Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scouts raping blessed elite infantry with ease,archers doing the same thing to knights that charge them,my regent's elite guard with battlewise and sceptre of cuiraceen gets raped by a half strength irregular unit(blasted by a spell).......

This is starting to annoy me frankly.

Well at least in PBEMs stuff is more realistic......

Downloads
    Uploads
    How closely are you directing the battles? Your units do better the more you "supervise" their performance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a very, very old PC game. That must be taken into consideration when comparing it to anything you are used to playing in the present.

When I got the game my 450 processor was cosidered too fast for the game to recognize that should give you some perspective on the game design at the time.

When compared to anything in the recent computer genre it drastically pales, especially things like Rome: total War or any of the Civ games (personal favorite is Civ III: Conquests, with the Rise and Rule mod).

The game was designed to be abridge between RPGs and a Civ styled resource level game. It wasn't as good at either as was a game totally devoted to one or the other, but it did do a decent job of combining them - something the maarket hadn't done at the time.
    Duane Eggert

Im not using the auto-calc if thats what you mean(its heavily broken)

See the scenarios i listed......all those things should really never ever happen.......superior stats should decide everything.

If a knight charges a bunch of scouts the scouts should get totalled in the matter of seconds.

If the regent's elite guard buffed with relics and spells go up against normal infantry theres no reason the infantry should win the fight.

Why use expensive,more powerful units with better stats,if a weaker unit can just win a 1 on 1 fight?

No reason........

I wish a Birthright 2 comes out........

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Question@Apr 29 2005, 05:14 AM
    AMEN TO THAT!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by irdeggman@Apr 29 2005, 01:29 AM
    The game was designed to be abridge between RPGs and a Civ styled resource level game. It wasn't as good at either as was a game totally devoted to one or the other, but it did do a decent job of combining them - something the maarket hadn't done at the time.
    That's true enough. Sometimes it seems like I'm the only one around here who doesn't worship the ground that game walks on. I'm actually amazed that people still play it considering its age.

My friends and I, perhaps unfairly considering the time that the game was released, have had a lot of fun at the expense of this game. There are of course the little things... like the fact that the Flamestrike and Turn Undead spells seem to be reversed (making Turn Undead absolutely devastating against human units... which is amusing since it also comes with a fire visual effect and the sounds of people horribly burning. But then again, flamestrike does much the same, just not as well, leaving you to wonder what exactly is happening when you turn undead :lol: ).

Other minor things that are good for a laugh: the voice acting for the awnsheghlien and the adventures. Rhuobhe Manslayer sounds like a woman and the Spider just sounds like someone speaking into a plastic cup. Now I realize that elves are fairie creatures, but I've never imagined male elves speaking that way, particularly Rhuobhe Manslayer.
    Within the adventures themselves, which sometimes seem quite impossible for me unless I use the cheat codes (or the Find Object/ Teleport combination), very funny voice acting is combined with hilarious lines like "Rarr! I'm gonna get ya!" and "C'mon let me kill ya!" The best, however, remains a classic line said in a nasal voice: "Stand and fight, I will take your Birthright!" :lol:

Of course, all those things add a little charm to the game, but it's the major flaws that get my blood boiling whenever I try to play. For one, the AI has no sense of territorial integrity, so you'll find Rhuobhe Manslayer declaring war on every realm between Rhuannoch and his true target: Coeranys - just so that he can go over to Coeranys and invest a couple provinces. Naturally, along the way he's defeated and occupied several non-contiguous provinces in Alamie, Ghoere, and Elinie. After a while, there are no contiguous realms left except yours... everything else is a patchwork of provinces owned by random people. You're playing Aerenwe and you want to invade Roesone? Well you've just got to declare war on Cariele first. Does it make sense? Nope... but you've got to do it anyways.
    The biggest trouble I had was that if the AI decides you don't need a province anymore, you WILL lose it. You can be as effective as you want with Endier, but if Avanil decides to divest that province there's nothing you can do, even if you spend your vast reserves of RP in opposition. Ergo, you lose the game since Endier has only one province (I suppose in the original rules, which the game follows, there's nothing stopping you from divesting random provinces... but even so, after spending 300 RP in opposition to repeated attempts and then losing the game, one gets pretty frustrated).

My point after all this is that even for it's time, it was a deeply flawed game (even the graphics look like they were produced four or five years before the game came out, which I think was in 1997). Now I realize that the game was probably produced on a shoe-string budget, but like an old B-grade movie, that doesn't stop me from poking fun at it and occasionally firing it up for nostalgia's sake.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Benjamin+Apr 29 2005, 12:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Benjamin @ Apr 29 2005, 12:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Question@Apr 29 2005, 05:14 AM
    AMEN TO THAT&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Given the current state of technology, I can&#39;t imagine that it would be too difficult for someone with moderate programming skills to create an open source freeware/shareware game that blows the original game out of the water.

