Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Info on Aerenwe

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi, I'm going to be starting a campaign in Aerenwe in about a month, and the way I like to run games is more of the "status quo" method where I have a world pretty much already in motion and the PC's are free to roam wherever and pay the consequences or reap the rewards of their actions. I already have oodles of information on the surrounding realms, but the only info I have on Aerenwe is what is presented in the original box set. Can anybody out there help me out? I'm looking for things like more detailed maps (like the ones in the player secrets books), names, noble houses, npcs, heraldry, special holidays, sights of interest, background happenings, rumors, and general flavor. I've already been trying to make my own maps and npc's, and am doing pretty well, but theres no way to get the amount of detail I would like without having something to go from. Plus if I want it to blend well with the rest of the realms, balance, and no need to re-invent the wheel after all, but now I'm rambling. So any help would be utmost appreciated.

Thanks.
    Regards,
    Ausrick

Downloads
    Uploads
    i don't have answers, but i have a related question

Why is the regent of Aerenwe a Queen? When did the regents of Aerenwe get that title and how? Does it mean that they do not recognise the Iron Throne any more? Does it have to do with the fact that Michael's wife was an Aerenwe heir?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by A_dark
    I have a related question

Why is the regent of Aerenwe a Queen? When did the regents of Aerenwe get that title and how? Does it mean that they do not recognise the Iron Throne any more? Does it have to do with the fact that Michael's wife was an Aerenwe heir?
    I hold that the titles of "duke" and "king" are both of the same rank. The only difference between the titles is that a king claims to be entirely soveriegn, while the dukes acknowledge the overlordship of the Emperor.

In terms of diplomatic protocal, the oldest title takes presedence. In terms of normal prestige, the ruler would be judged by several factors at once, including the antiquity of their title, the size of their realm, the reputed strength of their bloodline, their marriages and alliances, and their reputation. Probabaly or approximatly in this order.

So, by switching from the ducal to the royal title, Aerenwe is both removing itself from any claims to the Iron Throne and stating in advance that it will not recognize any future Emperor as overlord in Aerenwe. In terms of rank, it means nothing, and Aerenwe no doubt dates the origin of its title from when they were made dukes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck
    I hold that the titles of "duke" and "king" are both of the same rank. The only difference between the titles is that a king claims to be entirely soveriegn, while the dukes acknowledge the overlordship of the Emperor.

In terms of diplomatic protocal, the oldest title takes presedence. In terms of normal prestige, the ruler would be judged by several factors at once, including the antiquity of their title, the size of their realm, the reputed strength of their bloodline, their marriages and alliances, and their reputation. Probabaly or approximatly in this order.

So, by switching from the ducal to the royal title, Aerenwe is both removing itself from any claims to the Iron Throne and stating in advance that it will not recognize any future Emperor as overlord in Aerenwe. In terms of rank, it means nothing, and Aerenwe no doubt dates the origin of its title from when they were made dukes.
    I really like your idea here. Think I'll adopt it myself.

Downloads
    Uploads

Order of precedence?

It would be interesting to see - if an emporer were crowned, what would be the order of precedence into his / her first royal court.
    Some of the older lines have titled themselves as queen or prince - would they need to drop their title in favour of a lesser one to be accepted into the royal presence?
    I realise that if one of the current contenders got the crown, it would make a great difference as to the order and some nobles would be moving to another empire rather than give up what they have to one of their rivals.
    But say an unknown - not politcally aligned - got the job? Would they all turn up if only to 'test the water'? That first march of royal precedence would have a huge effect on later politics (my assumption anyway).
    Doyle

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that anyone who is anyone would turn up to the coronation of a new emperor - absence would give rivals a chance to plot and strongly suggest a slight to the new emperor - who will quite possibly want to find a common enemy to focus his subjects minds outwards.

I would say though that it is hard to see a complete unknown getting the job, unless as a figurehead for an established power (say Ghoere).

As regards precedence I think you under-estimate the role of minions, any such event is preceded (barring imminent invasion/war) with days of celebrations to a) get the peasants in the mood to cheer the new emperor and b) give the minions time to agree who will praise the new emperor first, who will bow from the waist and who from the knee, what titles people should use, what colour dress Duchess Brosengae will wear to make sure that it doesn't clash with Princes Aubrae's dress, etc.

It would probably either be at the end of a Sword and Crown (if you don't have the adventure think Olympics crossed with UN summit crossed with Davos) or a similar event.

From a practical point the precedence would basically be the supporters first, the non-supporters too powerful to ignore or who can be bribed with status, and then the others. Whether there was general title inflation - every current duke becomes a prince/king etc or whether the exceptions were ruled down would probably depend on who the supporters were.

Prince Avan, unless the new emperor/marrying Aubrae to the new emperor, would almost certainly ensure that his rank wasn't reduced - so the ranks could go emperor-prince-duke-baron-count-lord

If Duke Boruine/Ghoere then the ranks might be emperor-duke-baron-count-lord

If Aerenwe emperor-king-prince/duke-baron-count-lord-squire-knight.

I note that P7 ROE from the boxed set said that the old system had both dukes and princes, with princes as members of the royal family. (The Avan's are clearly making their claim very public with their rank, while the Boruine maintaining a dignified use of their historic rank).

Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 09:56 AM 5/19/2005 +0200, A_dark wrote:

>i don`t have answers, but i have a related question :)

>

>Why is the regent of Aerenwe a Queen? When did the regents of Aerenwe get

>that title and how? Does it mean that they do not recognise the Iron

>Throne any more? Does it have to do with the fact that Michael`s wife was

>an Aerenwe heir?

In more early medieval parlance it`s not terribly unusual for "king" (and

most noble titles, for that matter) to be much more figurative than a sort

of estimation of their overall influence. A king might really be the

equivalent of what we might think of as little more than a mayor or local

chieftain. In the case of Aerenwe that seems like the most likely

explanation. The title is ancient and connected to the early tribal period

of Anuire. Though the rulers of Aerenwe might have long since proferred

the allegiance to another ruler (who is, after all, the leader of the

"empire" which is a higher title) the king/queen title may have been

continued without any real sense that it need be changed.

Alternatively, there was a period of "titular inflation" that occurred in

Europe around the 17th through 19th centuries. Barons became counts,

counts became earls, etc. Even kings and queens became emperors. This

might be what happened in the case of Aerenwe as a noble (maybe a crown

prince or a duke) was installed in the throne of that "kingdom" during the

period of Anuirean expansion and had his title "inflated." It`s possible

this title was one of the few that remained after the collapse of the

empire and/or that most of the others died out. Given the range of titles

and histories of the various Anuirean realms either interpretation could work.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Heck Avan is a prince.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just face it - the titles of rulers in BR is all over the place. The Queen of

Aerenwe (she did come to power recently, so may have assumed a title to her

liking), the Baron of Diemed (which is inarguably a Duchy) etc.

B
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    To me Aerenwe is similar (refering to "terra") with Singapore as Calrie, and within little India for the Caerliennen-castle.. Go there into details with your research. EI

Thread Information