Sidhelien. In other words, a half-elf's human vs. elven nature depends upon how elven a lifestyle it's living.

Of couse, IMC, true elves also enjoy immortality only so long as they live within pure-nature, mebhaighal-rich areas (i.e., the elven kingdoms). Outside the borders, their longevity wains. They cannot live in human cities or blighted areas at all, as they will sicken and die quickly, cut off from the mebhaighal that is their lifesblood. Those are the elves of my Cerilia.

Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Osprey@May 30 2005, 03:39 PM
    I have a somewhat variable attitude toward half-elven longevity: if they lieve most of the time in fairly rural, mebhaighal-friendly areas, they end up with lifespans similar to PHB elves. If they live in source 0 urban areas, they have only human lifespans. Among the elven kingdoms, they're as immortal as full-blooded Sidhelien. In other words, a half-elf's human vs. elven nature depends upon how elven a lifestyle it's living.

Of couse, IMC, true elves also enjoy immortality only so long as they live within pure-nature, mebhaighal-rich areas (i.e., the elven kingdoms). Outside the borders, their longevity wains. They cannot live in human cities or blighted areas at all, as they will sicken and die quickly, cut off from the mebhaighal that is their lifesblood. Those are the elves of my Cerilia.

Osprey
    Interesting, basically a step more in detail than what is is BoR and how the elves came from the Sie, etc.
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information