Anyone want to volunteer? :lol:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fearless_Leader schrieb:

>This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

> You can view the entire thread at:

> http://www.birthright.net/forums/ind...=ST&f=2&t=3079

>

>...

>My friends and I, perhaps unfairly considering the time that the game was released, have had a lot of fun at the expense of this game. There are of course the little things... like the fact that the Flamestrike and Turn Undead spells seem to be reversed (making Turn Undead absolutely devastating against human units... which is amusing since it also comes with a fire visual effect and the sounds of people horribly burning. But then again, flamestrike does much the same, just not as well, leaving you to wonder what exactly is happening when you turn undead :lol: ).

>

>

As far as I remember the "Turn Undead works against living units" bug

had been removed with a patch. Are you using patch 1.0.0.4?

>Of course, all those things add a little charm to the game, but it`s the major flaws that get my blood boiling whenever I try to play. For one, the AI has no sense of territorial integrity, so you`ll find Rhuobhe Manslayer declaring war on every realm between Rhuannoch and his true target: Coeranys - just so that he can go over to Coeranys and invest a couple provinces. Naturally, along the way he`s defeated and occupied several non-contiguous provinces in Alamie, Ghoere, and Elinie. After a while, there are no contiguous realms left except yours... everything else is a patchwork of provinces owned by random people. You`re playing Aerenwe and you want to invade Roesone? Well you`ve just got to declare war on Cariele first. Does it make sense? Nope... but you`ve got to do it anyways.

>

If you look at a map of Germany before Napoleon then you will see that

this situation is actually quite accurate historically.

bye

Michael

Yea the turn undead thing is fixed.Another problem though in the 1.4 patch is that magic spells randomly seem to have no effect sometimes.They slam into the enemy and....thats it.No damage no nothing.Strange.Gets annoying when you spam out 6 death spells on a unit and it doesnt do anything.

AI also cheats.....blatantly.Their missles instantly ready up whenever they move into a square,and up to now i dont see any difference with battlewise/sceptre of cuiraceen/bless army effects.......my untis still keep losing to cheap,inferior units(elite infantry to infantry,etc).Record?A scout unit annihilating 2 knight units that charge it while suffering only minor casaulties.

And they dont seem to obey fundamental rules either.

Like,how you need to also own the castle in a province to demand the territory.Well guess what,AI doesnt need to do that,so bhalaene keeps getting given away to coerayns for example,and its just insane.I think we can agree stuff like that doesnt make sense.

I also cant figure out why theres a investure spell as you cant seem to cast it as a realm spell.

And i think you must be mistaken,the only times the AI can take provinces away from you like that is if you actually let them occupy it and take down the castle......that implies you were getting your ass kicked and had avanil troops in endier occupying it.

I also found the constant spending of RP to stop them from contesting holdings and such a PAIN.Particularly when they do it every turn.Or how about alliance requests?They just spam you with it...every ACTION.

Adventures : constant crashing in the middle of them........mostly happens when you move the camera around or start combat.Something about the memory could not be read or exceptions.I dont recall having this in win98.

The main problem?You cant seem to kill regents.Oh sure you can kill the entire guard but the regent always survives to retreat.Even if you have the surrounding provinces occupied they dont die.The only way it seems would be to use the auto-calc where regents/lietenants are mysteriously given absurd values.A regent&#39;s normal elite infantry can take 4 units of knights down with it for example,while in the battle tiself,its just normal elite infantry.

On the other hand AI keeps getting their regents killed......oh its just obscence........you&#39;d think that giving them 40 GB tribute per turn and having a sizable amount of provinces to muster everything they wanted would keep them safe but they just keep dying off.

Also note that the chimaeron is depicted as a normal female wizard,and wears full plate and uses a dagger o.O.

Wizard towers ; bugged,doesnt do shit.You cant upgrade them,and they dont stop armies from capturing a province.

Sword of roele : anyone know where to get this?Or the banner of the gorgon?I cant seem to find any adventures that has them as the quest object.Seems only obtainable via cheating.

The most painful thing of all : conquering a realm and having to build all the holdings yourself,and rule them up.CHRIST.Manuel says you are supposed to get all the remaining holdings when you conquer the realm but does it happen?noooooo......

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The sword of Roele is hidden in the adventure you do in Ilien. There is a dark passage beneath the count&#39;s castle and the sword is hidden in there somewhere. Been too long since I last played it to give you better directions that that.

I don&#39;t recall any banner of the Gorgon. There is one banner you can find, but that is in a normal adventure and I certainly was able to find it.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Thread Information